Notices

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Well - the repository is there for Sygic users. Which if you've not bought it then it doesn't apply?

Its not a packaging error - the package from the Sygic repository contains the 'new' installation file for the updated app.

Neil
I'm sorry, Neil, but I cannot agree with you.

This is not the way that things work in the debian world, Maemo being a debian variant.

This is going to confuse users and readers of this forum, as anyone can find the repository through a search in the threads, and anyone is able to add the repository to the app manager.

As already said, though I could be wrong, debian policies do not allow for "incremental" updates. Every update to the available deb must contain the full application with all files, not just those "new" files.

Anyway, if this incremental update is the way Sygics wants to follow, then the debian package should have been marked with a dependency on the first package, that one from their site only available to buyers, so users like me cannot install the update from App manager.

It's the first time I found this kind of app deployment in the debian world, and due to it Sygic could be loosing customers which install an app that simply crashes without even a visual warning.

Or Sygic should make the full app available through the app manager and then deploy some activation key for buyers to activate it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by dalonso; 2010-04-15 at 14:17.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by dalonso View Post
I downloaded Sygic from the repository through AppManager.

Unfortunately, it is crashing with a segmentation fault. I ran it through strace and it seems that several files are missing like:

/home/opt/sygic/Drive/Maemo/skin/application.skin
/home/opt/sygic/Drive/Maemo/skin/english.lang

In fact, the full skin directory is missing.

http://sygic.com/maemo is giving now a 404, so I cannot download from the web in order to compare contents.

Can someone verify whether those files should be present, and this could be the actual reason for the crash?

Thx in advance.
I don't have that directory, and it runs fine for me.

EDIT: It does crash if you don't have the data/configuration directories installed - these are not in the mobile-maps-9 package though. There's maps packages and a mobile-maps package available, but I don't know what's in those. Otherwise you'll need to download the appropriate map installer program from Sygic - this should contain all the other files.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2010-04-15 at 18:07.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I'm sorry, Neil, but I cannot agree with you.

This is not the way that things work in the debian world, Maemo being a debian variant.

This is going to confuse users and readers of this forum, as anyone can find the repository through a search in the threads, and anyone is able to add the repository to the app manager.

As already said, though I could be wrong, debian policies do not allow for "incremental" updates. Every update to the available deb must contain the full application with all files, not just those "new" files.

Anyway, if this incremental update is the way Sygics wants to follow, then the debian package should have been marked with a dependency on the first package, that one from their site only available to buyers, so users like me cannot install the update from App manager.

It's the first time I found this kind of app deployment in the debian world, and due to it Sygic could be loosing customers which install an app that simply crashes without even a visual warning.

Or Sygic should make the full app available through the app manager and then deploy some activation key for buyers to activate it.

Just my 2 cents.
When were you going to pay for the app???

I'm sorry but, GTFO with they way things are done. How confused are you about that?

Maybe the way things were done are the reasons many things didn't get done.

I posted the repo that you searched for and found but that was for someone I thought had paid for the app. Now after reading you post, I'm sorry that I did.

So, I will go back and edit it out of my post and reference your post as the reason.

Thanks for the heads up dude.

SLN member # 009

thanks for the update

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
When were you going to pay for the app???
Now that I know what the process of deployment for Sygic Maps is, It's clear for me that I need to pay first for downloading the app.

But look at how the majority of deployment works for other pay-apps for Maemo like angrybirds: They are downloadable but in order to use it or to add additional contents you have to pay and download an activation key.

This is what I was expecting, and this is what many other users will be expecting. In fact, there is already one other user in another thread that was caught as well in the same mistake as me.

I'm sorry but, GTFO with they way things are done. How confused are you about that?
Fortunately, I had the minimal know-how to run after the problem (strace, deb packaging), so we could start this discussion here. So I was not so confused about that.

But what about other average users adding the repository and trying the program, getting a crash without a warning? Many of them will desist and think that Sygic product is not good, unfortunately spreading the word.

And this would be a pity, as I'm sure the product deserves it's good fame.

Maybe the way things were done are the reasons many things didn't get done.
Maybe, I can agree with you on that. But again, this problem can be solved with proper packaging of the update available at the repository, so it has the Sygic's deb at their site as a pre-requisite.

I posted the repo that you searched for and found but that was for someone I thought had paid for the app. Now after reading you post, I'm sorry that I did.
Don't feel sorry about that. Your info is ok, it only needed a clarification ...

So, I will go back and edit it out of my post and reference your post as the reason.
... that you already did. So far, so good.

Thanks for the heads up dude.
You're wellcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to dalonso For This Useful Post:
Now that I know what the process of deployment for Sygic Maps is, It's clear for me that I need to pay first for downloading the app.

But look at how the majority of deployment works for other pay-apps for Maemo like angrybirds: They are downloadable but in order to use it or to add additional contents you have to pay and download an activation key.

This is what I was expecting, and this is what many other users will be expecting. In fact, there is already one other user in another thread that was caught as well in the same mistake as me.

Fortunately, I had the minimal know-how to run after the problem (strace, deb packaging), so we could start this discussion here. So I was not so confused about that.

But what about other average users adding the repository and trying the program, getting a crash without a warning? Many of them will desist and think that Sygic product is not good, unfortunately spreading the word.

And this would be a pity, as I'm sure the product deserves it's good fame.

Maybe, I can agree with you on that. But again, this problem can be solved with proper packaging of the update available at the repository, so it has the Sygic's deb at their site as a pre-requisite.

Don't feel sorry about that. Your info is ok, it only needed a clarification ...

... that you already did. So far, so good.

You're wellcome.

Perhaps the problem is with distributions like they way you mention. Perhaps a paid update for programs like Angry Birds isn't available or has taken so long to become available is because of that. I don't know for sure, I'm just commenting on my observations.

It seems to me at least, the different approach that Sygic, Mobi, and other commercial applications are now taking may be the way that needs to be followed by others in order for their products to get to market. Both of these companies maintain separate repositories and they alone control the content.

Now that I think about it, that may be one of the factors in the decision for Meego not to rely on a debian distribution. However, that is perhaps a discussion for another thread.

I am a consumer/enthusiast/member of maemo.org. I am sorry if my response to you seemed terse. The reasons for my abruptness I also listed in the post that I edited. Another reason was the realization that I should pro'ly edit that post.

With all that said I would like to end this post by saying...

I bought Sygic not because of need, but because it was available. To me that trumps any sales that may be lost because it was not distributed through Ovi Store or in a way that causes any less confusion.

It is a fine product and well worth the money I spent.... about half the cost of a stand alone PND.

The program is on par with a generation old personal navigation device so it has room for improvement. The fact that it could be called a clone of one of those popular PND's means that the expected road map for these improvements has already been defined and in some cases confirmed by Sygic. For consumers, that's a good thing.

Because most of this programs GUI and "skin" is as exposed as it is, more and more "tweaks and mods" are being discovered everyday. For enthusiasts, who as hobbyists enjoy those discoveries, this is also a good thing

As a maemo.org member and active forum participant I hope announcement threads like this don't devolve into discussions about how to undermine the efforts of getting these products to "our" market. In the end, and IMHO that would be a bad thing.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-04-17 at 01:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
I bought Sygic not because of need, but because it was available. To me that trumps any sales that may be lost because of less confusion if it was distributed through Ovi Store.

It is a fine product and well worth the money I spent.... about half the cost of a stand alone PND.
I will of course buy the program as soon as maps for my country are available.

May I kindly ask you, though, for a third edit of your post?

Let's consider that not all people asking for help in this thread is "confused" about having to pay for the program. They may be simply confused about how to get the program, if they are used to install programs through app manager. As already explained, this was my confusion.

I do not think it was necessary at all to remove the repository info, but a simple remark about that repository being valid only if the user had previously bought the program.

I think both of us are in the same side, anyway.

Best regards.

The Following User Says Thank You to dalonso For This Useful Post:
I will of course buy the program as soon as maps for my country are available.

May I kindly ask you, though, for a third edit of your post?

Let's consider that not all people asking for help in this thread is "confused" about having to pay for the program. They may be simply confused about how to get the program, if they are used to install programs through app manager. As already explained, this was my confusion.

I do not think it was necessary at all to remove the repository info, but a simple remark about that repository being valid only if the user had previously bought the program.

I think both of us are in the same side, anyway.

Best regards.
I have edited the post yet again.

Now may I kindly ask that you read the whole thread from the begining in order to avoid any more confusion.

I would also suggest that we should not install any app from a repository we may have found from a simple search without first understanding what it is we are installing.

Thanks again dude.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Dallas TX
I tried the new update, everything worked fine, yes you need shortcutc/ctrl+backspace to get out of full screen but everything else runs fine

my only problem with this app is the lack of poi´s cant even find a starbucks, they should enable online search at least, ovi maps still finds way more places than sygic

lets hope sygic mobile maps 10 fixes this issue its a game breaker for me

A lot of the trouble with the repo could have been avoided if Sygic had simply mailed the details to us customers, instead of posting a confusing reference here to start with.

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn