Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Good luck to you, it's your money. I will personally tell Nokia that, but what I won't do is to vote with my wallet knowing the money is actually invested in Microsoft.
wrong, wrong, wrong. unless you buy a windows phone, nokia sure as hell isn't forking over any profits to M$. i am sick of these trojan horse and takeover theories. M$ needs nokia just as much as nokia needs M$ (in the mobile space anyways).

i understand if people here have been jaded with their experience with nokia, but the best way forward is to continue supporting meego and OSS, whether the device is from nokia or another partner.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
I like the looks. I also like the specifications so far. I even like the software. Still, I wont buy it, as it is clear it will have little to no support at all from Nokia. I might like the idea of open software on my mobile, but I want support. I am waiting for the rumored Intel MeeGo handsets. Also is MeeGo as easily rootable as maemo?

The Following User Says Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Also is MeeGo as easily rootable as maemo?
Depends on what the handset vendor does. Maemo was a unique case as it didn't need to be rooted, it just needed added repositories and a package install.

Hopefully other vendors will be as accommodating as Nokia was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
I'm not a it nerd, just an avergae consumer, but I really love my N900 and it's the best phone I've ever had....I haven't really had any problems at all with it (and yes I've installed many apps/programs)...I really hope the Meego phone will be an "upgrade" of the N900 and if it is, I'll buy it right away!

The Following User Says Thank You to fingirl For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by fingirl View Post
I'm not a it nerd, just an avergae consumer, but I really love my N900 and it's the best phone I've ever had....I haven't really had any problems at all with it (and yes I've installed many apps/programs)...I really hope the Meego phone will be an "upgrade" of the N900 and if it is, I'll buy it right away!
It will not run MeeGo, it will run Maemo6 with Nokias "MeeGo" UI. There will never be a MeeGo phone from Nokia, ever.

^ im not so sure about that, but we will see.

rich green made mention that nokia is unsure what it will do with their source once the final device has been released. if that means meego or harm is yet to be seen.

I buy phones so many times a year and as it wont be the only phone for me so support for it wont be huge deal.
I mean i got more fun out of my N900 than GS... now i got iphone 4 and N900.

I would actually prefer if it was harmattan, that's afterall the actual OS why i joined this forum and at this point MeeGo brand doesn't anymore mean anything for the updates so i just rather take the Maemo core. Though not to say that i will buy any sh1te with harmattan attached to it. Hoping for 4" screen and HDMI out, qwerty isn't a must.

Whether it's total crap or not i'm sure most of us are dying to see the looks of the "harmattan UI", i know i'am.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
wrong, wrong, wrong. unless you buy a windows phone, nokia sure as hell isn't forking over any profits to M$. i am sick of these trojan horse and takeover theories. M$ needs nokia just as much as nokia needs M$ (in the mobile space anyways).

i understand if people here have been jaded with their experience with nokia, but the best way forward is to continue supporting meego and OSS, whether the device is from nokia or another partner.
Right! I think you're both possibly saying the same thing. "Vote with your wallet" to buy something NOT made by Nokia doesn't mean not supporting MeeGo. I, for one, would purchase a MeeGo device from pretty much ANYBODY else except Nokia given the horrible treatment I've had from them over the years. I'll support MeeGo and OSS, clearly, I just won't support Nokia (since they didn't bother to support me).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Right! I think you're both possibly saying the same thing. "Vote with your wallet" to buy something NOT made by Nokia doesn't mean not supporting MeeGo. I, for one, would purchase a MeeGo device from pretty much ANYBODY else except Nokia given the horrible treatment I've had from them over the years. I'll support MeeGo and OSS, clearly, I just won't support Nokia (since they didn't bother to support me).
Right, that was part of my point. But my main point was that Nokia != Meego and Nokia != M$. They are all separate entities, even if they do make questionable choices and end up in bed together.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Right, that was part of my point. But my main point was that Nokia != Meego and Nokia != M$. They are all separate entities, even if they do make questionable choices and end up in bed together.
...for now. On the other hand, it could be argued that they're, operationally, as good as merged.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
bada bing, bada rox, bada rulez, bada suckss, bada sux, lam bada, lol @ bada, nokia defiled, science fiction