Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I would not call it unproductive when this site is very visible to Nokia. If it were more obscure, like the aforementioned Amazon.com rants that continuously go on; then I'd agree.

But we both know that Nokia lurks this site. Not as extensive as most would like to think; however this is a place where the commonality of the ownership reigns supreme. However; the problem is that most do not see this site as a place to solve problems as much as this is the place to come when you want information, commiserate and above all find out a few things that you just will never find in a manual.
See, but the people at Nokia who see this site don't need to be convinced—hey're already believers. The people who actually need to be convinced don't read itT. That's why it'll be more productive to take your complaining to customer channels where they're more likely to be paying attention. If you want to wear the customer hat, you need to go through customer channels.

It starts with finding out if you are alone in that regard. Read the thread... if something were started now, I'm sure people will start to support that endeavor. And to think... it all started with one disgruntled post.
Sadly that's rarely the case, and it's certainly not the case in this particular thread as it's already started. Mostly it simply ends in flames, or it ends in people saying they're gonna do something productive, but nobody actually does (trust me, I've seen most of them).

We. If you were a Nokia employee, I'd believe what you said. I don't think that you fully represent the forum. I know that I do not.
qgil said it himself right here in this very thread, I'm not sure what there's not to believe. Nokia's certainly expressed their willingness to work with us.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
See, but the people at Nokia who see this site don't need to be convinced—hey're already believers. The people who actually need to be convinced don't read itT. That's why it'll be more productive to take your complaining to customer channels where they're more likely to be paying attention. If you want to wear the customer hat, you need to go through customer channels.
They're just going to have to show me some proof of how much they believe in anything. So far, I'm two devices deep in disappointment. And complaining to their customer channels has gotten me a refurbished, badly flashed 770 with more scuff marks than my original, nearly new version I had sent them. But... after some time with it, it's still ticking. I did what they were unwilling to do... provide proper support.

I don't think you got what I said in the least, to be honest. I'll just kindly request that you go back and re-read it. I didn't use overly complex words nor structure on purpose. Simply stated, the community would like to make a grievance and request to be known... we'd like to remain supported in a manner that doesn't leave a 11 month purchase turn into a regret. That would mean that it would be nice, before the decision is made, that future iterations (where possible) would receive proper openness and support by the community; instead of the (seemingly) one-man show that was the Hacker Editions.

Sadly that's rarely the case, and it's certainly not the case in this particular thread as it's already started. Mostly it simply ends in flames, or it ends in people saying they're gonna do something productive, but nobody actually does (trust me, I've seen most of them).
And trust me; some things start out in outcry in order to voice an opinion. It's not the best way; that we can agree upon. Flames, nor bad attitudes make a community work or flourish.

I'd suggest both be taken serious by all.

qgil said it himself right here in this very thread, I'm not sure what there's not to believe. Nokia's certainly expressed their willingness to work with us.
There's a lot not to believe. I'm patient though. And keeping my 770 and N810. I will wait two generations for the next one; and make my decision then. As it stands, on this very day, Nokia will not be getting my money.

One opinion in a leviathan does not make me a believer; however I'll remain patient and open-minded.

Thanks for the kind conversation. I enjoy this better than the alternative

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
It starts with finding out if you are alone in that regard. Read the thread... if something were started now, I'm sure people will start to support that endeavor. And to think... it all started with one disgruntled post.
No, things started a while ago. Lots of people, inside and outside Nokia have been pushing to make a community supported distribution possible. If things change it will be because people communicate in a calm, rational way and collaborate to make change possible, not because someone complained on a message board.

We. If you were a Nokia employee, I'd believe what you said. I don't think that you fully represent the forum. I know that I do not.

There is no we in "disgruntled". There is no excuse to have, in my case, a 770 and N810 - which I had the 770 for under a year before it was sent to Nokia 8 times. The N810, I've not had for even a year, and I'm now looking at the same situation as my 770; it feels the same at least that I will not be supported.

That's two years, two devices, some $600.00 USD that's being thrown away because... well, "We have a better platform..." mantra from Nokia. I can't keep wasting like that, putting LCD's into a landfill. Or spending a lot of money only to find my options with other devices is... well, just that much better in terms of long-term support. And trade-ins... a joke. If I see incentives that match my devotion to these devices, I'll bite. So far, definitely not the case.
Major feature upgrades aren't quite the same as "support." Your warranty is still valid, and I'm sure they'll answer customer support calls. Nokia isn't the best in terms of supplying new software releases for old devices, but they're certainly not the worst. On the other hand, you sent them the wrong message by spending money on an N810 after getting burned when they stopped supporting the 770.

That's why I turn to this community.

Seriously. That's what is being overlooked. Owners will start to feel shafted if there is not a community to support the devices after they're "run their course"... albeit in this case, very short runs.
We are the community! You and me. Some of us are stepping up and looking at ways to get Fremantle on the N8x0 devices (hey, maybe some parts will run on the 770 even!). But the more people helping, the better. Nokia gave us the tools to help ourselves this time, and if we don't take advantage of those tools, I don't see this happening again. It's time for the community to step up and prove that supporting Open Source makes sense for a company.

I just am glad that the Adobe Flex community supports me when I rant, rave, commiserate, fuss at Adobe - I have a nigh-feud with two developers, a friendly one though - or laugh at how my fixes are always upcoming.

To me, this is the same. And I'd be real upset if I got a blanket statement of "just deal with it". I'd be livid because I know how much I've invested and that doesn't make me feel good at all.
I understand where you're coming from, but it really illustrates a difference in being beholden to a commercial entity (Adobe's Flex) and having the possibility of taking things into your own hands (Nokia's Maemo). When people say "just deal with it" on this board they're (for the most part ) not saying "Shut up and take it," they're saying "Let's fix it!"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
No, things started a while ago. Lots of people, inside and outside Nokia have been pushing to make a community supported distribution possible. If things change it will be because people communicate in a calm, rational way and collaborate to make change possible, not because someone complained on a message board.
I guess the parts where I said that I agreed that it's not the best way to get things done were overlooked - I'm not for a community filled with flames nor bad attitudes at all; nor do I wish to contribute to that. But it's also a way that things have gotten done.

The insides/outside discussion that's happening at Nokia; I'll wait to see what happens. If nothing; then expect truly disgruntled people - with praise for a past platform in tow.

If something good actually happens, expect happier people - with complaints in tow still perhaps.

Major feature upgrades aren't quite the same as "support."
Neither is fixing what's wrong now with an upcoming version that will not work on my already purchased machine.

Your warranty is still valid, and I'm sure they'll answer customer support calls. Nokia isn't the best in terms of supplying new software releases for old devices, but they're certainly not the worst.
Among the worst I've seen. And I can go back to vendors in the '70's.

On the other hand, you sent them the wrong message by spending money on an N810 after getting burned when they stopped supporting the 770.
Oh, we agree 100% here. However, after 8 times, over 8 hours of being on the phone; I could hope that my message was somewhat heard.

We are the community! You and me. Some of us are stepping up and looking at ways to get Fremantle on the N8x0 devices (hey, maybe some parts will run on the 770 even!). But the more people helping, the better. Nokia gave us the tools to help ourselves this time, and if we don't take advantage of those tools, I don't see this happening again. It's time for the community to step up and prove that supporting Open Source makes sense for a company.
Again, not one argument here. It's really along the lines of what I've been saying all along.

I understand where you're coming from, but it really illustrates a difference in being beholden to a commercial entity (Adobe's Flex) and having the possibility of taking things into your own hands (Nokia's Maemo). When people say "just deal with it" on this board they're (for the most part ) not saying "Shut up and take it," they're saying "Let's fix it!"
You know... the latter is only three words, whereas the former is four. I don't even have a skillset that probably would help outside of logic and/or concept - I've never lied while here, I'm a consumer first.

I'm still learning about Mer and the other offerings. Even waiting on Android on the 770 perhaps - which is still my preferred internet tablet.

Thanks for the wise words.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Why do such discussion always rise when I'm completely offline for a long weekend?
From a quick readthrough, most things have been explained already in this thread. Just picking up a small issue:

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
To be fair, this has only relatively recently been decided, and if there's consensus on an even better process, nothing should stop it from being adopted.
Correct. That's what we also have the wiki for... I've now described the current situation of RESOLVED FIXED state at https://wiki.maemo.org/Bugsquad and of course it's open for discussion to improve, e.g. here or on the maemo-community mailing list (the latter I will definitely not miss).

Perhaps a modification of the "target" milestone would help. Ideally, of course, the issue would be assigned to the appropriate designer/developer/reviewer/architect to act as a master for the development. It would then be updated with specs and assigned through the development workflow, finally being FIXED when the code is committed to some repository somewhere (hopefully a publicly visible one).
I assume you only refer to enhancement requests here?

Failing that, what about keeping them open and assigned to "fremantle@maemo.bugs", again until some (internal) build of the software meets the requirement as outlined.
At least for bugs I'd say: Basically because it adds noise if keeping them in open state. Querying for bugs in FIXED state and with Target Milestone == Fremantle set shows up those bugs and removes the noise when taking a look at open requests that still need to be handled.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
This entire discussion is a bit pointless: Of course Nokia isn't going to fix the remaining bugs in OS2008; they need you to all buy the new tablet when (if) it comes out, especially in their current eroding market position.

The situation will be exactly the same as with the 770 to N800 transition: If you want the new features, you're going to have to give cash to Nokia. Eventually a crippled version of the new software, so-called "community developed", will make it to the N8x0, but it will only work to the extent that it will make you crave for the new device.

It's just how Nokia works. It's not as if, because they're throwing "open source" and "community" around, that they've suddenly changed their MO. Just look at them as a company that wants your money, don't pay attention to the buzzwords and the fanboi spinning and consider this: "Knowing what I know about how they've done things re the tablets since 2005, are they still worthy of my cash?"

And please, don't make the mistake of assuming Nokia is interested in or furthering the open source community, because they aren't. Or, to be more precise, they're only interested in a community that brings them profit.

In view of this, IMO the only mistake Nokia has made is in putting the launch date of the new tablet so far ahead (summer '09, which most likely will translate in to Q409) and already starting the covert "no more bugfixes" operation. I'm sure someone inside is by now really p*ssed off that people have started seeing through the "fixed in Fremantle" hussle so soon, so maybe there's a possibility of a few token fixes down the line. So keep your hopes up

Eventually a crippled version of the new software, so-called "community developed", will make it to the N8x0, but it will only work to the extent that it will make you crave for the new device.
Depends on how hard we work on said software really and I've got to say that the existing software works reasonably well - not perfect certainly, but well enough and with community provided bug-fixes/software I can't see what people are complaining about.

don't pay attention to the buzzwords and the fanboi spinning and consider this: "Knowing what I know about how they've done things re the tablets since 2005, are they still worthy of my cash?"
If you're not close enough to see that changes are underway then you'll probably say no. In which case wait and see how people react to the new software/SDK when it comes out soon.

And please, don't make the mistake of assuming Nokia is interested in or furthering the open source community, because they aren't. Or, to be more precise, they're only interested in a community that brings them profit.
Of course, no reason why that needs to be a negative thing though.

In view of this, IMO the only mistake Nokia has made is in putting the launch date of the new tablet so far ahead (summer '09, which most likely will translate in to Q409) and already starting the covert "no more bugfixes" operation.
This date is unsubstantiated afaik, and the fact you think your prediction will slip back two quarters anyway is probably just exposure to the Pandora

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Nokia are a company, not a charity. Of course they want our money.

Are they still WORTHY of our money? what a strange thing to ask. well, both the 770 and 800 have worked for me, so I guess the new one probably will too.

Hardware moves on. I wouldn't expect to run some new software on the pentium I had ten years ago. Having said that, I still use old software on one machine just because it does what I want and I like it.

My 800 does what it does when I bought it, somethings it does a bit quicker and 'better' now. That's good.

If I have the moeny and the next device looks good, I'll buy it.

simple.

And for a personel question to Karel, it is obvious from posts here that you are interested in the Pandora product, but do you have a business interest in it? It's really none of MY buisiness, but I it may influence the way I read yor posts if i knew the answer.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Don't you think that no matter how upset they were at the time, most 770 users welcomed the new software and hardware since they marked clear steps forward?
Since I was in the middle of that fire, I have to say no, they didn't welcome it. To put it mildly.

Many people who bought 770s were very happy with it in many ways, and had no desire to move up to N800s or N810s. To them the new developments did not represent a way forward so much as a way sideways.

The hardcore 770 owners (and they are legion) saw the break as a slap in the face, and despite the good intentions wrought by hacker editions it truly was a public relations fiasco, Quim. Something we really, really need to avoid repeating... and tossing Molotov platitudes at the fire is not the solution!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
This entire discussion is a bit pointless: Of course Nokia isn't going to fix the remaining bugs in OS2008; they need you to all buy the new tablet when (if) it comes out, especially in their current eroding market position.
Not at all.

Better than most, Nokia will ride out the crisis, and regardless will not depend on the sales of one niche device to prevent financial damage.

Tags
firmware, fremantle, rant