Active Topics

Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
https://twitter.com/thefxtec/status/...034162688?s=20
Looks like they're upgrading the screen to the same one found in the Huawei mate x
Very exciting news. The display has to be top notch.
Top notch? not has-a-top-notch i hope

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Top notch? not has-a-top-notch i hope
He has misread the "tweet", they've changed manufacturers to the same one Huawei uses, its not going to use the Mate X display. The display size and resolution will remain the same, as Fxtec have not said otherwise.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
He has misread the "tweet", they've changed manufacturers to the same one Huawei uses, its not going to use the Mate X display. The display size and resolution will remain the same, as Fxtec have not said otherwise.
You are correct, I did misread. Regardless, the takeaway is the screen will be higher quality than what we've seen so far, which is a good thing. I want it to be as good as possible
Who knows, maybe this will change device weight, battery life and a few other things too

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
In other news, pre-orders are coming up to 9k based on what the most recent user posted.
That's mighty impressive for a brand new company with no formal marketing and a first gen device.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
In other news, pre-orders are coming up to 9k based on what the most recent user posted.
That's mighty impressive for a brand new company with no formal marketing and a first gen device.
I still prefer Pyra, because... Resistive touch screen. And running Linux (not Android) pre-installed. But, Pyra has no camera (?), and is more of a laptop than a phone.

I wonder whose market share Fxtec is eating into. Blackberry's? What devices are pre-orderers using now, or were using before, that they hunger for sliding hardware keyboard? It cannot be just Nokia N900/N950 users, they would have surely heard of Neo900 - and Neo900 didn't get that many pre-orders (but then Fxtec is visually similar enough to modern phablets to be somewhat 'mainstream' - and has somewhat higher specifications).

In short, I will probably end up with a line-up of Lifebook (already here, might be able to upgrade from 3GB RAM to 8GB RAM), Pyra (coming soon, 4GB RAM and possible upgrades in distant future), Fxtec (3GB RAM, don't expect upgradeability :-/ ), Neo900/N900 (256MB/1GB RAM), Pebble Time (256kB? RAM) and whatever else.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Pyra is not a phone. A lot of people don't care about a device without SIM card. Me included and that's why I never got jola tablet.
Neo9000...... Well, when there was a chance for it to happen, it was already outdated and very expensive. Pro1 on the other hand is on the other hand real working device with all the right boxes ticked and with quite reasonable price tag.
I get that people here would like anything other than android, resistive screens and some other 19 century stuff but from all promised true linux, opened, blablabla phones this one exists. And while esssentially it is an android phone, it does have HWK, unlockable boot loader and guys beheind it that like some of the ideas as do people here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Pyra is not a phone. A lot of people don't care about a device without SIM card. Me included and that's why I never got jola tablet.
Neo9000...... Well, when there was a chance for it to happen, it was already outdated and very expensive. Pro1 on the other hand is on the other hand real working device with all the right boxes ticked and with quite reasonable price tag.
I get that people here would like anything other than android, resistive screens and some other 19 century stuff but from all promised true linux, opened, blablabla phones this one exists. And while esssentially it is an android phone, it does have HWK, unlockable boot loader and guys behind it that like some of the ideas as do people here.
Pyra does support SIM card (Mobile edition, that is). Just, not very usable as a phone (Fxtec Pro is not tiny, either).

Neo900 is about the only device that even dares to contemplate: 1) RGB backlight for keyboard; 2) stylus sensor; 3) hackerbus. So, hoping it will get released, some time this century. Preferably before 2040?

Unlockable boot loader is good, but not quite enough. I would like it if they offered option for users to have Fxtec Pro shipped with something else pre-installed, instead of Android: Sailfish, Maemo Leste, a few options that Fxtec endorses to the point of closely cooperating with developers, sending them prototypes, something. Because I am stubborn enough to reject Android, even when Fxtec Pro looks very nice.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Regarding notches... See:
https://www.hubblephone.com/hubblephone
Successor of Turing Phone, with at least two notches in sight.

No, I am not falling for it. I have another clam-shell in mind - Motorola A780. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_A780

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Regarding notches... See:
https://www.hubblephone.com/hubblephone
Successor of Turing Phone, with at least two notches in sight.
Holy S#!T, this thing looks like some April's Fools joke.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Wikiwide, seriously... you can just flash any other OS on the Pro1. Sailfish already got ported to it. Just flash it when you receive it. Don't be a lazy person to spend 5min to flash it. The guys behind the Pro1 gave devices to developers to port other OS's on it, you don't see other companies doing this... Instead of bitching about it, we should support it!

Or are you just trying to avoid a device just because of this? This sounds like a bullsht idea to not get the Pro1.

Good luck on the 'coming soon' devices that you're waiting for, while we will enjoy our Pro1.

Oh by the way: The Pro1 has 6GB of ram, not 3!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit