Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by xman View Post
He probably trying not to make promised he not sure he can keep. But it's been said before earlier in the thread about the OS he hopes to support. Which also include mainline.

But if you have every run a business you can understand that you should never promise anything, because you most avid supports can become your worst night mare if you fail to have every tiny thing you promised.
That's not how a business works. A business always works based on promises that need to be kept.
If you want to buy an apple from me, I'll have to promise you to give you an apple. And then I have to make good on that promise by actually giving you an apple. If I give you an orange instead you'll never do business with me again, because that's not what we agreed on.

My last post's intention was to find out if I can get apples here. If I can't, I'll happily move on with no hard feelings. If chen can't tell me yet if he can sell me apples that's fine. I may or may not drop by later, depending on whether I find apples elsewhere. But I want to know upfront what I'm buying.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
I can think of many companies that promise an apple and then deliver you a bushel instead. Meaning many companies will under promise to over deliver.

It does make sense that if you want a particular feature that has not been specifically promised ... then yes you would be taking a risk in buying it and hoping. I hoped and spent money on Neo900, ... but knew the risk.

I can't speak for chen, but would image that he can only promise android. Everything else is just hope.

However here are some links with him saying what he hopes to do,

This shows possible intentions, which is it would seem possibly out of his control. But he seems to be interested in having mainline supported.

Hope this help you in your decision making. I have not bought one yet, as I'm not sure it will fit my needs yet. But I'm hopefully

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-04-25 at 08:34.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Please define "decent OS"!

More to the point, is there a reason to believe, it will be running a mainline kernel with working modem (GSM calls) and reasonable power management?

Afaik Snapdragon has no reputation for being particularly Linux-friendly, but that knowledge is probably outdated.
I'm willing to compromise for a proprietary firmware here and there, but I'm not going to buy a device that needs proprietary kernel modules or other proprietary software for essential tasks.
Regardless of anyones intentions, if mainline kernel is important to you then I wouldn't buy anything until someone has demonstrated it working with such.

Certainly it won't come with such things out of the box, and is at best a gamble if you want anything other than android.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:

I can't speak for chen, but would image that he can only promise android. Everything else is just hope.

I remember how sceptical I was when Chen written his idea about creating qwerty-slider.

And I was pleasantly surprised.

So we might actually see those "hopes" becoming reality.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
It does make sense that if you want a particular feature that has not been specifically promised ... then yes you would be taking a risk in buying it and hoping. I hoped and spent money on Neo900, ... but knew the risk.
The difference to the Neo900 is, there it was always clear, that mainline compatibility was an essential target. And there was progress towards reaching that target. That point was crucial to me when I invested in the project. My investment was more into the spirit than into the device.
(That it didn't materialize in the end is a different story.)

Here I don't know so far, if mainline compatibility is even an actual goal someone seriously has on his radar.

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Regardless of anyones intentions, if mainline kernel is important to you then I wouldn't buy anything until someone has demonstrated it working with such.
True.
But it would be nice to know now, if mainline compatibility is actually something that is considered during the design process or if it would merely be an afterthought in case it happens at all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
I'm on Team Cautious as well...

I've asked before how long the pre-ordering would be open, so there would hopefully be something palatable by the end of said window, enticing enough to make me throw my money at the proverbial screen.

Since I've got no answer on that specific matter, I did pre-order the Pro1, if only to show my interest.
Ultimately, though, I'm very unlikely to actually buy it if there's no full-fledged proper non-android OS available at some point.

I'd rather miss the opportunity of getting the Pro1 than ending with a device I won't be able to use as it was advertised and perceived by my anti-Google self.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Thanks for all the interest and thoughts.

Have been working with the factory during and before Easter and there will be more info released in coming days. We have made various improvements on every aspects including keyboard, screen, finish etc.

In the mean time there is also liability testing going on. For example slider flip up and close for more than 100,000 times with the new screen set-up and the result is promising. Will share more info / pics as it finalises.

I know the importance of running a "decent" OS and trust me I do want to make it happen out of the box. Once we get the device produced and shipped I will see what we can do. Currently the no.1 priority is to keep the timeline and deliver it first, which is still the case. One step at a time.
You mention timeline, any more info on dates? July could mean 1st or 30th of the month...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
You mention timeline, any more info on dates? July could mean 1st or 30th of the month...
I guess I know the definitive timeline (valid not only for the Pro1 but all kind of unforeseen-things-can-happen-and-a-definite-date-is-just-speculation endeavours):
It will be ready when it is ready!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
True.
But it would be nice to know now, if mainline compatibility is actually something that is considered during the design process or if it would merely be an afterthought in case it happens at all.
It's definitely an afterthought, it may not be so bad to get something running and im sure people will try.

I'm sure chen will support efforts where he can, but I dont think he will be driving those efforts personally

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
I'm willing to compromise for a proprietary firmware here and there, but I'm not going to buy a device that needs proprietary kernel modules or other proprietary software for essential tasks.
Really...? Please share with us which phone you are using now, that doesn't have closed/proprietary drivers for (at least) the modem?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit