Active Topics

doh! silly me, sorry

Glasswalker

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I've updated the bootmenu.deb on the repo, now it's 1.2-1, and source is at garage. New bootmenu due to initfs SSU.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Good stuff. I'm currently without my charger, but I'll give it a shot either tonight or tomorrow. I still haven't had time to troubleshoot my current install; hopefully everything will work out with the new one.
Thanks again for all the work, Stskeeps.

I've put up a new wiki page on http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deblet fitting with the new installer. The new 2.5 installer also includes new dm-loop support by Matan, which means Deblet-in-a-file should be speedier as well from now on.

If anyone could walk through instructions on page, or give comments on the wiki, and just generally test how the system is behaving with different environments, I'd appreciate it very much, as I'm getting closer to a solid system basis now.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think the bikeshed reference trivializes the project. The parable of painting the bikeshed is referring to everyone arguing over trivial points; that's not what's happening.

If you must use a metaphor, I would suggest that you're more like the proprieter of a buffet; you're letting people take their plates up and heap whatever they want onto them, even if it isn't very wise or healthy... For example, you make it possible to try to install Evolution or Azureus, the software equivalents (on the tablets) of french fries or deep-fried Mars bars. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Hi there,

OK, I gave it a new try with latest installer and LXDE. Everythig went absolutely flawless while setting up. Only one thing: No graphical networkmanager. But I've managed to get wireless working (editing etc/netwotk/interfaces) What I've noticed: it doesn't autmatically start up the interface on boottime, I've got to start it in root-term with ifup wlan0 (any hint where to place this so it does start on startup?)
No complaints or bugs from me so far, great work. Thanks :-)

When I look at the screenies on the deblet HP (for example cheese.png) I see that there is a gnome panel and brigthness-applet. Where can I get those?

Thanks in advance,
Glasswalker

Originally Posted by Glasswalker View Post
Only one thing: No graphical networkmanager.
That's weird. /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet-showinall.desktop or something there?

When I look at the screenies on the deblet HP (for example cheese.png) I see that there is a gnome panel and brigthness-applet. Where can I get those?
I'm going to package them up eventually, it's pretty simple to work with. Maybe we'll even get stuff like advanced backlight on instead

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
That's weird. /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet-showinall.desktop or something there?
What I got in this directory: nm-applet-all.desktop and nm-applet.desktop but not the one you mentioned. Something missing there?

I'm going to package them up eventually, it's pretty simple to work with. Maybe we'll even get stuff like advanced backlight on instead
Sounds quite cool :-) Hope to see them soon :-D Any way to get brigthness-controll or something for controlling dimmingtimes ATM?

Regards,
Glasswalker

Okay - I had everything installed - the boot menu for deblet is there, however it stalls after printing "Starting image file linuxrc" and eventually just reboots

Installation Type:
sid, ext2 img file on external (tried to do 4gb, but it stopped at 2gb due to FAT limits - wonder if this caused issues).

Bootmenu version 1.2-1
Deblet-install version 2.5

bootmenu.d item:
PHP Code:
ITEM_NAME="Deblet-in-a-file on External-MMC-p1"
ITEM_ID="deblet-file-External-MMC-p1"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_MODULES="mbcache ext2"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_FSOPTIONS="rw,noauto,nodev,nosuid,utf8,uid=29999"
ITEM_LINUXRC="deblet.img.linuxrc" 
Anyone have any ideas?
-----------
Update: My "guess" is that it is not finding the linuxrc file within the img file. I added a quick check on the existence of the linuxrc file:
PHP Code:
text2screen -s 2 -H center -y 80 -T 0 -"Starting image file linuxrc.."
if [ ! -/mnt/new_root/deblet_tmp/linuxrc ]; then
        text2screen 
-s 2 -H center -y 100 -T 0 -"Missing linuxrc?"

sleep 10
fi
exec 
/mnt/new_root/deblet_tmp/linuxrc 
and it ends up printing the "Missing linuxrc" ordeal...

Last edited by psykosis; 2008-10-06 at 03:38.

Originally Posted by Glasswalker View Post
But I've managed to get wireless working (editing etc/netwotk/interfaces) What I've noticed: it doesn't autmatically start up the interface on boottime, I've got to start it in root-term with ifup wlan0 (any hint where to place this so it does start on startup?)
In /etc/network/interfaces there either is (or you need to add) a line that says:

auto wlan0

It probably says

auto usb0

or something similar.. just add wlan0 after the usb0 or remove the usb0 and add wlan0.. whatever. It's a list of interfaces to "auto"matically start at boot time.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet bootmenu installer