Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Random:

How about putting a nice karma bounty for someone who takes up one of the brainstorm's suggestion and implements it to fulfill the brainstorm's query...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Another random thought: there are ceops procedures and protocols for sites that allow input from minors.
This violates years old forum rule: no age discrimination. It should not matter how old you are. Only how you behave matters.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by fms View Post
This violates years old forum rule: no age discrimination. It should not matter how old you are. Only how you behave matters.
I think you're missing my point. There are certain basic principles which websites sign up to and incorporate in their treatment of all members which are required under the voluntary code for sites which welcome minors. It doesn't discriminate at all: merely ensures that if there are young people here (which there are) we are in line with the standards for a place they're considered 'safe'. Not to do so would be discriminatory should there come a point where ceops blocked non-compliant sites through children's safety systems and some members are then excluded.

My point is tht this place is perfectly fine for people of al ages, we lose nothing by complying with standards set down to ensure it.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
There is a scheduled IRC meeting on Wednesday (or maybe Tuesday) to discuss the services needed on the meego.com website. One of the topics will be the forums.
This is now scheduled for 20:00 UTC:

http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ry/000408.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As someone who has yet to see anything useful come out of Brainstorm. I'm going to say, "No".
Nothing useful? While some of the ideas take a long time to implement, at least a couple of things have come out of it already... And even better, most of these have been implemented by the community, not by Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
In my paranoid moments, I think that Brainstorm represents a conspiracy of slowness, because of some secret reason I haven't been told. It's like, when there is a run on banks, clerks start counting money really, really slowly to give the system time to recover.

So I'd like to strongly endorse the opinion of GA, someone I have long admired and agreed with on almost every issue...

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
While some of the ideas take a long time to implement, at least a couple of things have come out of it already... And even better, most of these have been implemented by the community, not by Nokia.
Well.... Out of the 12 "implemented" ones:
  • 3 are meta-ideas about brainstorm itself.
  • 4 point to already existing official functionality (PIM, SMS, Send email keyboard shortcut, kernel address space randomisation), ie would be WORKSFORME in bugzilla.
  • 2 point to community projects (Mauku, Hermes) developed independently of brainstorm.

That leaves:

Call recording
Support subtitles in Media Player
Make it easier to switch to the Desktop/App Menu

for which I have no info (it would be nice to have a pointer to the implementation)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Apologies for going OT, but when filtering Brainstorm by Status = "In Development", why are brainstorms with status "Implemented" and "Under Consideration" being listed?

I tend to agree Brainstorm hasn't turned out to be as useful as we might have hoped - many good ideas will probably never be implemented (by Nokia/Maemo) due to the shifting sands that Maemo has become. Hopefully if/when MeeGo becomes a stable and long-term platform it will make more sense to invest time implementing good ideas raised through Brainstorm.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Apologies for going OT, but when filtering Brainstorm by Status = "In Development", why are brainstorms with status "Implemented" and "Under Consideration" being listed?
Bug. There is a fix for that waiting for deployment. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As someone who has yet to see anything useful come out of Brainstorm. I'm going to say, "No".
Hmmmm --- I guess I haven't been around long enough to be as cynical about it... I like the fact that you can have a bunch of different 'solutions', and then have people vote on it...

As I was reading this thread, and all of the different suggestions, I found myself thinking "oh, that's a good idea", or "don't like that one", and I'd have liked to be able to give each of the ideas a thumbs up or thumbs down...

Even if brainstorm hasn't produced a lot of other useful improvements, it seems to me like a good tool for this kinda thing...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wjbaird For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego