Notices

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by marce_245 View Post
How do I use this with a torrent podcast?, in the advanced options the only thing I see is the use gnome bittorrent option but its not ported to maemo. Is there anyway to use gpodder with transmission or something like that. That way it would be something like Miro.
You set the "use_gnome_bittorrent" variable to False and then gPodder will download the ".torrent" files to /media/mmc2/gpodder/torrents from where they can be picked up manually by Transmission.

For direct Transmission support, we have this feature request in our bug tracker (if you want to subscribe to it): http://bugs.gpodder.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74

I tried out gPodder today and it works pretty well. But the media players can't handle the videos without stuttering, even with the mplayer-opt script. Would it be possible re-encode the videos on the Tablets? Or select podcasts by bandwidth/resolution?

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-07-27 at 14:22.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I tried out gPodder today and it works pretty well. But the media players can't handle the videos without stuttering, even with the mplayer-opt script. Would it be possible re-encode the videos on the Tablets? Or select podcasts by bandwidth/resolution?
If mencoder or something like that is available, we can probably use the tablet-encode script and run it after downloads have finished (code for hooking up scripts after a download finished is already available, as "cmd_download_complete").

You can:
1.) Install mencoder/tablet-encode
2.) Write a script that uses the environment variable "GPODDER_EPISODE_FILENAME" to decide wheter or not to convert the file (is it a video file or not?) and then also convert the file
3.) Make this script executable
4.) Set this script in the advanced configuration editor to the variable "cmd_download_complete".

This should work. If not, simply make a script that you can run manually that will search through the gpodder download folder, find all video files and convert them using tablet-encode or something similiar.

tablet-encode can be found here: http://mediautils.garage.maemo.org/tablet-encode.html

What do you mean with "select podcasts by bandwidth/resolution"?

Originally Posted by thp View Post
If mencoder or something like that is available, we can probably use the tablet-encode script and run it after downloads have finished (...)
Great. I guess the re-encoding won't be quick on the Tablets but It's better than watching stutter.

This should work. If not, simply make a script that you can run manually that will search through the gpodder download folder, find all video files and convert them using tablet-encode or something similiar.
Thanks I'll try that.

What do you mean with "select podcasts by bandwidth/resolution"?
I mean a way to see beforehand which subscriptions have video's that will be viewable on the tablets. I guess that requires some kind of metadata in the RSS feed. I don't know if that exists. Otherwise you'd have to download the first couple of frames maybe. But this would be an entire new feature in gPodder.

I am trying to install Gpodder, but I keep getting a "Unable to install gpodder, Application package not found"

What am I missing? I have an N810 with OS updates.

Originally Posted by steppek View Post
I am trying to install Gpodder, but I keep getting a "Unable to install gpodder, Application package not found"

What am I missing? I have an N810 with OS updates.
Found my answer here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=86

Needed Chinook repos.

Basically, if OS2007 has Python 2.5 and some related modules (feedparser, ...), it should work without problems.

According to http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/installation.html it should work. Maybe you can install the OS2008 package onto your tablet when you enable the red pill mode? What's the exact dependency error message you get?
Thomas, Thanks for your response.
When I tried to download using the big green arrow on http://maemo.gpodder.org/, I got an error"Unable to install. Application package is incompatible with current software", which was not too surprising as the download link is to chinook and I am running OS2007 (bora?).
I installed x-term and used ssh to switch to root - following the instructions on that page when I did the python2.5 install line it told me it "is already the newest version".
I can't see where to download the binary install file - the only references at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/gpodder/ are to the SVN - which presumably is source code. Compiling from source is a bit beyond me though - I dont even know the package name cf the python2.5 in "apt-get install python2.5-runtime". I'd have to have pretty detailed instructions I fear.

I may just wait until I update the OS seeing as everyone is going that way and its a one click download/install. The only reason I was holding onto OS2007 is that I've read that FBreader doesn't work with later versions.
Thanks again,
Vic

Hello!

Please see http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Running_gPodder_from_Git for instructions on how to fetch the most recent version via Git (you can do this on your PC). Then, copy (scp -r) the "gpodder" folder to your internet tablet and make sure "bin/gpodder" in this folder is executable. Then, run

gpodder --local --maemo --verbose

in an xterm and gPodder should happily start on your IT. Make sure to also have python2.5-feedparser installed.

Please tell me if this works for you.

Thanks for the pointers
Please see http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Running_gPodder_from_Git for instructions on how to fetch the most recent version via Git (you can do this on your PC). Then, copy (scp -r) the "gpodder" folder to your internet tablet and make sure "bin/gpodder" in this folder is executable.
OK, I managed to work out how to get root access and to get scp to work. But where should should I copy the folder to? I tried just putting the whole gpodder folder at the root (/) but thats probably not right.

Then, run
gpodder --local --maemo --verbose
in an xterm and gPodder should happily start on your IT.
I just get “sh: gpodder: not found”.
I get the same thing if I cd to /gpodder/bin first. I even did "chmod 777 gpodder" and also tried it with root access. I keep getting not found. I don't understand why I'm getting a not found error when thats the current directory and 'ls shows it!

Make sure to also have python2.5-feedparser installed.
How do I do that? I don't see it in the installable applications list. Do I need to add a repository? EDIT: I found python2.5-feedparser and python2.5-pyinotify are shown in the application managers list of installed applications.

Thanks & sorry for the newbie questions.

Last edited by vjones777; 2008-08-02 at 02:42. Reason: discovered I have python2.5-feedparser

Originally Posted by vjones777 View Post
Thanks for the pointers

OK, I managed to work out how to get root access and to get scp to work. But where should should I copy the folder to? I tried just putting the whole gpodder folder at the root (/) but thats probably not right.

I just get “sh: gpodder: not found”.
I get the same thing if I cd to /gpodder/bin first. I even did "chmod 777 gpodder" and also tried it with root access. I keep getting not found. I don't understand why I'm getting a not found error when thats the current directory and 'ls shows it!

How do I do that? I don't see it in the installable applications list. Do I need to add a repository? EDIT: I found python2.5-feedparser and python2.5-pyinotify are shown in the application managers list of installed applications.

Thanks & sorry for the newbie questions.
Sorry, that was an instructional error on my side. Copy the gpodder folder to /home/user and then cd into /home/user/gpodder and run ./bin/gpodder --local --maemo --verbose

This should work. Sorry again.

Tags
media, podcasts