Active Topics

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
If you ever experience firmware delays for Nokia n95, e71 .. you'd know exactly what he is talking about. The delays and non-communication is just a joke...

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If you ever experience firmware delays for Nokia n95, e71 .. you'd know exactly what he is talking about. The delays and non-communication is just a joke...
i agree here, i hated waiting for the new firmware just so my new device would work how it was supposed to work, and yes firmware was always late.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
I agree with you on this one. It would have been much better releasing the firmware to the general public rather than some selected bourgeoisies. Look at what happened when the N900 was given to some "selected 300" people for testing. Most of them did not report any problem with the device until it was time for them to return it then they start complaining which as a result was the cause of delay in the release of the N900. Personally, I have lost trust in Nokia development and marketing team Long Time Ago.
Talk about irrational revisionist history at its worst.

The early testers filed nearly 300 bugs during the pre-release period, worked on dozens of applications and put a ton of effort into documentation. You do also realize that the loan period is for 6 months, right?

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2010-01-08 at 20:47.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Talk about irrational revisionist history at its worst.

The early testers filed nearly 300 bugs during the pre-release period, worked on dozens of applications and put a ton of effort into documentation. You do also realize that the loan period s for 6 months, right?
Do not use logic and facts in this place.

You know better!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Im reasonably happy with my N900, however it cant be denied that Nokia repeatedly mentioned that a firmware update would come in December/at the end of the year. It was pretty much promised. I can appreciate a delay can happen, as is the way of the world - however Im not sure why people seem to deny it was repeatedly mentioned MMS would come with the next firmware update.

example 1 (translated from the Swedish Nokia site)
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...SmzoMyvONc0Dmw

"Initially limited compatibility with the SIM:
Nokia N900 comes with software to version 1.0, which may affect compatibility with some Hutchinson 3G SIM (mobile operator 3). For full compatibility with all Swedish operators' SIM cards we recommend updating to version 1.1, which is expected to be available for download at the end of December 09th"
And where do you find a reference to MMS there?

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by micm View Post
I mean they gave out this firmware to some people for testing and filing bug-reports, but why not use the vast interested community for that. Would probably a win-win-situation.
Care to source that? The reality is that the vast majority of people wont even consider filing a bug report and the ammount of effort that needs to go into providing a public beta test versus a private one is orders of magnitude higher. There are 3rd party vendors involved (Adobe, etc.) whose licensing agreements make it more complicated, too.

So, while I agree with you that incremental package-level unstable releases would be good for Maemo, let's not pretend that it's a simple process with an easy immediate answer. Although you may not feel like it, this is a big step forward for Nokia. Baby steps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jaysire View Post
whether Nokia is at fault or not, customers are now disappointed because of this unfulfilled promise.
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
We are still "towards" the end of December '09 not the "end". Until Dec 31st past, they are still keeping their promise in my book.
What promise?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Bug fixing cannot be done on schedule. Bugs are hiding in the deepest layers of OS and even hardware. It takes a good time to hunt them down.
If the firmware release takes some more time then it means that Nokia is seriously trying to fix some annoying bugs instead of just slapping portrait mode onto the webbrowser and making USIM cards usable.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
I remember when the n900 was first released in the us, an update 'will be made available by the end of the year' ... to sort out the problems with 3 sims not working!

this delay isn't a suprise. Simple project management would enable a plan to be achieved - something Nokia isn't very good at lol. Look at the delays to the products release, and similar delays to fw fixes for the N96 and N97!

I really believe Nokia needs to start to impress its customers rather than disappoint us. Its unacceptable.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Well, that's not fair then. Nokia have lied to us, again!
First the release of the N900, now new firmware!
They promised new firmware before the end of the year, it's their fault they are unable to do so!
It's the principle of the whole thing that pisses me off, not that i have to wait.
Nokia still hasn't learned from Apple that perception is everything. A simple press release with respect to this matter would've gone a long way with the N900 users.

Secrecy, lies, deception should be a practice of the past. Now that the technological pace has increased dramatically, I want to know the exact day of the updates an hour after a decision is made to offer one. Things can happen, deadlines can be missed, but I want that be communicated to me.

Tags
fictional update, limpware