Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I keep a @live.com account - give it out to people I don't like.
same and I use it for web purchases, but really have had it for so long that I can't be bothered to sort out what I want to migrate from it and what is junk.

I'm pleased whenever we are reminded that the last several years of Nokia mismanagement have led to the current state of affairs, despite the damage I believe Elop has done. It seems people have short memories, but I haven't heard nearly as many as "Elopalypse"-equivalents for the previous CEO/management (or maybe I just missed that era since I only joined when N900 was released).

Maybe we could start a list of those too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
same and I use it for web purchases, but really have had it for so long that I can't be bothered to sort out what I want to migrate from it and what is junk.

I'm pleased whenever we are reminded that the last several years of Nokia mismanagement have led to the current state of affairs, despite the damage I believe Elop has done. It seems people have short memories, but I haven't heard nearly as many as "Elopalypse"-equivalents for the previous CEO/management (or maybe I just missed that era since I only joined when N900 was released).

Maybe we could start a list of those too.
I think that the impression we all had under OPK was that he was incompetent, but not that he seemed intentionally crippling the company.
Case in point, this thread at the time:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51507

It would appear to me that OPK made people worry, but Elop's decisions have elicited genuine dread.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
The paranoia of this thread is infectious. Elop is far from Trojan horse. He is in the business of making money and he will do it. I bought shares at 5.79, and they are over 6.4 now with my betting that after N9 and WP7 N9 like looking devices are released, the shares will hit 10 and more in subsequent years.

I have never seen such a pathetic group of depressed, negative and utterly paranoid individuals except for ericsson who seems to be the only one to comprehend what is going on. Lighten up guys, the good times for NOKIA are coming, and Elop is there to help. The Meego apologists need to understand that you got to win at the market and previous structure was not doing it, hence Elop and changes. You are behaving like a typical group of dead wood that needs to move on with the program or get fired for obstruction.

I have some freeby Prozac from drug companies, will be happy to email to whoever needs it here.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
The paranoia of this thread is infectious. Elop is far from Trojan horse. He is in the business of making money and he will do it. I bought shares at 5.79, and they are over 6.4 now with my betting that after N9 and WP7 N9 like looking devices are released, the shares will hit 10 and more in subsequent years.

I have never seen such a pathetic group of depressed, negative and utterly paranoid individuals except for ericsson who seems to be the only one to comprehend what is going on. Lighten up guys, the good times for NOKIA are coming, and Elop is there to help. The Meego apologists need to understand that you got to win at the market and previous structure was not doing it, hence Elop and changes. You are behaving like a typical group of dead wood that needs to move on with the program or get fired for obstruction.

I have some freeby Prozac from drug companies, will be happy to email to whoever needs it here.

I look forward to monitoring your other stock post for updates and equivalent zeal over time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:

Sounds to me like you have taken one to many of your prozac if you think the share price will hit 10 0n the back of a WP7 phone which smartphone users do not seem interested in purchasing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
his wife has norton antivirus installed in her to prevent intrusions.
no wonder why he seems so unhappy
*i have no idea what the link says but i still felt like sharing this*

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
There's more than one type of customer out there. People that love/bought the N900 were in a serious minority. Otherwise, things would not have been like they are presently.

No Elop at Nokia. No announcements from Samsung stating that they've sold 3 million Samsung Galaxy S II's in 55 (or less) days. No Microsoft deal with Nokia. Those are all connected... if the N900 or anything Maemo was remotely as popular as you lot think it was, then these discussions would not have happened.

So yeah... what danramos sees is what most other consumers that aren't blinded by fanaticism and/or ignorant to better options - the middle of this ignorant storm of consumerism is still enough room for people to know, have used, and can precisely critique Maemo for what it is, what it could have been, what it didn't accomplish.

I say that as a Maemo fan - still think Diablo was the first Maemo that made me a serious fan, although I had a 770 before it - and I can state easily that what you don't see... Maemo for all of its innovations was really a failure for Nokia.

Worse... it opened the door for yet another failure in the form of WP7 to waltz in and say "Well... we have a marketplace for music, videos, XBOX 360 and an official Twitter app and you do not..." and have that be a compelling argument against Maemo.

Maemo had years to establish itself as something prominent. Nokia floundered. Nokia faltered. Nokia restarted multiple times. And thusly, Nokia allowed the competition to redefine something they should have set the definition for.

If you cannot see that, then welcome to the part of the crowd where fanaticism disallows that.

It's been like that since 2005. Time for potential to be applied. Or replaced. Sadly, it's been replaced with a shittier version of "potential" (read: WP7). Blame OPK. Elop is just making it worse - the decline started in 2007.

That's part of the whole "potential" part. Have you seen Microsoft's stock value? They've also dropped to something less than their glory days 11 years ago. Blame Ballmer. Bill Gates had that company at record levels.

20k apps... ok. I have an HTC HD7S - and let me tell you. I don't have more than 20 apps on my phone. Not because I'm a lame user, I have 77 on my Android device(s). I have like 80 on my iOS device(s). And yet, I'm missing certain key apps on WP7 at the moment.

It's functional - so is Maemo. It's modern - so is Maemo. It has an ecosystem - ok, Maemo has sorta one... Ovi is half-baked for Maemo.

No arguments there. Yahoo is #2 - and Nokia had a contract with Yahoo for their mail.

Not knowing who Elop is doesn't excuse the fact that once you know who he is... you see the missteps by this current administration. But the problem is... most people are really unwilling to look back at OPK who let his campaigns - marketing, networking and device/ecosystem campaigns - go unsettled and largely unknown. Nobody knew what Nokia was doing. Still don't...

And to excuse it as "part of Nokia's culture" is straight dumb. Google has shown that if you engage your audiences, things like the Google IO conference can get people that don't know who you are, start to follow you, pay attention to what you say and be interested in what you do. Apple... Steve Jobs gets up there, sells the ever-living **** out of anything iOS. People eat it up... but guess what?

Nokia needs that too. Silence sells nothing. Wide open systems sell to people that think that it's important. I'm quite sure there's a percentage of the 1% of the desktop types care about that.

And it's famously less than the people that buy Android, Symbian, iOS and even WP7 - yep, it sold more than the last Maemo device. Sad, huh?

Regardless... being able to criticize yet can't take criticism for what you evangelize is unrealistic and incredibly biased.

Points at thread.
Usually you are quite reasonable, but this is all just a load of something smelly. OK, time for some facts:

* In general people don't care about OS
* International business != local business
* Every business is a roller coaster, it goes up and down
* Nokia is in it for the long run
* Nokia plays on lots of horses and it's the sum that counts
* Nokia did not loose several opportunities in the recent past, but in hindsight it looks like they did.
* Nokia is not alone in the mobile business and cannot win all battles, also they have no control over innovations and disruption done by others.
* No one can control a disruption and the results of it. It is a super high risk venture that no one does unless they have no other options available, or is completely new in the industry. It is certainly not something a market leader will enter into.
* And finally - MS-Nokia cooperation is about the ecosystem.

Apple had nothing to lose, but a whole world to win. Google had nothing to lose, but a whole world to win. Nokia had a whole world to loose and nothing to win. Add this to the fact that a disruption is a completely uncontrollable event once it starts rolling, only then can you start understanding what is going on and what Nokia is doing now.

Sometimes in business you have to start from point zero. To get there might kill you, but if you don't try you are facing certain death. In business this means tear everything down, get rid of all the parts that is not essential to stay alive, keep and strengthen the parts that can be used in the future, restructure and build new alliances and new teams. Only then are you in position to head into the new and disrupted reality.

By God, this is exactly what Elop is doing. One may even argue that he is not doing enough of it, but this is impossible to know unless we have all the fact that Elop has. But know this, Nokia has done this several times in the past. If anyone knows how to do this, it is Nokia. Elop is not alone in this, he is just one person in a large team. Still, they may fail, but that's business.

And you are talking about the size of the screen on HTC devices, evil Microsoft, no-good WP, stupid Elop, evil Elop, trojan horse Elop. Please.

Ahonen is cool because he is funny. But he is a clown, a stand up comedian in the mobile industry.

I bought shares at 5.79, and they are over 6.4 now with my betting that after N9 and WP7 N9 like looking devices are released, the shares will hit 10 and more in subsequent years.
I would suggest to wait for more than two weeks of market data before doing projections into next year.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to umo120 For This Useful Post:
Are you another pre-ELOP NOKIA apologist?

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Sounds to me like you have taken one to many of your prozac if you think the share price will hit 10 0n the back of a WP7 phone which smartphone users do not seem interested in purchasing.
its a combo that will win. clearly too advanced for you to comprehend

Tags
balmer was here, e6 rox, elop rox, elop snopp, elop's fool, the elop flop