Active Topics

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Version 0.0.8-1 has been uploaded to the repository and the Garage page.

New functionality:
+ Album search for the currently playing song.
+ Artist search for the currently playing song. This search is limited to 200 songs.

Changes:
* Compiled for speed.

To think about:
Sometimes the artist search crashes. I have no idea what causes this. As far as I know, this might very well be the result of some albums not having tracks connected to them or something similar to this. I'm investigating this.

To not clutter the UI more than needed, the new search buttons are located in the application menu. Keep in mind that getting all the albums for a productive artist will take time on a slow connection.

Play around with this and give feedback on how it works and how it's designed. As have been suggested, being able to start a new search directly from a search result might be interesting but I'm not sure it would be easy to implement in a clean way, UI wise.

EDIT:
I just noticed that I forgot to bump the version number in the binary. This new version will, falsely, identify itself as 0.0.7-2. I will not make a new release to fix this.

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
First impressions of the new version are good. I can now search for an artist and listen to an album which is quite often how I use spotify.

As for doing this after searching, prehaps a long press could be impimented? I.e, search for an artist, find a song on the album you want to listen to and long press to get an menu to either choose search album or artist?

Originally Posted by mornage View Post
First impressions of the new version are good. I can now search for an artist and listen to an album which is quite often how I use spotify.
The typical use case for me is to do a search and start from the top. Searching for an album is most stable at the moment.

If you search for an artist, all tracks are concatenated into one long playlist. This makes the most sense to me and lets me listen to a whole lot of songs without having to search again or interact with the client.

As for doing this after searching, prehaps a long press could be impimented? I.e, search for an artist, find a song on the album you want to listen to and long press to get an menu to either choose search album or artist?
I'm thinking about discriminating by looking at which column has been picked when double tapping on a row. Double tap on artist name and an artist search is done. Double tap on the album name and an album search is done.

The biggest problem with this approach is screen estate. Sometimes very little of the album name is displayed and if I compress the columns any more, it might look odd. That and not having users getting very confused by doing a search when they wanted to listen to a song...

Long press and a pop up menu makes the most sense. I'll look into that.

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
If you search for an artist, all tracks are concatenated into one long playlist. This makes the most sense to me and lets me listen to a whole lot of songs without having to search again or interact with the client.
Only problem with that approach is that I quite often end up with the same song several times in the list. such as when an artsist has a couple of live albums, a best of or two and songs on a soudtrack.

I'm thinking about discriminating by looking at which column has been picked when double tapping on a row. Double tap on artist name and an artist search is done. Double tap on the album name and an album search is done.

The biggest problem with this approach is screen estate. Sometimes very little of the album name is displayed and if I compress the columns any more, it might look odd. That and not having users getting very confused by doing a search when they wanted to listen to a song...
That would work for me, and would make it more like the way spotify works. I think you wouldn't really need to adjust the columns either as there tends to be enough of the album name to realise which album it is. The biggest problem would be for new users wanting to listen to a song and ending up searching the artist.

Long press and a pop up menu makes the most sense. I'll look into that.
Another idea - a sort function that could be implemted into the application menu. That way after you search you could organse by artist or album then start you playback from the desired point? Of course, knowing nothing about coding I have no idea how easy anything is to implement so I'll leave it to you work out the best way.

Version 0.0.8-2 has been uploaded to the repository and the Garage page. Regard this as a bug hunt release to make album and artist search work properly.

Changes:
* A pop up menu has been added when tapping and holding on a search result row. The menu offers searching for album or artist for the currently selected row.
* The search buttons in the app menu now behaves differently if they are clicked while in the search view or not. When in the search view, search is done based on the currently selected row. When not in the search view they behave as before.

To think about:
The client has now gotten another layer of complexity since the search result view is used for more things. This in turn requires more internal states to behave in good ways offering more ways to fsck things up when they don't.

I've noticed that it's not too hard to make the client crash by doing a few different searches in a row and I'm assuming this is on account of me having added more ways to update the search view.

If you want to help with testing and debugging, please take care to note the order of things you do when making the client crash.

The pop up menu opens up in a bad place, being covered by my finger if I'm using my right hand, but works as intended when using the stylus. This is the reason I made the buttons in the application menu act like they do now. This makes finger navigation much friendlier.

One bug found and fixed:
Do ordinary search.
Search for an album or artist in that search result.
Do another ordinary search.

=> Crash!

This fix will be included in next release.

EDIT:
Another, related, bug found and fixed:
Do album search.
Do another album search.

=> Crash!

Same for artist search.

EDIT 2:
There seems to be a bug in despotify that gets triggered by:
Do an album search.
Do another album search (which, as a side effect, deallocates the last album search result).
Do an artist search.

=> Crash!

I'm guessing the search results are interdependant in some way. I'll have a look in the despotify code.

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-06-13 at 17:21.

Originally Posted by mornage View Post

Another idea - a sort function that could be implemted into the application menu. That way after you search you could organse by artist or album then start you playback from the desired point? Of course, knowing nothing about coding I have no idea how easy anything is to implement so I'll leave it to you work out the best way.
Sorting in this context is especially tricky. First level of tricky is how it's handled in GTK+-2.0 with GtkTreeViews. Second level of tricky is to build a new playlist after sorting is done.

Assuming the sorting has been done, rebuilding the playlist would entitle iterating through all entries in the list and concatenating as we go (which, now that I think about it) wouldn't be that hard.

I'll look into some kind of sorting for search results and playlists as soon as album and artist search feels a bit more stable.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hey, great work joorin. Howerver. I have a problem. I can only use footify if I start it from terminal. Otherwise footify crach when I start my first track. Strange

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hey, great work joorin. Howerver. I have a problem. I can only use footify if I start it from terminal. Otherwise footify crach when I start my first track. Strange
That is indeed strange. How many times have you tried?

And have you updated to the latest version?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yes, uninstalled and installed again. 10-15 times