Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
https://i.imgur.com/2H2Ie55.png

From the sailfishOS-Fanclub telegram-group (Both Andrew Branson and James Noori work for Jolla).

If I understand it correctly Jolla just isn't allowed to distribute the blobs but flashing will still be possible on linux/macOS, just not officially supported for weird legal reasons.
Thats not a good answer. Sony should support Linux or GTFO with their lies about open development!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I honestly don't understand this.

Did Jolla not talk with Sony at the beginning of the "cooperation" how to distribute the Image?
Usually you make a contract with the company and the conditions in that contract need to be fulfilled.
If Jolla did not do that they have to do some explaining or they deserve to be destroyed by the media.

If there is no contract at all then flashing the SailfishOS Image will invalid the warranty anyways so Jolla should just not care and release the the linux flash tool or tutorial on how to flash alongside the Windows flashing tool or way to flash.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Jolla should just not care and release the the linux flash tool or tutorial on how to flash alongside the Windows flashing tool or way to flash.
Then they can't expect any help at all from Sony in the future.

I agree that they should've made it very clear (and legally binding) what Jolla is allowed/not allowed to distribute but burning that bridge now won't help anyone and would make Sailfish X very unlikely for the next generation of Sony-devices and most the effort to make Sailfish OS compatible with sony-open-device-aosp useless.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I honestly don't understand this.

Did Jolla not talk with Sony at the beginning of the "cooperation" how to distribute the Image?
Usually you make a contract with the company and the conditions in that contract need to be fulfilled.
If Jolla did not do that they have to do some explaining or they deserve to be destroyed by the media.

If there is no contract at all then flashing the SailfishOS Image will invalid the warranty anyways so Jolla should just not care and release the the linux flash tool or tutorial on how to flash alongside the Windows flashing tool or way to flash.
From what I gather they got help from Swedish team

Sony Open Devices program has its focus on helping 3rd party developers especially on Xperia devices. It was previously known as FreeXperia project under Sony-Ericsson, currently this Sweden based team working as part of Sony Mobile.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Then they can't expect any help at all from Sony in the future.
Why?

If they have no contract signed that they are breaching with this. I don't see any problem.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following User Says Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Why?

If they have no contract signed that they are breaching with this. I don't see any problem.
Because Sony wouldn't want business with them anymore if they don't fulfill the requirements they gave to Jolla, legally binding or not.

Also there probably is something that prevents Jolla from legally distributing these blobs, Sony has nothing to gain by forcing people to use Emma (afaik they even added support for the Xperia X just to make this possible so it's even more work for them).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Because Sony wouldn't want business with them anymore if they don't fulfill the requirements they gave to Jolla, legally binding or not.
Then this is for the better. If Sony is a bitch don't work together with them.
With the first Image using AOSP as a base they don't need Sony cooperation anyways anymore for porting to other Sony Open Device Program devices.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following User Says Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
Then this is for the better. If Sony is a bitch don't work together with them.
With the first Image using AOSP as a base they don't need Sony cooperation anyways anymore for porting to other Sony Open Device Program devices.
The requirement of Emma didn't come for no reason.

Jolla isn't allowed to distribute the blobs so Sony is putting them on a special partition in the update that we're supposed to install with Emma.

This wouldn't be possible if Sony didn't support Jolla in this so loosing Sonys support would make selling a version for a different Xperia even in this generation impossible for Jolla.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Just to clarity does binary blobs refer to Sony DRM drivers or open device program drivers?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Just to clarity does binary blobs refer to Sony DRM drivers or open device program drivers?
The latter. The drm-stuff is gone once you unlock your bootloader and by restoring it (if you backed it up before unlocking) you re-lock the bootloader.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x