Active Topics

Notices

Dear All,
I updated smscon and smscon-editor yesterday, but I noticed that it does not accepting my SIM IMSI. Even there is no SIM changed, it smses to my master number whenever I open or close my phone's keyboard. I reset and reconfigured the settings but, problem is still there.
Is it a bug of the new update or it is not working with my SIM?

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Would it be a good idea to put a default alarm sound into SMSCON?
Yes and there should already be one. It is installed only if there is no (user supplied) alarm.wav file already.

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by santosh View Post
Dear All,
I updated smscon and smscon-editor yesterday, but I noticed that it does not accepting my SIM IMSI. Even there is no SIM changed, it smses to my master number whenever I open or close my phone's keyboard. I reset and reconfigured the settings but, problem is still there.
Detecting and sending keyboard movements does not depend on SIM-change detection (we have discussed this earlier and will change this issue to a more suitable behavior). I'm quite sure that your SIM is accepted.

Could you please open Xterm and enter this command:
Code:
smscon -get KEYBOARDDETECT default
The response should be one of "no", "yes" or "default". If it is "yes" enter
Code:
smscon -set KEYBOARDDETECT no
followed by another "-get" to check the change. It it does not work, post the responses here.

(to prevent side effects do not have smscon-editor open while operate smscon on the command line).

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by yablacky View Post
Yes and there should already be one. It is installed only if there is no (user supplied) alarm.wav file already.
Cool. Will test that out.

Originally Posted by yablacky View Post
to prevent side effects do not have smscon-editor open while operate smscon on the command line
I didn't think about that. Is it mentioned in the wiki?
Could be added to the splash screen?

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I didn't think about that. Is it mentioned in the wiki?
Could be added to the splash screen?
I thinks its enough to have the info in the wiki. Have just added it. Thanks for the hint.

No problem.

Idea
Could a command be added so when triggered a screen is displayed showing owner information and contact details of where to return the device.

Going to do some research and get COM_CUSTOM to do something like this.

Would make the thief want to return the phone, if your details came on the screen; every 15 minutes or every command for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by santosh View Post
Dear All,
same here! I am using older smscom (0.7.2) just because this smses without changing the sim
my older smscon doesn't behave like this.but the devlopers says your sim is recognized by the newer smscon.here i don't understand why smscon should send smses when keyboard status changed without changing the sim.

They say change the settings to "NO" for keyborad.but i want smscon to send smses when keyborad is opened or closed (by the theif NOT by me) so that i could snap thief photo by sending sms "camera"
therefore i want smscon to send sms whenever (ONLY) thief open keyborad(NOT ME). But newer smscon sends smses without changing the SIM!this is not a good function for me at least.

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
I reviewed the code now and yes, there was a change I'm not being aware so far:

In versions before 0.9 the keyboard detection was not armed immediately at start of smscon operation. Additionally to KEYBOARDDETECT set to "yes" there was a 2nd condition. But this 2nd condition was not related to SIM card change detection in any way. It simply and only was the receiving of a known smscon command via sms or via remote command server.

BTW, same holds for automatic battery status reports (AUTOBATREPORT setting).

IMHO neither version handles keyboard detection in a really useful way. Albeit versions before 0.9 are less bothering, indeed, it's not due to thief detection (aka SIM card change) as some may think.

Sorry for the inconvenience - we'll work on it to make it better!

Could a command be added so when triggered a screen is displayed showing owner information and contact details of where to return the device.

Going to do some research and get COM_CUSTOM to do something like this.
I have been testing different ways to do this.

Firstly I created a 25 sec .avi file from .png stills.
Using this thread, I replaced the Nokia hands for my custom message.
This method means if the device is locked and shutdown on boot up the .avi will be displayed containing contact information.

Also I have got COM_CUSTOM to display an information message with a command.
By editing /opt/smscom/smscon_script with:-
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#smscon script (v0.7-2)
#sixwheeledbeast - Owner Information Dialog

run-standalone.sh dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteDialog string:"
WARNING!!!

This device contains a GPS Tracker that can be enabled remotely.

Replacing the SIM Card from this device will cause it lock and become unuseable.

Authorised SIM Card (IMSI) numbers will be send to a remote location and reported to the police.
" uint32:0 string:"OK"

wait 60

run-standalone.sh dbus-send --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.Notifications /org/freedesktop/Notifications org.freedesktop.Notifications.SystemNoteDialog string:"
If this device is lost/stolen please return it to the address located under the battery cover.

Thank you.
I called the command "Owner".
So two Hildon Dialogs appear when I send my prefix followed by "Owner".

Couple of questions...

On completion of the script SMSCON replies 4 times to the master number. Also test functions report twice to the master.
Are these suppose to happen? Seems a bit excessive when one is enough.

When I send a command from the master number to SMSCON, it warns me that the number wasn't the master number due to it not having the international prefix.

E.G. +447822xxxxxx instead of 07822xxxxxx

This happens even though the conversation app shows the message in national/local format.
I guess the only way to solve this is to store the master number in international format?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
I have been testing different ways to do this.

Firstly I created a 25 sec .avi file from .png stills.
Using this thread, I replaced the Nokia hands for my custom message.
This method means if the device is locked and shutdown on boot up the .avi will be displayed containing contact information.

Also I have got COM_CUSTOM to display an information message with a command.
By editing /opt/smscom/smscon_script with:-
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#smscon script (v0.7-2)
#sixwheeledbeast - Owner Information Dialog

WARNING!!!

This device contains a GPS Tracker that can be enabled remotely.

Replacing the SIM Card from this device will cause it lock and become unuseable.

Authorised SIM Card (IMSI) numbers will be send to a remote location and reported to the police.

wait 60

If this device is lost/stolen please return it to the address located under the battery cover.

Thank you.
I called the command "Owner".
So two Hildon Dialogs appear when I send my prefix followed by "Owner".

Couple of questions...

On completion of the script SMSCON replies 4 times to the master number. Also test functions report twice to the master.
Are these suppose to happen? Seems a bit excessive when one is enough.

When I send a command from the master number to SMSCON, it warns me that the number wasn't the master number due to it not having the international prefix.

E.G. +447822xxxxxx instead of 07822xxxxxx

This happens even though the conversation app shows the message in national/local format.
I guess the only way to solve this is to store the master number in international format?

i was also depressed by those useless sms. i report them many times here in thread but could not get any solution. so revert back to old smscon 0.7.2 and now i am waiting for new update which wont send sms unnecessarily. ( in my case smscon used to send sms without changing the SIM !!! )
regarding your technical question i am not a developer so sorry

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos