An update: Just installed the Power Kernel, and loaded the Starving Profile. Now I am getting about 2 days of online time, with a few hours of calling, some video/music and camera usage. Night standby is about 3-4% drop in 8 hours.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Power View Post
An update: Just installed the Power Kernel, and loaded the Starving Profile. Now I am getting about 2 days of online time, with a few hours of calling, some video/music and camera usage. Night standby is about 3-4% drop in 8 hours.
I will try it tomorrow morning.

But what you means online? 3G or Wifi? Always on with chat active?

Originally Posted by shazzy84 View Post
sudo gainroot
echo 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
echo 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp

That will enable Smart Reflex

To check:

cat /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp

If it enabled you will see: 1
If it is not you will see: 0
I tried this yesterday with a non-modified PR1.2. It made my internet connection unstable (constantly connected to gtalk)
- wifi connection didn't hold up after a few hours
- at&t Edge connection kept cutting out/in during the day

also, echo 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp didn't write into the file, done as root sr_vdd2_autocomp remained with value 0, vdd1 was fine

Last edited by bugelrex; 2010-07-15 at 21:51.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
It was only the VDD2 that caused problems for me.

Does anyone know a way to make that VDD1 be on by default after booting?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by pfontana77 View Post
Mine battery life is very worse than your guys.

My phone operatore work only in 3G mode, so i can't use the 2G tricks.

So, my battery last only 5 hours, even in stand-by, with this configuration:
1) 3G enable with 3 IM account running (Skype, GTalk, Twitter)
2) Two Widget: Foreca (2 hrs interval) and Facebook
3) Gmail IMAP check (1 hrs interval)

No Wifi at all in the meanwhile, i disabled the check interval.
No GPS.
PR 1.2 firmware

Is this normal???
Facebook widget is horrible. It will eat you alive. (Power-wise)

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
I suppose I should ask this. Is there any difference between enabling smartreflex through terminal and through qcpufreq?

@zimmerit: It's no longer possible to enable smartreflex on VDD2 with PR 1.2. So, it will write 0, even if you echo 1. I tried enabling smartreflex with qcpufreq after installing the 'enhanced power kernel' and it does go through, but the 900 rebooted in less than a 1 minute. So, perhaps it's best to only enable smartreflex on VDD1. To keep smartreflex enabled on boot, edit the /etc/pmconfig file. But DON'T ENABLE THE VDD2 on BOOT. It is unstable, remember!

@te37v: I think qcpufreq enables smartreflex on both VDD1 and VDD2, and you can't select either, which could mean reboots and unstable phone if your phone can't do VDD2.

@bugreflex: vdd2 is unstable.

@pfontana77: Wi+2G, no 3G. Only e-mail active, no widgets, no chat. About 2-3 hours of Wifi surfing, 30 minutes of video and about 2 hours of calling.

Last edited by Power; 2010-07-16 at 04:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Useful Post:
VDD2 is stable for me, and it's active, as I see a "1" when I try cat /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp

It's part of the voltage settings file i made. The only instability I get is if my phone thinks there has been an unexpected reboot, and I try to load my custom voltage settings within the first 1-2minutes of the phone booting. Haven't noticed any other type of instability.
But, my phone works with even less voltage than the starving and drained files you see around, so that may have something to do with it.

Battery life-wise, my phone lasts from morning to before bed, with moderate usage. I have bad reception (both wifi and cell reception) at work.

my battery tips:
-stay in gsm mode, switch to 3g only when you need to browse.
-i'm using 100mw wifi with max power saving.
-no widgets that update
-screen brightness hasn't changed my battery life much.
-online via wifi or gsm 24/7 (when reception allows) for nokia messaging.

ask questions if you'd like, gtg for now

edit:
i.e. was at 90% off the charger this morning at 8:45am
it's 11:45pm now, and I have 23% as reported by battery graph.
today was interesting, as I noticed the vdd on startup bug, so i was testing with it, and the phone rebooted 3 times in a row because i hit my custom settings QBW button too fast

Last edited by m0da; 2010-07-16 at 04:45.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Power View Post
@pfontana77: Wi+2G, no 3G. Only e-mail active, no widgets, no chat. About 2-3 hours of Wifi surfing, 30 minutes of video and about 2 hours of calling.
Ok, i think that there's a 3G related high power consumption. This morning i've activated the starving kernel but i have a reboot when viewing a video, so i can't do a comparative test because the standard kernel settings were loaded for about 2 hrs.

Anyway, yesterday i have monitored through ssh with top the system activity during the 3G Internet Connection + Chat enabled. I noticed that the big activity occur during the start of the connection. So i think that even without doing nothing a big drain occur when the phone intercepet the chat that i do on PC, saving it on conversation, don't found other explanation. I must do a test during the weekend to see if this is the reason.

did a few more tests and this is what i found about SmartReflex.

the setting seems to have no effect after a bit of heavy usage on the phone. simply refreshing the setting by issuing the 2 echo commands just PRIOR to putting the device to sleep causes some pretty dramatic effects.

let the screenshots do the talking.

the first screenshot shows the full effect of smartreflex just before i put the device to sleep. incidentally, i have the device set to offline mode (no gsm connection, no wifi - basically flight mode). i've highlighted the section in dark red.

the second screenshot shows the battery drain that i normally experience with the device in sleep and in offline mode. i've highlighted the section in orange.

the third screenshot shows my first experiment with smartreflex where i accidentally discovered this behaviour. you can see the battery continue to drain like normal for about 2 hours and then suddenly the battery graph line becomes almost flat. i've highlighted the section in yellow.

here's where the interesting bit starts (which makes it questionable): if you look at the first screenshot, you will notice the battery charge actually increasing all by itself twice (once at around 1am, and again at around 6.30am to 7.30am). there must be some recalibration going on in the background. also, from 6.30am to 7.30am, i had the phone in online mode (2g gsm only, wifi enabled but not connected to any wifi network, and no gprs/3g connection).

i will continue to run this for a few more days and observe the results. if the battery line continues to stay almost flat with this method, i'll be very happy indeed. it's time to script this up.
Attached Images

Last edited by droll; 2010-07-19 at 00:02.

Tags
bad at counting, switch all off