Posts: 83 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ NIgeria
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
this does not sound right... for me it took maybe 5min to format my 64GB-card... maybe something is wrong with your card?
Leinad, I used Paragon Hard Disk manager suite 15 to format the sdxc card to ext4 on my windows and am using Ext2 software to mount it on my windows and am currently accessing it from my laptop. Took just a couple of minutes to format it, I will still try run the json command juiceme gave me to check for consistency, but juiceme you should give me the proper formatting command in case i need to do that again, and Leinad, I need more light to better follow up the tutorial

The Following User Says Thank You to dameceno For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by dameceno View Post
but juiceme you should give me the proper formatting command in case i need to do that again, and Leinad, I need more light to better follow up the tutorial
Hi!

I'm sorry I was on holidays and not able to get my hands on an empty SD card to run the partitioning on. The card I have in my Jolla now has 12GB of stuff on it and I'd need to backup that first before I could erase it

On monday when I get to work I'll check my drawers, should have some old SD cards lying there around that I can use.
If not, I'll have to back up my in-use card and reformat it.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Hi!

I'm sorry I was on holidays and not able to get my hands on an empty SD card to run the partitioning on. The card I have in my Jolla now has 12GB of stuff on it and I'd need to backup that first before I could erase it

On monday when I get to work I'll check my drawers, should have some old SD cards lying there around that I can use.
If not, I'll have to back up my in-use card and reformat it.
Enjoy your holidays I am sure you greatly deserve. There is no rush, as have formatted the sdxc with paragon Hardisk Manager suite and will give Leinad tutorial a trial to see if the formatting of the sdcard was decent enough, I know the risk involved here are only to my sdxc that might need reformatting, I should avoid Thorke's method this time around and resetting my device should not be necessary

HI guys.
Leinad, I want to give the tutorial another go, but am a little challenged with the creation of scripts, is the one on the first page the right way to go about it or is the ones on the 11th page the right ones, plus there is need for the entries /dev/mmcblk1p1 on the steps to be changed to /dev/mmcblk1 as that is the path jolla mounts my sdcards on... And also, the path /data/sdcard is no longer used by sailfish it has been replaced by /data/media so it should also be edited accordingly I suppose
Really want to get this right this time

Last edited by dameceno; 2016-02-27 at 15:03.

started the steps again, but unlike before i am stuck at the part where /dev/mmcblk1 has to be mounted on /mnt/sd the error reads "/dev/mmcblk1 is already mounted or /mnt/sd is busy"
running umount /dev/mmcblk1 says it isn't mounted so i guess the problem is from /mnt/sd still knowing that doesn't tell me how to solve it, have shutdown jolla and removed the battery for a while trying again after that gives me the same error, any ideas guys?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
What does "fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk1" say and does it make sense?

What about "blkid /dev/mmcblk1"?

If the card ist unformated, try to format it with btrfs:

mkfs.btrfs -O ^extref -f -L sdhome /dev/mmcblk1

The Following User Says Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
OK, now I backed up my SDcard to computer so managed to run through the repartitioning for your information.
  • 1. have the SD card in the Jolla device.
  • 2. Check if your /dev/mmcblk1p1 is mounted, if so, umount it.
  • 3. check what partitioning shows up:
    - Use command "fdisk /dev/mmcblk1"
    - When fdisk starts, enter option "p" to print out partition table. If you have something under the "Start" sector entry, note that number down. (for example, I have 8192 on my card.)
    - This geometry configuration is due to the way SD cards are constructed; if you do not have a partition there (like you have deleted it previously) the value 8192 is probably the safest to use.
  • 4. If you have any partitions, delete them:
    - Use option "d". If only one partition exists, it will be deleted. If more than one exists, it will prompt you which to delete.
  • 5. Create a new partition:
    - Use option "n".
    - fdisk will ask what kind of partition to create, answer "p" like primary partition.
    - fdisk will ask which number to create, answer "1".
    - fdisk will ask what is the start sector; now do not jus accept this, instead put in what was noted down in step 3.
    - fdisk will as for the last sector, just press return to accept default.
  • 6. Check what was created by option "p"
  • 7. Exit fdisk and save changes by option "w"
  • 8. Format your newly partitioned SD card as ext4;
    - Use command "mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk1p1"
  • 9. Mount your newly formatted card. If you do not have an entry in your /etc/fstab for the card, just mount in anywhere and check that it works.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
OK, now I backed up my SDcard to computer so managed to run through the repartitioning for your information.
  • 1. have the SD card in the Jolla device.
  • 2. Check if your /dev/mmcblk1p1 is mounted, if so, umount it.
  • 3. check what partitioning shows up:
    - Use command "fdisk /dev/mmcblk1"
    - When fdisk starts, enter option "p" to print out partition table. If you have something under the "Start" sector entry, note that number down. (for example, I have 8192 on my card.)
    - This geometry configuration is due to the way SD cards are constructed; if you do not have a partition there (like you have deleted it previously) the value 8192 is probably the safest to use.
  • 4. If you have any partitions, delete them:
    - Use option "d". If only one partition exists, it will be deleted. If more than one exists, it will prompt you which to delete.
  • 5. Create a new partition:
    - Use option "n".
    - fdisk will ask what kind of partition to create, answer "p" like primary partition.
    - fdisk will ask which number to create, answer "1".
    - fdisk will ask what is the start sector; now do not jus accept this, instead put in what was noted down in step 3.
    - fdisk will as for the last sector, just press return to accept default.
  • 6. Check what was created by option "p"
  • 7. Exit fdisk and save changes by option "w"
  • 8. Format your newly partitioned SD card as ext4;
    - Use command "mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk1p1"
  • 9. Mount your newly formatted card. If you do not have an entry in your /etc/fstab for the card, just mount in anywhere and check that it works.
So detailed so precised, you rock @juiceme, went well without a glitch, my start sector value was one, so changed it to the value you suggested and all went accordingly. I am now re-running the tutorial from page one, will let you guys know the outcome shortly. @Leinad, still haven't told me if the scripts on the first page are the right ones or the slightly different ones on the 11th page the ones to use for optimum results?....

Originally Posted by meemorph View Post
What does "fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk1" say and does it make sense?

What about "blkid /dev/mmcblk1"?

If the card ist unformated, try to format it with btrfs:

mkfs.btrfs -O ^extref -f -L sdhome /dev/mmcblk1
Thanks meemorph your help is so much appreciated. Tried following the tutorial with my card formatted with btrfs with no luck and since the ext4 linux file system is more popular and more reliable decided to go for it and see if I have better luck. Juiceme gave me detailed instructions to format and partition the card with fdisk and am now running the tutorial again to see if I will hit it this time. Have you been able to get yours working with btrfs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dameceno For This Useful Post:
Guys, I think I did, with all your help, my df -h output looks promising, infact I am so excited here is the output itself

Command df -h starting...
Filesystem
Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /
devtmpfs
404M 64K 404M 1% /dev
tmpfs
405M 200K 405M 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs
405M 31M 374M 8% /run
tmpfs
405M 0 405M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs
405M 4,0K 405M 1% /tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p18
64M 45M 20M 70% /firmware
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p19
7,9M 4,1M 3,9M 52% /drm
/dev/mmcblk0p25
7,9M 4,2M 3,8M 53% /persist
/dev/mmcblk0p9
48M 7,3M 41M 16% /var/systemlog
tmpfs
405M 0 405M 0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs
405M 0 405M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/mmcblk1p1
118G 1,6G 110G 2% /mnt/sd
/dev/mmcblk1p1
118G 1,6G 110G 2% /home/nemo
/dev/mmcblk1p1
118G 1,6G 110G 2% /data/media
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/data
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/bin
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/sbin
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/lib
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/usr
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/var
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/etc
tmpfs
405M 4,0K 405M 1% /opt/alien/tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/home
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/vendor
devtmpfs
404M 64K 404M 1% /opt/alien/dev
tmpfs
405M 200K 405M 1% /opt/alien/dev/shm
tmpfs
405M 0 405M 0% /opt/alien/sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs
405M 31M 374M 8% /opt/alien/run
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/media
/dev/mmcblk0p28
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/system_jolla
/dev/fuse
14G 4,1G 8,9G 32% /opt/alien/home/nemo/android_storage
/dev/fuse
118G 1,6G 110G 2% /home/nemo/android_storage
Program returned exit code 0

I might have a question or two more, let me check all is working well, as filecase doesn't see the sdcard...