Active Topics

Originally Posted by homelinux View Post
I will drop a few words in:
This post turned out longer than I expected, but after reading the 10 pages of comments I felt tempted to say something. I find the Canola team to be a good example of how to react to criticism (good or bad). No Canola for N900??????? Well, another reason not to buy it ... YET.
What are you wankers moaning about?

http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2009/09/canola-on-n900.html

Here we go some real life scrolling in the browser, flash off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8JeLKKfDDM

If you want a comparative iPhone vid I can do that too but I think it's pretty much self explanatory. I might cover the actual OS later.

As far as the unit being defective...come on...seriously.

Originally Posted by Holyshit View Post
Yh Android does and it did so long before the N900. The T-Mobile G1 (and e.g. HTC Hero) run FULL Debian. Yes, they also support native X11, so you can run KDE, LXDE, IceWM whatever you want. So what your point again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yBH...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNhG...layer_embedded

Even better: it's a 1-click install for G1 owners.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529233
http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...e=Debian_on_G1
http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/co...9&id=1620#1620

So yh u get the best of both worlds: Android and full Debian on 1 device. When u need it u got full Debian in the palm of ur hand, when when u're finished u just switch back to a very nice smartphone OS. There's no emulation whatsoever and u don't need to wipe Android.

Windows Mobile 6.5/7 basically have quite good Office support. And basically Open Office is kinda bloated (it uses more resources than Microsoft Office, look it up) and hasn't got any touchscreen support - and the N900 doesn't have a trackball or D-Pad. And it's just silly to run something bloated like Open Office on a portable device. A lot of companies are moving to smartclients and webservices, look at Intel Moblin OS, look at Google Chrome OS, look at Microsoft's WebOffice.

In a couple of years time, writing office documents will be like webmail. Most people don't use local email any longer, and office on the internet allows you to access and share your documents anywhere and anytime, and you always have the most current version of the document in reach.
Interesting, I may be considering Android sooner than I thought then. Though is this persistent? E.g. what happens if I upgrade the Android OS?

As for the future, I'm not buying a device in the future. I'm buying a device now for what it can do now (granted I keep it for at least 3 years). When the future comes then that's when I'll be evaluating again what can be done with what devices out there. I also tend to have a bias against online tools (I just use them for storage mostly) since you may not always have access to them [if the service ever goes down even for temporary reasons] and it's dependent on being connected (can be solved with better network access) . Though Google Gears was nice while it lasted since it allowed you to work offline and then sync the changes back online.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Um actually what they run is an image within a virtual machine.
It doesn't run in a virtual machine, it runs natively. Because Debian supports ARM. So basically Debian is able to run on any smartphone that has an ARM CPU.

The Following User Says Thank You to Holyshit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Who cares if it can run Open Office it can't scroll smoothly in the damn browser?
Mine is still scrolling smoothly.

Am I doing something wrong?

Originally Posted by franklinn View Post
so scrolling is not smooth in maemo 5?. Why oh why is Nokia struggling with a basic feature like Kinetic scrolling ?
They aren't. Scrolling is as smooth as teflon-coated silk. Take the hyperbolic comments with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-24 at 20:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Holyshit View Post
It doesn't run in a virtual machine, it runs natively. Because Debian supports ARM. So basically Debian is able to run on any smartphone that has an ARM CPU.
I stand corrected
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Mine is still scrolling smoothly.

Am I doing something wrong?
Ohh! Are you running Open Office too? Can we have a bear-of-very-little-brain walk-thru on how that's done? (I know it has been done). Prett please?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Interesting, I may be considering Android sooner than I thought then. Though is this persistent? E.g. what happens if I upgrade the Android OS?
It's not difficult to run Debian on ARM. The difficulty is getting access to your phone's hardware. HTC devices (like G1, HERO) are quite open to development, so it was a lot easier for the community to built boatloaders and gain access to other hardware in the phone. So, don't get your hopes up for the Droid yet. The Droid hasn't even been truely rooted yet. Fortunately HTC is upcoming with a Snapdragon Android device (and highres screen etc). Yes it is persistent because you run it from the SD card. And Android OS doesn't touch your SD card.

The Following User Says Thank You to Holyshit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by gjtorikian View Post
What are you wankers moaning about?

http://etrunko.blogspot.com/2009/09/canola-on-n900.html
Can't wait until an installable package is created!

Okay imo, I do not agree totally with the OP, but he/she does make some valid points (although in an obtrusive manner). I think we all have to be a little more realistic in what to expect from the device. Much of what the OP is complaining about is software related and could be fixed via firmware updates. However,this is a new iteration of the OS, and it appears Nokia was not expecting this type of response to the device, which has led to this device's mishandled launch. Therefore, I would expect a few things to be a little off. Most of what the OP listed may have to do with that particular device, as I have not seen many reports of these "bugs" from others of whom have received the device or have a pre-prod unit with final release firmware. I would say report these issues through the proper channels and as I have witnessed from the dedication of this community and commitment from Nokia, I am sure they will be addressed.

In regards to the Iphone & Android comparisons, they are going to happen. It is unfortunate, but they are going to happen. Are they directly comparable? Imo, No. Also, I think this is the first time Nokia is committing the same amount of resources Apple and Google put into the Iphone and Android respectively. I look at it like this: Nokia has a vast catalog of devices that it manages and builds up each year, with 3 OSes (S40, S60, Maemo) that it supports. Maemo to me is now beginning to be prepped for the "mainsteream", where as before it was limited to a "niche" product. This is in comparison to Apple who has one smartphone and one mobile OS (in terms of mobile devices), and Google has one mobile OS. All three platforms have things that they lack (none are perfect no matter how much we want them to be) and things that each does very well. Imo I think Maemo is catching up to be right where it should be as far as its capabilities are concerned, and will speed up once its fully released on the public.

Now as far as this goes:
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
...THIS PHONE IS GARBAGE. ...
HELL to the Naw, I can't get with that. My confidence still lies with this platform, this community, Nokia, and this device (whenever it gets here).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolinabluejay For This Useful Post:

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever