Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
(and a more scratch resistant screen)
This point is arguable, but at the very least my N900 has survived a chest-level drop onto carpet. The same cannot be said for my sister's 3G.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
If not for multitouch, I don't think I want a capacitive screen. I often use my pen as a stylus while also using it to take notes in class, it's precise and quite handy feature of resistive screen.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
OK, capacitive vs. resistive is a difficult decision for some people, I guess... not for me

As for the apps, I don't think the iPhone had a whole bunch of apps back when Apple hadn't even launched it yet... and the price, is it really more expensive? How much is an unlocked iPhone in the states, $800+?
As far as the screen, I think both of them are inferior to an active digitizer. But to each his own.

You're right, the iPhone didn't have apps when it came out but the N900 wasn't competing with it back then. It's competing with what exists now and you can't blame reviewers for pointing that out.

You're also right that the unlocked iPhone is more expensive than an N900. But almost nobody buys unlocked iPhones in the states - they buy locked phones and gripe about the ATT network. The problem is that there is no discount from carriers if you provide your own phone. The voice and data plans that you will have to buy to support the N900 are the same price as those voice and data plans with a deeply discounted phone.

Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Uh... just out of morbid curiosity: What can you do on an iPhone that you can't on an N900? I can think of a whole list of things that the N900 can do, that the iPhone can't... but the other way around?
I found one: Sync multiple google calendars over-the-air

You're also right that the unlocked iPhone is more expensive than an N900. But almost nobody buys unlocked iPhones in the states - they buy locked phones and gripe about the ATT network. The problem is that there is no discount from carriers if you provide your own phone. The voice and data plans that you will have to buy to support the N900 are the same price as those voice and data plans with a deeply discounted phone.
Hopefully that will be one of TMobile's Project Black changes.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I find it a little surprising that everybody who praises the N900 is "technically adept" while others (Eldar, for example) get bashed here.
You have a good point. I think this way, but can't put it in any other way. Maybe he's not into convergence as much as the average geek? Hell, what am I saying? He's typical American techie that THINKS he's an ubergeek! Or something. He's an idiot is so overused, and I don't think he is, just not sold on full convergence yet like me.

While i do understand the emotional aspect of "Us Maemo Good", we have to acknowledge that as a smartphone (and the 'phone'-part is what this thread is about), the N900 still has to catch up with... well, all other competitors. Including Nokias S60 line.
ESPECIALLY S60! I bet a clicking a phone number in the browser doesn't initiate a call. This is where N900 will teach us where we need to go, and what we'll need to make it the phone the Hero, N97, N86, iPhone, TP2, and Blackberry all are. Not computing, just calling and communications. The N900's web communications are second to none, but the legacy networks are still the defacto way to communicate.

As far as the screen, I think both of them are inferior to an active digitizer. But to each his own.
Sounds good to me.

Well that sucks... how come? Over here (Germany) contracts without a phone cost a helluva lot less...

unlocked devices are not very publicized, though Best Buy has raised their visibility in the last year. The manufacturers can't market their unlocked devices because of contracts with the carriers. You can get discounts on att on data, but its nothing major. Also, many major devices like the iPhone are near impossible to buy unlocked unless you go online, and phone sales online isn't as big as buying brick and mortar in the US.

Our carriers have alot of power, and act as cartels. They stymie user adoption of high end devices and features. The big knock on S60 was circumventing the ringtone business, among other things, and the carriers wanted the OS crippled in order to carry them.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hopefully that will be one of TMobile's Project Black changes.
It's on my wish list too.