Active Topics

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Need dual coar! Massiv multitasking FTW! Heavy distros, emulation, responsiveness under higher load etc! What fun is OC'ing a single 1GHz core? Titan knows what I'm saying.. Oh and more RAM in the van for this man.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Dual core is beneficial not just for multi-core optimized apps. How many people have / had the problem when the phone won't answer there are too many apps open and the phone rings but the interface doesn't respond.
We have had devices for ages that handle this kind of situations much better. It's more of optimized code issue than just "lets use bigger engine for that" issue.

When I am driving, I use OVI maps (w/ GPS ), have Google Maps in the background because OVI Maps isn't always right, and am also streaming music in the background. In that state, any input is incredibly slow and difficult. Would dual core help? hope so. Dual-core is helpful for power users, which I thought was this group. I could be wrong.
You belong to minority. Without doubt dual-core would benefit _you_ and also _me_. Stuff what you are doing is just way off "regular" usage.

Using bigger engine is just one part solution. I would put much much more emphasis on code optimization rather than "braindead" way of gazing just specs.

Sure, but how long did it take for the community to do that? As far as I know OVI maps is still a resource hog.
If you think that any of default apps on n900 are optimized to top then you should use other devices. For example composition is disabled. Test nitdroid and see that this device is able to deliver smooth experience. Try cloud gps and see how mapping sofware should behave on this device.

By your last statement you've probably given the greatest argument for dual-core. The fact of the matter is that Nokia does not plan on spending tons of resources on MeeGo. Right? Having said that Nokia once they get the checkmark (OVI Maps, web browser, and etc.) isn't going to spend a ton of time writing and re-writing code to make it super efficient. For what, 90k+ users? Give me a break. Until things get worked out, the software will likely be buggy and not optimized. You'll be glad for ever extra Megahertz you can get your hands on.

hmmm looks like we are talking about different pictures. I'm speaking in generally.

They will ship harmattan that should be Meego API compatible. Do you understand what meego stands for.

What I would emphasis is amount of memory and code quality over cpu speed which is of course also important. Actually I would gladly buy cheap medicore HW and pay monthly for support after some period of time. Bit like virus/gps software houses and more importantly I want to be able to choose software company that provides support.

Last edited by slender; 2011-05-12 at 20:20.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
if it is as open as Maemo and contains features that Nokia omitted out of Maemo are included I would buy it else there is no point spending $$$ I would imagine it will upwards of $500 if at all released.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
We have had devices for ages that handle this kind of sitsuations much
better. It's more of optimized code issue than just "lets use bigger
engine for that" issue.
I don't disagree that we need optimization. Since that has not yet happened for the N900 why do we think it will happen for the N950?

For heavy users, how many are using Titan? Just so I can get smooth scrolling? Not to mention all of the other slowness issues.

You belong in minority. Without doubt dual-core would benefit _you_ and
also _me_. Stuff what you are doing is just way off "regular" usage.
This is the difference between Linux based multi-tasking vs iPhone multi-tasking. In OVI Maps if I want to surf the web, listen to music while tracking my location I just keep OVI Maps running. In the iPhone, Maps, closes but because it is context / state aware, when I switch back to it it returns back to my previous state. If I closed OVI Maps, I have to re-enter all of the addresses again and start from step 1 wheras the iPhone jumps back to where I was. I was on a roadtrip and frustrated as heck trying to get OVI back to the same spot whereas my iPhone friends could track location in seconds. I would then have to keep OVI maps on at all times thus my battery disappears in less than 2 hrs. Where as iPhone friends had not a care in the world. So because of Maemo / MeeGo's lack of state awareness (continuation) it is not unreasonable to expect to keep apps open a long time especially when you have a device that is specifically for that.

Using bigger engine is just one part solution. I would put much much
more emphasis on code optimization rather than "braindead" way of gazing just specs.
I would agree with you but facts are facts. Nokia is not investing so do you think they're going to optimize? I don't work for Nokia but I know the answer will be "NO." Haven't done it for the N900 and don't see them changing that tune.

If you think that any of default apps on n900 are optimized to top then
you should use other devices. For example composition is disabled. Test
nitdroid and see that this device is able to deliver smooth experience.
Try geeps and see how mapping sofware should behave on this device.
Read again what I"m saying I don't think the N900 apps are optimized at all which is why the N950 won't be either.

=hmmm looks like we are talking about different pictures. I'm speaking
in generally.

They will ship harmattan that should be Meego API compatible. Do you
understand what meego stands for.
I do and MeeGo has even less life than Maemo. At least when the N900 released they thought Maemo was the future, we know from Nokia's public statements that they're not investing much in MeeGo. What is it you don't understand about their statements toward their intentions?

What I would emphasise is amount of memory and ocde quality over cpu
speed which is of course also important. Actually I would gladly buy cheap medicore HW and pay monthly for support after some period of
time. Bit like virus/gps software houses and more importantly I want to
be able to choose software company that provides support.
I agree with you and would love to see that for MeeGo. If that's your deciding factor WP7 is for you. I don't want WP 7 and since there won't be any support for MeeGo like they WILL have for WP7, we need to gear up and load up on the cores. As many as will fit that's what I say.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@geoshia
WTF. WP7 for me? Are you kidding me or did you not understand my last paragraph. Only way to get support from where ever you want is to use Open Source. Also I do not want Phone OS.

Last edited by slender; 2011-05-12 at 12:41.

Even though these guys can't seem to get their packaging right, if you want to see a good example of developers that know how to program for devices like the n900, install mbarcode-core.

Bad code is bad code, but even great code can't always make up for lackluster hardware. The n900 is excellent, but it's time for the next step: More cores, more RAM. Oh yeah, and a compass.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I don't disagree that we need optimization. Since that has not yet happened for the N900 why do we think it will happen for the N950?

For heavy users, how many are using Titan? Just so I can get smooth scrolling? Not to mention all of the other slowness issues.

This is the difference between Linux based multi-tasking vs iPhone multi-tasking. In OVI Maps if I want to surf the web, listen to music while tracking my location I just keep OVI Maps running. In the iPhone, Maps, closes but because it is context / state aware, when I switch back to it it returns back to my previous state. If I closed OVI Maps, I have to re-enter all of the addresses again and start from step 1 wheras the iPhone jumps back to where I was. I was on a roadtrip and frustrated as heck trying to get OVI back to the same spot whereas my iPhone friends could track location in seconds. I would then have to keep OVI maps on at all times thus my battery disappears in less than 2 hrs. Where as iPhone friends had not a care in the world. So because of Maemo / MeeGo's lack of state awareness (continuation) it is not unreasonable to expect to keep apps open a long time especially when you have a device that is specifically for that.

I would agree with you but facts are facts. Nokia is not investing so do you think they're going to optimize? I don't work for Nokia but I know the answer will be "NO." Haven't done it for the N900 and don't see them changing that tune.

Read again what I"m saying I don't think the N900 apps are optimized at all which is why the N950 won't be either.

I do and MeeGo has even less life than Maemo. At least when the N900 released they thought Maemo was the future, we know from Nokia's public statements that they're not investing much in MeeGo. What is it you don't understand about their statements toward their intentions?

I agree with you and would love to see that for MeeGo. If that's your deciding factor WP7 is for you. I don't want WP 7 and since there won't be any support for MeeGo like they WILL have for WP7, we need to gear up and load up on the cores. As many as will fit that's what I say.
I WANTZ TETRATION P4 PREZCOTT CORZ AND 8 SNAPDRAGOONZ GPUz. SO ICAN MICRO TWEET ON MI FACEBLOG IN FLASH11 TO FASTER. ALSO GALLIUM NITRIDE PLATED QWERTIZ AN A PONI.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
1 GHz A8 core + PowerVR SGX540 is not a bad SoC at the moment, but the raw cpu power is just too close to OMAP3430 - even though stock N900 runs @600MHz. A smartphone is a long term investiment for me, and if I pay more than 500 euros for N9, a dual core SoC means it's proabably still usable in 2013 as dual core cpus have become mainstream.

I'm not going to buy an Android device because of Tegra 2 or OMAP4 chipsets; if N9 is single core, I'll stick with N900 - which is still a great device.

It's this simple for me: If you're gonna ask me to give up my built-in stylus, you better be bringing me an extra core, extra RAM, and of course, a compass in a pear tree. I would even let you forego the FM and IR transmitters, but that's it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
N9 prototype got fully developed and released as the E7. Nokia just changed the name.

It is no coincidence they looked very similar in the early N9 videos and they look exactly the same in the more recent 'N9' videos (before E7 release) where an unbranded 'N9' was actually running symbian as well, advertising everything the E7 could do, but because it had no name, the testing guy assumed it was the N9, which is true, Nokia just released it as an E7.

So whatever the 'N9' looks like in those videos, is actually the E7. If Nokia chooses to release an official N9, it wont look like the above image or videos because those videos of the 'N9' prototype are actually of the E7.

I'm surprised most people didn't work this out already.
completely bull$hit.

the leaked photos of the "N9" on engadget were photos from a hardware mockup. you know, a device to let the management decide about materials and size and so on.
management decided it looks too much as an E7 and shouldn't be released in the same timeframe as the E7. (at least this is what I was told by Nokia)
the leaked video of techbuffalo was, well, a leaked E7.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
Care to clarify this?
Does it mean:
a) it doesn't have fmtx, and there is a different developer device that has fmtx
b) it doesn't have fmtx, but it (being the device you have seen and/or used) is a developer device so we don't know if the final product has fmtx
c) it doesn't have an fmtx, nor will it or any special version of it, ever have one?
As far as I know (and we haven't talked a lot about fmtx) the dev-device won't have fmtx but the consumer device will have it. But I'm not sure regarding this point. maybe I'll know more about this later today -> Nokia meeting

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-05-12 at 14:12.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland