Notices

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Hi Ashley... I am *really* sorry the package I made broke your system like that. To change bash to sh in one line on the terminal, try this:
sudo gainroot
sed -i 's/bash/sh/' /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst

Also, is anyone using the version of freeciv currently in extras-devel? I have been using it and it seems stable enough to promote, but am not sure I should.

For possible future development, my thoughts were a "close" button in the top right, the task switch button on the title screen as well as during gameplay, and possibly a button to toggle "clicking" so you could get tooltip help for a button before triggering it... anyone have other ideas on this? It isn't a hildonized app since it's SDL, but it plays pretty well with the stylus.

Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Hi Ashley... I am *really* sorry the package I made broke your system like that. To change bash to sh in one line on the terminal, try this:

Also, is anyone using the version of freeciv currently in extras-devel? I have been using it and it seems stable enough to promote, but am not sure I should.

For possible future development, my thoughts were a "close" button in the top right, the task switch button on the title screen as well as during gameplay, and possibly a button to toggle "clicking" so you could get tooltip help for a button before triggering it... anyone have other ideas on this? It isn't a hildonized app since it's SDL, but it plays pretty well with the stylus.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I tried a few things:

lines entered:
~ s sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

/home/user # sed-i's/bash/sh'/var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst
[enter]
/bin/sh: sed-is/bash/sh/var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst: not found
/home/user #
(Also tried)
/home/user # apt-get install bash
[enter]
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package freeciv-client-sdl needs to be reinstalled, but i can't find an archive for it.

(ExtrasDev and ExtrasTesting both enabled and wifi connected)

Any suggestions? Thanks

Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
/home/user # sed-i's/bash/sh'/var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst
Thank you for the detailed information! This could be a mispaste, but do you have a space between "sed" and "-i" and "-i" and "s/bash/sh/" and "s/bash/sh/" and "/var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst"? It should be like...

Code:
 sed     -i      's/bash/sh/'      /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst
(well, I went overkill, but that should be fine, too.)

You could also try this:

Code:
 dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq freeciv-client-sdl

Last edited by ldrn; 2010-01-09 at 22:49. Reason: added code tags

Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Thank you for the detailed information! This could be a mispaste, but do you have a space between "sed" and "-i" and "-i" and "s/bash/sh/" and "s/bash/sh/" and "/var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst"? It should be like...

Code:
 sed     -i      's/bash/sh/'      /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv*inst
(well, I went overkill, but that should be fine, too.)

You could also try this:

Code:
 dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq freeciv-client-sdl

Hey, the first time i tried, i entered the command with the spaces and it executed without error, but then i tried to uninstall using the app manager and the uninstallation failed.

I just tried again, typed the command perfectly with spaces and now the responce is:
sed: unmatched '/'

I have tripple checked and there was no typos.

Cheers

Tried the forced removal:

(i'm not going to type it all, but here are the important bits)
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a removal.
Removing freeciv-client-sdl ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-removal script: No such file or directory

Hope this helps too

I am guessing that the game's files and folders have been removed? But the App Manager still thinks its installed. As in somewhere between the pre-removal scrips and the post removal scrips an error has occured? this all coming from a newby btw.

If that is the case, you *should* be able to remove things with...
Code:
sudo gainroot
mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv* /tmp/
dpkg --remove --force-depends --force-remove-reinstreq freeciv freeciv-client-sdl freeciv-server freeciv-data
... but if the files are still there, you'd need to manually delete the files after.

I got several serious warnings, I think most of the packages were missing. The good news is that freeciv has now gone from the list of installed apps in app manager. I feel fairly confident that the files are gone, but i shall have a look when i figure out how to view the root dir. There is an app in extras dev that will generate a list of all installed packages and their file sizes etc, when this gets promoted to extras testing, i can check to see if any freeciv packages remain, which i doubt they will. Thanks...

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Robot101 View Post
The fix to allow uninstalling it with apt-get would be to 'sudo gainroot' then edit (I used vi, but I don't know what other editors there are) /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv-*.p* and change each #!/bin/bash to #!/bin/sh - then the pre/postrm scripts can run properly.
hey
still have the problem, that i can not uninstall freeciv

can someone just write a step by step guide how to do the quoted, which commands exactly and so on...i am really not familiar with console based text editors

thx!

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
ok, some q's about freeciv, how do i access the function buttons?

and is sound on the cards?

otherwise going great!

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port