Active Topics

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Before the N900, there was the 770. And after it, the N800 and N810.

I own two of the four aforementioned devices.
I am well aware of the other Maemo Powered tablets - Like I said I DID MY RESEARCH.

I even ran Mer in a VB before I purchased the N900 from the Nokia Store.

The point of @guber99 NOT doing his research before purchasing the phone was proven WAY before me and you stayed this little sub-thread - Nokia didn't say this phone supports Microsoft Exchange Email and Calender Sync - For Christ's Sake it is a Linux Powered Device!!!!

That is like buying an Apple Powerbook and then getting mad when it doesn't run windows apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Actually, on these standard USB chargers, I can easily charge your Sony Ericssons, by changing a tip. Not so, with the N900.

And I'm with the fellas here, I bought it knowing what it was. But not quite convinced, tbh. There were features missing I wished wasn't missing.
Nokia is simply compling with the European directive for microUSB charger. I can change a tip on a multi charger and achieve the same. I think you will find the same issue occurs with newer Blackberry devices too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Nokia is simply compling with the European directive for microUSB charger. I can change a tip on a multi charger and achieve the same. I think you will find the same issue occurs with newer Blackberry devices too.
I was at my brother's house and my N900 died . . . lucky his Boost Mobile Motorola uses the same charge!!!!

I wish that it was the STANDARD mini USB but I guess the microUSB will become more wide spread in the future.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
The N900 does not support one of the most usual ways to transfer contact information over Bluetooth to a hands free device. It's the closest thing to a standard that isn't officially a standard. That it would not be compatible with my car HU was impossible to find out without buying one and trying it for myself. I had an idea that it might not be, because I have that experience with other products, but there was no amount of searching that could give me the answer unless I started to study ALL the bluetooth protocols to find out which one used to be used to transfer contact information over bluetooth.

Infact, the only answer if it was compatible or not, on the internet, exists on this site. And I wrote it. To myself.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you are not entirely correct on this one. I spent literally about 5 minutes with Wikipedia checking this and found the answer before the N900 was even released. Nokia also answered my email the same day. As both the web and email seem to be standard tools on the internet I am puzzled as to how you failed to find a simple solution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You're still missing the point, mrebanza.

It's a lot more complicated than enabling application catalogs, installing rootsh, making sure apps are optified, and ultimately does it fit into your lifestyle.

Guber99, albeit rather annoyingly; has a true issue with provisioning and MS Exchange. Provisioning needs to have some combination, in most deployments, to allow a device to synchronize to that company's MS Exchange mail server. If you're not the MS Exchange admin, it's highly doubtful that the company will change their policies for one device. Especially when other devices exist that will work "out of the box".

There's no setting, there's no command line, there's not a patch; there's not a hack, there's not... much of anything at this very moment to support that. To go along with that potentially frustrating situation; there's zero documentation before he purchased it - or after for that matter outside of these forums and his own findings - that support the fact that the N900 doesn't support certain provisioning types/limits/criteria, if at all (well, that's been stated in this thread or another at least a couple of times though).

Simply put, even if he had done his homework; he would still be stuck with a phone that does not support his work e-mail.

I'm glossing over a lot, ignoring some complaints (ok, a lot of the complaints) and yet that's the core of his situation.

Human Penguin is another user here that's having a problem with getting his USB connector fixed. Nokia policies say one thing, Vodafone UK is refusing to touch the thing... and he's had at least two or three different statements and he's in limbo not sure if his phone will be fixed or not; and that comes after the fact that it's been unofficially stated that the problem has been addressed. Apparently from the initial 300 that went out to a few of the first batch of N900's that were considered "production", the problem persists. To what extent... nobody from Nokia has established that yet.

That's yet another situation where doing your research would have led you to believe something other than what people are dealing with. In this case, "it was solved"... apparently it wasn't. It's not resolved, the statement(s) that Nokia will or will not fix it, consider it a manufacturing problem... that's up in the air.

The final thing... for me at least, is that despite doing research; there is no definitive answer for whether or not the N900 will receive Maemo 6 on it, in a full form, or not. That also means that Skype and other third party apps - much like they were left on the N810 - might get one, perhaps two upgrades before the Maemo 6 device debuts later this year.

That part... if you're doing your research; will not be resolved. Those things; and many more are important to people making a decision. And there's no clear answer(s), no clear way to get those things answered other than patience.

And that's what I've decided to do. I'll not budge until I have each and every answer to my concerns answered. Not a moment before.

The whole "go somewhere else" mentality has got to go... you, or myself, do not control, own, nor dictate who stays, goes, or whatever should happen whilst here. Instead, we can get upset about petty stuff - I allowed myself a rant earlier - or we can remain civil, try to actually add to the community, document those grievances, when their answered, add them to the wiki. If it's a good idea, create a Brainstorm. And if it's a grievance, stop acting like it's the end of the damn world - by the person complaining and the people complaining about the complaining.

I still do not have my proof that some documentation around certain grievances just don't exist nor are they addressed fully. And screaming, yelling, calling people trolls... doesn't solve a thing either.

Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
Bingo! Poor Nokia execution makes it a joke in USA as a cellular phone provider. No wonder they can not compete here in US
Maybe the US market being non-standard and of less interest than the rest of the world has something to do with it? Funnily enough the whole world doesn't revolve around the USA!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
That is like buying an Apple Powerbook and then getting mad when it doesn't run windows apps.
Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion and Parallels all facilitate that. I'd pick a better analogy.

Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion and Parallels all facilitate that. I'd pick a better analogy.
How did I know you were going to say that?

Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
NOKIA APOLOGIZERS are rampant here. Rabid species. they cant understand why they hold less than 5 percent of US market
You lost this and several other arguements the other day on here but continue to repost the same rubbish claiming that you aren't ranting. Maybe Nokia don't want to be big in the USA due to people such as yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
You're still missing the point, mrebanza.

It's a lot more complicated than enabling application catalogs, installing rootsh, making sure apps are optified, and ultimately does it fit into your lifestyle.

Guber99, albeit rather annoyingly; has a true issue with provisioning and MS Exchange. Provisioning needs to have some combination, in most deployments, to allow a device to synchronize to that company's MS Exchange mail server. If you're not the MS Exchange admin, it's highly doubtful that the company will change their policies for one device. Especially when other devices exist that will work "out of the box".

There's no setting, there's no command line, there's not a patch; there's not a hack, there's not....
So does that mean that you can't read MS Exchange e-mail even on a Linux Desktop Computer????

Tags
disclose before selling, extremism rules!, flamewar, here be ranting, learn before buying, misery loves company, never blame nokia, provisioning, troll, wgaf