Active Topics

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
...and when iphone 4 comes out, all 3gs users will get a $100 gift card because apple loves them so much. c'mon... seriously what?

When has anyone ever seen a company give out a 'compensation' for a product that is not materially defective?

Send us your Vista install discs and we'll give you 25% off a purchase of Win7... yeah... sure.

Keep in mind we are talking about consumer electronics. Now, if the battery overheated and exploded, that is one thing.

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

I'm going to try and be very clear, I don't give a dam about the iphone 4g/3g, Vista/win 7 or a car built by a company. How about we try something new here let's talk about Nokia, the n900 and it's customer when a thread is started about it.

The thread is titled "Nokia should compensate its customers on N900" In case you failed to notice I hadn't comment on whether I agree with the thread or not, I simply commented in context on the topic the op provided. If I felt like the thread was stupid I could make a powerful statement to declare that by not making a post at all(take the hint)

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Actually, most RETAILERS provide that sort of warranty on devices. In the case of cell phones, I think there's an FCC regulation that says you have 30 days to return your phone. I'll have to dig it up--but there ARE some guarantees/warrantees... but in ALL cases, you return the product. I'm not clear on his context, but if he meant that he should get some kind of discount off the device due to a poor experience, yeah--NOBODY does that. Caveat emptor, in that case.
The latter (bold) appears to be the case, and that's how I was responding.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "realization" and how USSD is broken in PR1.2?
Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
I did not have to do anything but install the ussd-widget....

Works 100% for me - from the widget and from the phone interface

*111# gives me all the USSD functions from Vodacom (South Africa) - works 100% - everytime

But as I said, got the phone, updated to 1.2 (over Wifi) - restarted and it is just working for me (no library dissasembly - or nothing)...

Just installed the ussd-widget from extras (app manager)
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7909

Realization of GUI for USSD from nokia interferes with any other application, which uses USSD. And, as far as it closed source, the only way to fix this bug is to break it and make another implementation.

Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
IOK, iPlayer would be nice,
iPlayer works, albeit with a bit of effort: I watched the last 2 Dr Who episodes on my n900. As posted in threads passim what you have to do is goto the programme page, select the low bandwidth version link at the bottom of the page and then click the open in new window button nect to the full screen button on the video. Voila, streamed BBC goodness,

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You don't seem to get what I mean; at all.
Yes I do. I am defending MAEMO.ORG. You wanna yell a Nokia, go yell at Nokia.

This FORUM is for people who LIKE the n900, and want to help each other get the MOST out of it. Not endlessly discuss how its not an iPhone or a Droid.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Yes I do. I am defending MAEMO.ORG. You wanna yell a Nokia, go yell at Nokia.

This FORUM is for people who LIKE the n900, and want to help each other get the MOST out of it. Not endlessly discuss how its not an iPhone or a Droid.
This is indeed a Maemo Forum and it's not just about the N900 either; which is only a part of Nokia's Maemo offerings.

I don't personally want to yell at Nokia - they don't listen anyway.

I don't like the continuous flow of similar type of threads from people that sign up only to complain. NOR do I like the continuous stream of people that have recently signed up and bring so much gosh darn negativity that it turns off the people that have been long-standing citizens of this forum and tend to post much less now due to the environment here in these forums.

Now... that is what I was saying. So thanks for repeating what I've been saying?

And all of my purchases... they were spent using my own money - or my company's money. And I will never have to defend that publicly to anybody. Why would I?

I'm here because I bought something before by Nokia. I see no reason to be so vigilant over "protecting the honor" of the Nokia products. Why would you?

Makes zero sense.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-06-06 at 00:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
I am sort of stuck on Vodacom (in South Africa)...
Hey need to ask you a HUGE favour! I just got my n900 on Nashua Mobile (on Vodacom but its changing over to MTN) I need to ask you: How did you get fMMS to work? I can send MMS but cant recieve! Also, the phone keeps connecting to the MMS internet setting all the time... its kinda frustrating having to change it everytime i want to surf the net.

Thanks!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Ozzolupin View Post
I do really wonder,

do we buy a device to waste our time waiting for its softwares to get completed, is it logic that it has been more than a month since I bought the device and i don't even know, if its front camera and infrared working or not because Nokia didn't spend enough time to develop its software,
is it logic that this massive numbers of negative feedbacks is getting more and more on incompatible software or bug in the system that let you can't even do what you are working on.

i'm really pissed off and disappointed from this device, i'm not using it coz every time i use it, i couldn't get my work done on it in what so ever the field i am using it in,

the battery has to be charged two times daily other wise you have to leave the device on the shelf to save its power

A lot of application bugs and internal problems

and now i can't even remove my applications or install a new ones

thank you Nokia
you should compensate me for wasting my time.

it seems that n900 shouldn't have been sold to you in the first place...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
Originally Posted by Snak3 View Post
Hey need to ask you a HUGE favour! I just got my n900 on Nashua Mobile (on Vodacom but its changing over to MTN) I need to ask you: How did you get fMMS to work? I can send MMS but cant recieve! Also, the phone keeps connecting to the MMS internet setting all the time... its kinda frustrating having to change it everytime i want to surf the net.

Thanks!
Snak3, you'll have more luck over here I think! http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=fmms