Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Manitoba, Canada
dwforslund:

Again, sorry, I have no idea why your (and Rauschd) had/have this problem. However, it is now clear that it has nothing to do with Rapier, since even trying to locate the 'gconf' module from a plain Python interactive session cannot find it -- as you have confirmed. That is why I suggested a *new* thread, if you know what I mean

This seems to be due to a broken pymaemo installation.

A workaround exist:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...47&postcount=4

dwforslund - As darethehair states I think we are having the same problem. I wish I could say I figured out a fix but nothing yet. I was going to reflash but honestly I got stubborn and figured I was going to try and find a fix rather than taking that drastic step. I'll let this thread know if I finally figure it out.

rauschd:

I recommend that you follow and respond to the new thread that dwforslund started, since Rapier (this thread) is not the cause of the problem:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=27452

I understand that this is not isolated to rapier, but I can't find out any information as to what is causing the problem from others, so far. There is no easy way to tell what is broken. Where does it get gconf from? How is it configured. I find that "labyrinth" has the same problem, so I know it isn't isolated to rapier. But so far that hasn't help solve the problem.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Quick question (to Rapier developer and any other Maemo developers here that may know):

Is the UI for Rapier tied to the functionality, or, could one rebuild the UI independent of some of the inherent functionality of the app?

I've got an idea that I want to pitch, but just want to be sure that I'm checking off my boxes. Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Rapier is just a pygtk GUI on top of the sword library wich does all the actual work (modules access).

Modules download was not implemented with the sword python binding at the time, so this part is still taken care of (badly) by rapier itself and not the sword library, but it should be possible now with a freshest upstream version of sword.

Any idea in particular ?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Yea, basically looking for a way to make Rapier easier to use. My idea is essentially pretty simple:

- homescreen widget that is simply a Rapier search box

Inside of this box a user could do a normal search:
- Romans 2:11
- Jer. 3:23, Isa. 12

And then the results would open with Rapier in the user's default version

Or a user could do a (near) natural language search:
- alabaster box
- heaven+creation

And the results would be presented by Rapier.

I will admit; initially my thinking was to change the UI, but this idea of a widget on the homescreen just felt better (to pitch).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Oh, while we have the attention of the Rapier fans, I also have a 'request' to make -- quick temporary 'bookmarks'. Why? Well, for example, in Sunday school we are studying a passage, and I am asked to look up another reference. I do so, but then I have to re-lookup the original passage (and play 'catch up' with the 'paper' Bible readers ). It would be nice to have a location 'quicksave', with (say) half a dozen 'save' locations (#1, #2, etc.). The intent is not to 'save your favorite passage' like webbrowser HTML links -- but just a temporary 'holding spot' for jumping around. Know what I mean?

Hi there.

I really doubt I'll code any enhancement for Rapier in the future as it currently fills my need. I do not know if i'll buy the next tablet model, but if i do, i hope it will be powerfull enough to port some other more mature Sword based project on it such as BPBible.

Lets wait and see...

However, patches are still welcome :-)

ARJWright: Your desktop applet should not be too complicated to do.

I never coded a hildon desktop applet thingy, but i think you can have a look at homeip (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/homeip/) for inspiration.

It is possible to have Rapier open up on a given verse by changing some gconf key, but it is not possible to have it open up with a keyword search. So, you would have to either display the search result in your desktop applet, or change Rapier code so it can perform a text search based on something like a libosso or dbuss signal.

darethehair: i see what you mean, and it sure would be a nice feature. As mentionned previously, i doubt i'll write it myself. Would you like to give it a try ? All that is needed is to add a new "Bookmark" menu, similar to what exist with the Modules menu, and fills it with a list of bookmark that would be stored in a gconf key, as well as a "add curent verse in bookmark" item and a way to remove existing verse from the bookmarks.

If you do not know python already, it could be a good reason to learn it ;-)

Let me know if one of you give it a try and struggle with the existing code or the new feature implementation.