Active Topics

Bigger display

A 5.6 inch display on N900 is a must.

Nokia can use N810 design and N800 size to fit in a 5.6 screen on it. It would be wonderful and would give 1024x480 resolution which is a must for a true internet device.

Last edited by kooda; 2007-11-03 at 23:30.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by kooda View Post
Bigger display

A 5.6 inch display on N900 is a must.
Indeed. This would be great. In fact, it would still basically fit (albeit tightly) the size of the current N810 at this size; a 5.6" screen would measure 4.8"x2.88" at the current aspect ratio. The increased size, as you mentioned, would increase the amount of visible pixels, and further improve the usefulness of the device.

Of course, this would be possible if there were *minimal* buttons on the face, a feature I strongly advocate. Since the entire screen is a giant programmable button, the interface should compensate for casual use.

Does anyone know who manufactures the Tablet's current screen? If we found a model number and make, perhaps we might find clues regarding the upcoming model and get some insight into what's planned for the N900. Certainly, transreflectivity is an upgrade from previous versions. Perhaps resolution is next......

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

On WiMAX..... Sorry for the late reply.....

I think WiMAX (or mobile WiMAX) is one of those things that is hard to imagine, until you have it. Of course, I *don't* have it, but I'm expecting that being ALWAYS connected at speeds high enough to download large files quickly or stream video is a MAJOR feature, without the hassle of having to find and connect to a wifi spot. Imagine having the same freedom as a cellular phone, but with internet access, moving or static, home or in the part. Wow.

I'm surprised that users aren't breaking down Nokia's doors for WiMAX. I can understand why some people that already have extended access via cellular data plans, or those that frequent metropolitan areas that are blanketed with WiFi may not be that dazzled by the prospect of anywhere-internet; you already have it. For the rest of us, however, it would be convenient, and is likely to have the reach of cellular in the very near future.

Here in Ontario, Bell (one of the major phone suppliers) already offers WiMAX (I'm assuming 802.16d -- no handoff to moving connections), to rural households that request broadband access. In addition Primus (another local provider) is testing WiMAX (for free, hardware included) in Hamilton (south of Toronto, west end of lake Ontario). Because of the WiMAX tower's reach, it's quick to cover a large area with internet access and it seems that providers are rushing to deliver this new service. I just hope that, like GSM, WiMAX allows you to roam to other providers.

If prices are reasonable and hardware available, VoIP services like skype, gizmo, vonage, etc, will flood the market with low cost (or free sans data) voice/video/text that are as comprehensive as cellular plans. Smaller providers will do the same (link2voip, call centric, didww, etc). Right now, I pay around 1 cent per minute outgoing SIP (to anywhere in Canada) and $5/mnth unlimited incoming for a phone number (or free if I'm calling another SIP phone). I've seen companies offering $20/mnth unlimited out for calling phones anywhere in North America. This means, at highest, I'll pay $25/mnth to talk as much as I want to *any* phone in North America. What's better is that it's pre-paid, so I *never* get billed. International rates are even more ridiculous: calling London costs only 2cents/min. Current cellular prices simply cannot compete with those rates.

I'm not saying that the N900 should be a phone, it wasn't meant to be, but having mobile WiMAX will keep us connected to the internet regardless of where we go. This includes all of the internet's functionality including the *option* of getting rid of our phones should we choose.

Surfing on the bus, on a train, outside of the theater, on a road trip, when lost, in the park, on the beach, etc, sounds like a killer feature to me.

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2007-11-04 at 00:32.

I think it should come in 2 versions 1 as a phone and one that is not. Also it should be able to use jvm and flash with the ability to play all formats including windows media.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
PLEASE don't take away my face buttons. If you want one of those, please step in line at the Apple Store.

As per WIMAX: I have a 3g phone that's 'always on' with a cheap data plan. I don't need another one, thanks.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As per WIMAX: I have a 3g phone that's 'always on' with a cheap data plan. I don't need another one, thanks.
I'm in agreement here. I hope the phone will remain the primary bridge, and its bandwidth will simply continue to increase. Leave such mechanisms outside of the Nseries. That's how it was intended. There's a bigger plan here. Oh sure, I'm not saying they'll never be integrated, but we're just not ready for it.

Originally Posted by prosthetic View Post
I hope the phone will remain the primary bridge, and its bandwidth will simply continue to increase. Leave such mechanisms outside of the Nseries. There's a bigger plan here.
Leave it out? Not when the primary purpose of the device is internet connectivity and the mechanism that you're referring to extends the reach of internet connectivity, thus enhancing it. In this case, the 'bigger plan' would be less convenient, requiring a phone for the devices primary function in many places; a plan, but not a very good one.

I agree, though, that it's a little *too* early for WiMAX support. It's quickly approaching, though, and I hope it's in the N900 when the service is widespread.

YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I agree, though, that it's a little *too* early for WiMAX support. It's quickly approaching, though, and I hope it's in the N900 when the service is widespread.
To decrease battery life, increase costs, and possibly reduce other features for the "benefit" of WIMAX . . . no thanks, I have perfectly good, ubiquitous, fast, cheap internet available right now, I don't need it duplicated in the N900.

Now, if you want to have a version without and a version with, I'm ok with that.

To expand on the full-face screen: we don't have multitouch, and we're not likely to have it any time soon. I'd like to be able to play Quake on my IT without having to carry a bluetooth keyboard everywhere, as such, the full-faced screen is both a bad idea and a good way to reduce overall usability.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Leave it out? Not when the primary purpose of the device is internet connectivity and the mechanism that you're referring to extends the reach of internet connectivity, thus enhancing it. In this case, the 'bigger plan' would be less convenient, requiring a phone for the devices primary function in many places; a plan, but not a very good one.
And hence the reason for the short-range high-speed connectivity that exists now. For most, that's the "current" solution. For remote access, we have 1Mbps bluetooth to another device that potentially has "high-speed" internet connectivity. Sounds reasonable to me. Sure, everyone wants it all in one device. I guess that means every device should have such redundant capabilities. Hmm...

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by prosthetic View Post
And hence the reason for the short-range high-speed connectivity that exists now. For most, that's the "current" solution. For remote access, we have 1Mbps bluetooth to another device that potentially has "high-speed" internet connectivity. Sounds reasonable to me. Sure, everyone wants it all in one device. I guess that means every device should have such redundant capabilities. Hmm...
~3Mbps for EDR isn't it? And I agree completely, mobile data technology is moving in leaps and bounds, and the networks themselves are moving in seemingly random directions sometimes. Do you want the N900 to support EDGE? UMTS? HSPDA? WiMAX? or to support BT and linking to a cheap(er) device that supports the data technology most appropriate to the part of the world you live in, and the network you connect via.

Now, if WiMAX ever makes it to where I live (without being superseded) then I'm sure I'll want it, but until then I'm more than happy with BT and a phone

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist