hey mate its only reality. Anyone who disagrees with my "tone" is a naive fool - corporations ONLY respond to the bottom line. Thats how capitalism works. Nokia will NOT provide proper support as long as customers are willing to pay for vapor support. Those who "believe" that Nokia will do the "right thing" are destined to be the sheeple of this world.

So from now on, do not ever buy Nokia on promises EVER, only buy Nokia if you are satisfied with that device NOW. Tell your friends Nokia = 0 support, and that if they want proper customer service with their high end smart phone buy an Android or Apple.

On the other hand if they are after a low end commodity phone that needs no support, or if they are geeks who can DYI, then Nokia is definitely an option.

Thats they only way Nokia will ever learn, if they totally and utterly fail in the smart phone arena where support and the ecosystem is important.

Oh well, sometimes it sucks to be proven right.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
...there is really no excuse for abandoning the N900 this early in its life-cycle.
I'm just about to get a major OTA update and no doubt lotsa new apps will be available. I'm happy with the situation.

No, I don't feel 'abandoned' at all. And after all, what will MeeGo offer in the next couple of years I don't have with Maemo, especially after PR1.2?
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
hahaha - at least they gave a proper answer this time

so n900 officially a dead end device now, only get token support from now on. If you think otherwise I got a big bridge in Sydney I would like to sell you.

community port ? hah - 10 to 1 I bet you the paid app market will not work on the n900 Meego port. There will be theoretical "compatibility", but good luck getting it in practice.

why will ANYONE recommend the n900 to anyone but a hardcore linux geek ? hah

no wonder they didnt give a straight answer earlier, they wanted it released with PR1.2 to "soften" the blow.

what a joke. F you Nokia
They didn't say anything they haven't said before. The MeGoo will not be a OTA upgrade for n900. But it will still be possible to do it manually. Also.. i would recommend it as the n900 is the best device out there right now. And will probably be a great device in the future too. So stop the BS please.

hey mate its only reality. Anyone who disagrees with my "tone" is a naive fool - corporations ONLY respond to the bottom line. Thats how capitalism works. Nokia will NOT provide proper support as long as customers are willing to pay for vapor support. Those who "believe" that Nokia will do the "right thing" are destined to be the sheeple of this world.

So from now on, do not ever buy Nokia on promises EVER, only buy Nokia if you are satisfied with that device NOW. Tell your friends Nokia = 0 support, and that if they want proper customer service with their high end smart phone buy an Android or Apple.

On the other hand if they are after a low end commodity phone that needs no support, or if they are geeks who can DYI, then Nokia is definitely an option.

Thats they only way Nokia will ever learn, if they totally and utterly fail in the smart phone arena where support and the ecosystem is important.

Thought neither are the ones using Android phones getting the updates to the newest Android. Some do some don't. Apple is not updating the first iphone while Nokia still updated N95 3 months ago.

The thing is you will have all the same applications than MeeGo, plus the appliations that Maemo 5 got that MeeGo can't even run after PR1.2. PR1.2 is the most important support Nokia can give because it brings Qt4.6 and that's the whole Nokia smartphone future on Harmattan/MeeGo and on S^3, S^4.

Sometimes especially in the net people sink too much to the feelings rather than actually thinking what the names and stuff people throw actually mean.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-05-25 at 11:19.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
As long as Meego fully supports the n900 hardware and ideally the device drivers are open source then MeeGo and n900 have a long future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
The only thing you have been successful at is to have been proven wrong.. lol! So stop the trolling please.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
As long as Meego fully supports the n900 hardware and ideally the device drivers are open source then MeeGo and n900 have a long future.
As the n900 is the "test" device for MeeGo this has already been proven. Also Nokia got a squad working at it.

I've said on many occasions, i'm not overly worried about not having meego on my n900. i'm more than happy with this handset as it is (even more so now i've successfully received pr1.2!!). when my contract is due up for renewal, i will consider what device to get next, and no it's not the n8 which to me is a backward step from maemo. more than likely it will be the new meego device...i'm patient!

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
A new thread has been started:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...362#post675362

Unfortunately it seems the 2 stumbling blocks are the battery manage software and openGLES drives are closed source.

Without working implementations then MeeGo is a NoGo.

i shake my head at you guys. Do you actually work in a business where there is a bottom line ? It is clear the line of thought that went into these decisions.

do you really think the ecosystem they build for meego will work for the n900 ?

qt is not the most important support (nobody but a geek gives a toss about qt). Qt compatibility means nothing to a non-power user. It is access to apps in the official ecosystem that matters. Apple taught EVERYONE that. Goog is following them with android.

The most important support is an assurance that the n900 will be able to participate in the official ecosystem that they will build for Meego, PERIOD. Nothing else matters. And only an official release of Meego OR an explicit statement from Nokia (hah if you believe them) is any assurance of this.

What you will get is more unsupported apps through Qt compatibility if the vendors are kind enough. And some more apps from the community who are kind enough to port them, thats it.

But official support from the big vendors ? lolers. That is GONE with no Meego.

No new version of flash (watch as the n900 loses access to websites as they upgrade to v10), no google maps, no official games.

I will eat my words if Qt compatilibty causes the big vendors to release official versions of their apps for the n900.

Trolling ? BS ? Fear mongering ?

I shake my head at some of you. If you are a geek who wants to tinker then the n900 is the uberchoice. But you cross the line to fanboy if you think the n900 at this stage is good for anything else.

But those who believe Qt compatibility will make the n900 even a vague shadow of the other eco

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser