Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sorry guys, I didn't get the new images built this weekend. I will keep trying.

Addison: You need to format the card into two partitions. The first partition should be FAT32 and it should be fairly small, no bigger than 2 GB. The rest of the card should have an ext2 partition.

GParted is quite graphical and straightforward. Make sure you choose your SD card in the drop-down box in the top right, and then you can repartition just by clicking on the different coloured partitions. Since you seem to have blanked the card anyway, I'd delete the existing partitions and create new ones. In fact, you could probably tell it to make a new partition table, wiping the whole card.

One thing that might help when making the first FAT32 partition is to uncheck the "round to cylinders" option and make sure that you leave 8MB free at the beginning of the card. Lots of cards leave a bit of space at the beginning like that. Not sure why, just something they do.

Can you try to use the GParted live CD to do repartition your card, and then ask specific questions about places in the procedure where you're having problems?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, I'll give it another try with gparted in about 15 minutes.

Anyway, in Windows XP, I right clicked on the SD card and formatted the whole thing to fat32 but the card still remains corrupted no matter what I do.

Good times! *lol*

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Addison: In XP, try

Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage \ Disk Management

Right-click on the SD card, choose "Delete Partition" and then make a new partition and format it as FAT32.

If it is still corrupted, take the card out of the computer, and see how far away you can stand and still hit the garbage can with the card.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Okay. I'm currently in the middle of doing this though.

Looks like it might take about 10 more minutes. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Balls. *lol*

What filthy crap have I done now?

I never should have tried this over the weekend while getting bubbly on a few beers.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Addison: In XP, try

Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage \ Disk Management

Right-click on the SD card, choose "Delete Partition" and then make a new partition and format it as FAT32.

If it is still corrupted, take the card out of the computer, and see how far away you can stand and still hit the garbage can with the card.
Delete Partition is not available.

Do these SandDisk cards microwave easily?

Addison:
Try the GParted Live CD.
After that, I'm fresh out of ideas. I don't know why things aren't working for you. I'm no SD card format guru...
Weird that the card looks fine ("healthy") in Windows but not in the tablet!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Addison:
Try the GParted Live CD.
After that, I'm fresh out of ideas. I don't know why things aren't working for you. I'm no SD card format guru...
Weird that the card looks fine ("healthy") in Windows but not in the tablet!
I just put in another memory card that has been faithful to me for over two years and the tablet is saying that even that is now corrupted.

I have Easy Debian installed but no image file.

I think what happened is that I had your image file on the memory card but didn't have it partitioned correctly.

Your app then started to download the image and I tried stopping it in some stupid way.

Looks like a reflash is needed.

Oh well. This way I can screw up, I mean start up all over again.

Let this be a lesson to all of you kids... Never drink and (use a computer) drive. *lol*

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Hi Qole

Dunno what the problem for most people is this seemed to go really easy on my 800. BUT.......

Maybe I didnt do it right.

I installed easy debian from maemo and downloaded the image to my pc. I then unpacked the ext2 image and copied it to my external SD.

When I ran chroot it said it found the image I then ran lxde and it loaded fine.

Browser works, xterm works, su works, filemanager works, open office ....well i am still waiting for any of the ooapps to load 30minutes.

When I look in filemanager at home/user it says I have 935mb free from a total of 1.5gb. So did I miss a step and not install it correctly since other posts i have seen say there should only be about 80mb left?

Would this be why openoffice wont load?

Also I want to install XAMPP is there any advice you can offer.

Other than this I think this is awesome.

BTW how do I get the package manager to work within debian it says i need a password but cant find what it might be. su seems to work without needing one.

cheers

Jim Barnes

-edit-

Just ignore the question about the loading speed of oo apps I didnt realise that i installed easy debian in my cloned install instead of in the internal which i have now done and the apps load in about 4 minutes.

-edit-

I also worked out what the issue with the size of available memory was about. it was because of the cloned install using a fs2 partition and easy debian automatically recognised it as part of its install and was showing the free space from the clone install.

Last edited by jimbarnes; 2010-04-16 at 14:40.

Addison, hordeman, anyone else who is interested:

I have made a slightly smaller (1.9 GB) image file with exactly the same stuff that's in the N900 version. Can someone try downloading it and testing it with their N8x0? If it still says "not found" I will try making the image even smaller (1.8 GB? 1.7?), but I'm hoping that this will be enough.

Here's the file. It needs lzma (or 7zip) to decompress it, so you may have to do that on a desktop computer. I haven't really had much time to check these things on my N800 lately...

debian-n8x0-v3c.img.ext2.lzma

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free