Closed Thread
Originally Posted by scumgrief View Post
Krisse,

Your tutorials are outrageously awesome and precise. I like your style

Scum
I like your name!

PS jealous about your good deals on IT's..... Im broke, but technolust for real nice devices always exists.
If you're willing to write about tablets and you've got a record of blogging/posting on the internet, Nokia are actually pretty willing to loan tablets for free. They don't even mind if you criticise the tablets, as long as you write about them in an interesting way.

Aaaaahhh - I just visited the Internet Tablet School. Such good videos. Very informative.

They're so much easier to follow than reading instructions and are especially valuable when a forum thread goes on for pages of alternative instructions and tangents and people having problems and wording that sometimes makes it hard to search the site.

Question: aside from my wild, grouchy panic attack about not being able to read the New York Times, how do you decide on the subject of the next video(s)?

I'm just really curious

Another new tutorial, this time some hints and tips on using the browser:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-tips-for.html

Hi Betty,

Yeah, I did the instructions and videos partly because so many support forums have lots of good info but it's so difficult to find. If you ask a question that's been asked before, people often just reply "why don't you search the forums?", but that's not always easy to do if you don't know the correct keywords to find the relevant thread.

By the way, the NY Times thing was very interesting, thanks for bringing it up. I never realised just how awful that fit width option was. I've made sure to mention it in today's browser tutorial.

On choosing topics, at the beginning the topics were mostly random, but over the past month or two I've been working my way through a list of subjects that I think beginners would find interesting. I've almost finished the list, and I'm planning to then start covering useful tablet applications, and also websites which suit being viewed on the tablet (for example origami websites are great on the tablet because you can see the instructions/videos in front of you while you're folding the origami paper).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Not a tutorial, but a bit of news about the Tablet School site. I've written a short book which is designed to accompany the site which tries to explain technical terms in plain english, and also includes some articles about the tablets in general.

If you appreciate the site, please consider buying a copy:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...companion.html

There are no tutorials in the book because they get out of date so quickly, I've tried to include more timeless information in the book instead.

I should add that the book is meant more for beginners than experts, just like the Tablet School site.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
I've updated the tutorial on using the web browser, as lots of people pointed out that the green "go to" button could be used as a refresh button. I've also added details on how to highlight text on web pages, as there was an interesting thread about it on this forum:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-tips-for.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Does the KDE operating system work on a Nokia n800?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Learning View Post
KDE isn't an "operating system", and there's a forum for it over here.

Yes, pretty much. As GeneralAntilles pointed out, there's an entire forum dedicated to running it on the tablets.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
KDE isn't an "operating system", and there's a forum for it over here.
I know it's technically incorrect, but in practice I think it's okay for end users to call KDE an OS.

From a user's point of view KDE is an OS in effect: you can only use KDE apps in a KDE environment, which is pretty much like only using Windows apps on a Windows PC. Also, KDE replaces the familiar Hildon interface with something totally different, very much like Ubuntu replaces the Windows interface on a PC. I realise the technical process is different, but that's mostly behind-the-scenes stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see any practical reason to distinguish between "environments" and "platforms" and OSes, unless you're a developer or other kind of advanced user.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
From a user's point of view KDE is an OS in effect: you can only use KDE apps in a KDE environment
only things needed to run kde apps are the base kde libs and QT.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread