Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Installed libsqlite0 2.8.13-2 and maemo-mapper 1.3.3 on my N800.

Launching "Extras -> Maemo Mapper" gives an animated "Maemo Mapper - loading" popup which disappears after 20 seconds. Nothing else. Any suggestions?

I'm a Linux newbie, so please forgive me if I've missed something obvious. If mm is as good as it sounds, I'll grab an i-Blue module and go all the way.

Originally Posted by jpj View Post
Installed libsqlite0 2.8.13-2 and maemo-mapper 1.3.3 on my N800.

Launching "Extras -> Maemo Mapper" gives an animated "Maemo Mapper - loading" popup which disappears after 20 seconds. Nothing else. Any suggestions?
Sounds like it's crashing on startup, or perhaps it is missing a needed library. Try running it from the command line (xterm) and see if you get an error message.

Originally Posted by mzandrew View Post
wait, does that mean .debs compiled for the 770 + os 2006 *will* run on an n800 or am I missing something (like the implied step of compile it yourself in the new scratchbox)? I thought the new os & cpu broke binary compatibility.
The CPU architecture (arm) is the same between the two, but there are some upgraded libraries and API's in OS 2007 that can cause certain OS 2006 applications to not run on OS 2007. In those cases, re-coding and/or a recompile is needed to produce a new binary that is compatible (i.e. built against the new libraries/API's). This is actually a relatively common (and annoying) problem among linux distributions.

One solution is to never use shared libraries. Ha! Another solution is to build your application "statically" instead of using shared libraries. This causes the shared-library code to be built directly into the application (instead of being linked at run-time), which increases the size of the binary immensely, so that's a crappy solution.

The better solution is for libraries to just not break backward compatibility! But this is linux and "the cutting edge," so that's unlikely to happen.

Ooo, here's an idea... make the new and improved libraries available to both the 770 and the n800! Brilliant! (Hopefully, this is coming soon when "OS 2007" or some variant is released for the 770.)

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Sounds like it's crashing on startup, or perhaps it is missing a needed library. Try running it from the command line (xterm) and see if you get an error message.
That's what I was half expecting to hear. See, told ya I was a *nix newbie. Haven't dug far enough to enable a command prompt or other "real" tools. I'm not afraid of them, being an old MS-DOS hacker, but have zero experience in this environment. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Links to read would work ...

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Ooo, here's an idea... make the new and improved libraries available to both the 770 and the n800! Brilliant! (Hopefully, this is coming soon when "OS 2007" or some variant is released for the 770.)
Indeed. I am not sure how they possibly thought maintaining two sets of libraries (one for the n800 and one for the 770) would end up being less work and not annoy every single abandoned 770 owner. The latest comments from Nokia indicate they are moving in the direction that you indicate though. Hopefully they see the value in unifying and growing their developer community rather than splintering it.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by jpj View Post
That's what I was half expecting to hear. See, told ya I was a *nix newbie. Haven't dug far enough to enable a command prompt or other "real" tools. I'm not afraid of them, being an old MS-DOS hacker, but have zero experience in this environment. Anyone care to point me in the right direction? Links to read would work ...
I am not sure if the xterm package has been added to the bora maemo repository. Downloading and installing these three debs from the following URL should do the trick to get you an xterm command line though.

http://770.fs-security.com/xterm/files/test/

Then you would just type "maemo-mapper" at the command line and see what burps out.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
To install osso-xterm, make sure you have the following repository added:

Catalogue Name: Maemo Main
Web Address: http://repository.maemo.org
Distribution: bora
Components: free non-free

Update and you should see osso-xterm in the list. You don't need the non-free distribution but it does no harm to include it.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Seattleish, WA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
To install osso-xterm, make sure you have the following repository added:

Catalogue Name: Maemo Main
Web Address: http://repository.maemo.org
Distribution: bora
Components: free non-free

Update and you should see osso-xterm in the list. You don't need the non-free distribution but it does no harm to include it.
I'm very much a newbe with the N800, but I've found that th additional instructions from here are key. In specific:
There is another version of osso-xterm which is not compatible, if you are having difficulty installing osso-xterm:
  • Disable all other repositories except for repository.maemo.org
  • Refresh the package list
  • Look for osso-xterm without a stylized logo
The point being that from what I've seen, the xterm with the "stylized logo" will not run - it dies with an "Internal Error". Using the one without the "stylized logo" works fine.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
On a fresh N800 (I've just reflashed mine) if you add the above repository you only see one osso-xterm package available for installation, and it works fine (for a logo it has a $ superimposed on a black xterm window).

And I've no idea what a "stylized logo" looks like... that's a really unhelpful description from the maemo page - I mean, if you only get the one logo listed is it or is it not the stylized logo?!

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Seattleish, WA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
On a fresh N800 (I've just reflashed mine) if you add the above repository you only see one osso-xterm package available for installation, and it works fine (for a logo it has a $ superimposed on a black xterm window).

And I've no idea what a "stylized logo" looks like... that's a really unhelpful description from the maemo page - I mean, if you only get the one logo listed is it or is it not the stylized logo?!

From what I've seen - the stylized logo is the $ on a black window. The non-stylized is the default "four squares shadowed" image. You won't see the non-stylized unless you get rid of the stylized. Like I say, one worked for me straight up, the other one doesn't. ymmv of course.