Active Topics

they could work on standardizing icons all over the OS. agree on confusing UI...its more on show-off rather than real world usage

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Senior designer is complete loser
Elop is complete loser! And it is a fact!

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Even with those techies they had few decent presenters. They could have gone with those geeks that had decent communication skills, instead of throwing everyone on stage. That way they would still get the geek-streetcred and had decent presentations.

Not that I mind too much. Important thing is that they showed quite a bit stuff in todays two presentations. Lets see what we get tomorrow.

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Good point; also dual core === more battery drainage.
"...why go with a multi-core system? The answer is simple and not necessarily obvious: energy efficiency. You see, a processor running at a faster speed needs a higher voltage than one running at a lower speed, and the relationship between voltage and actual power used is not linear, but rather squared. For example, if a theoretical CPU requires 2 volts to run at 500MHz, but 4 volts to run at 1GHz (1000MHz), then the CPU requires 4 times as much power to run at 1GHz than it does 500MHz - not twice as much. As a result, two processors running at 500MHz and 2 volts might use up 4 units of power per hour for 1GHz of effective processing power, but a single processor running at 1GHz and 4 volts would require 8 such power units to do the same thing. These numbers were chosen to make the match more obvious, but the end result is that 1 processor at a given speed will use more power than two processors running at half that speed."

Read more at: http://www.mobileburn.com/editorial.jsp?Id=8841

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I think that the basic UI concept is strong.

However, I am wondering how open the UI will be? Is it possible for community to tinker with things in there? Like make the homescreen rotate (if it does not by default) or add own UI elements (like make a status bar if somebody wants to have clock and battery status always visible)?

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
"...why go with a multi-core system? The answer is simple and not necessarily obvious: energy efficiency. You see, a processor running at a faster speed needs a higher voltage than one running at a lower speed, and the relationship between voltage and actual power used is not linear, but rather squared. For example, if a theoretical CPU requires 2 volts to run at 500MHz, but 4 volts to run at 1GHz (1000MHz), then the CPU requires 4 times as much power to run at 1GHz than it does 500MHz - not twice as much. As a result, two processors running at 500MHz and 2 volts might use up 4 units of power per hour for 1GHz of effective processing power, but a single processor running at 1GHz and 4 volts would require 8 such power units to do the same thing. These numbers were chosen to make the match more obvious, but the end result is that 1 processor at a given speed will use more power than two processors running at half that speed."

Read more at: http://www.mobileburn.com/editorial.jsp?Id=8841

D'OH! There goes my EE exam :P

EDIT : actually, this applies *only* if the two CPUs do not run full speed all the time.
If you have them running 100% all the time, the battery drenage will be the same as the single CPU (obviously). But splitting the workload allows you to balance power significantly. Genius!

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2012-11-21 at 15:54.

The vertical nagivation however (from the lock screen to the application grid) is in my opinion the wrong choice as it makes the path longer, at least for mobiles (because the height is usually much larger than the width...).
I guess you only need a little swipe to make the screens switch.

The fading effect of Jolla UI is mostly confusing.
Maybe it looks better in real. It certainly makes it easier to take a peek at whats happening on the homescreen though.

Another problem is to mix the home screen and the application grid in one layer. It is neither obvious nor convenient to use.
yeah of you have lots of apps thats probably not optimal.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
For a startup, they are doing phenomenal for a first product. Give them a few years and they will dominate if they keep going. That is my humble 2 cents

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
if more than 4 backgroud app, it will go mini-window, like n9.
But can you actually scroll through the list? Or will the rectangles just become smaller and smaller until they're 1 pixel in size?

I mean... They want me to actually perform operations within those multitasking-views, they can't simply shrink them forever.

(Or is there a hard coded limit to multitasking...?)

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
I think that the basic UI concept is strong.

However, I am wondering how open the UI will be? Is it possible for community to tinker with things in there? Like make the homescreen rotate (if it does not by default) or add own UI elements (like make a status bar if somebody wants to have clock and battery status always visible)?
Now even they can make it to rotate . For the N9... There were too many corners ahead.. if i can say it like that

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?