Originally Posted by bleek View Post
Anyone wonder why the power plug is right next to the analog Audio jack?
Better than an iPod, where the line out is the same as the power jack. I don't think it causes any interference though.

I am glad that usbaudio seems to be working, at least partially.

Originally Posted by Dynamene View Post
Well, unfortunately I have some setbacks to report... After replacing the alsa libraries, the built-in sound has stopped working and my n800 will reboot when I play some types of sound files. Something's probably causing a kernel panic.
)-: I share your pain, stupidly i tried to do this without cloning the OS to memory card and ended up having to re-flash. Lesson learned.

My current status is that i have rebuilt the standard kernel configuring on the USB sound modules. Both the kernel and modules are loaded onto the device.

Upgraded to alsa-lib-1.0.17 to build libasound2
Upgraded to alsa-plugins-1.0.17 to build libasound2-plugins (including the maemo-dsp gateway)
Installed alsa-utils-1.0.17 and compiled against the updated libasound2 packages.
Recompiled bluez-utils-3.28 against the updated libasound2
Recompiled osso-esd-0.52 against the updated libasound2 packages

Naturally multimediad is nokia closed...

Still crashing at the drop of a hat and esd is still not working.

Was anyone able to get USB audio working without crashing? I'm considering purchasing the N810, but since I would primarily use it as an audio device, I'm hesitant to buy one without knowing if USB DACs work with it.

Originally Posted by the-orb View Post
Was anyone able to get USB audio working without crashing? I'm considering purchasing the N810, but since I would primarily use it as an audio device, I'm hesitant to buy one without knowing if USB DACs work with it.
I am eager to know the answer to this long-standing problem also. To my knowledge there is no currently manufactured portable (and I mean "portable") music player capable of providing in itself a pure digital signal, either by usb, coax or optical, to an external DAC. The Nokia would seem to have the means to provide this with some modest (or major?) tweaking, but I believe that many valiant and resourceful Linux programmers have to date tried but failed.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
With a 32 GB SD costing 90 EUR I don't find that a cheap solution. I've used H340 previously with HQ earphones. Top notch quality, but its HDD based and therefore heavy (not suitable during sports).

Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Better than an iPod, where the line out is the same as the power jack. I don't think it causes any interference though.

I am glad that usbaudio seems to be working, at least partially.
Every iPod? Lets be specific in compares, folks.

Yes, every ipod(except the shuffle, I guess) uses the dock connector for line out.

The guy above might want to consider getting an iRiver h120, which has coax out. You can swap out hte internal drive with CF/SD with the right adapter.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Hi, i have been following this thread since it started. There were hopes that the usb port could be tweaked to permit a digital line out audio signal. From what I can see, hope is not lost but fading. Is this the case still?

Will the development work on Debian, Mer and Android ports be of benefit in this particular function, I wonder.

koconder seemed to be very optimistic on progress and time scale but has been too quiet on this front since his last post on 26 November
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/no...killer-316007/

In the meantime I have just purchased and awaiting delivery of a used iRiver H140 which has digital coax line out. I am about to order an iBasso D10 which has an SPDIF Input.

This combination will take care of my audio needs for a while.

I will be interested to see how well the iBasso will work with theN800 headphone connection. It won’t be ideal but may be acceptable for watching video until such time as a usb solution comes about

I don’t think that any of the current PMPs have a digital line out provision. Rumour has it that iBasso are working on a music player which will be incorporated into one of their amps. Which is good news. But unless some of the upcoming MIDs seek to address this facility then it looks as if we are stuck with having to carry multiple devices for some time to come.

Which is very frustrating as the convergence of MID and PMP is as logical as the convergence of MID and GPS Navigation. But then the audio buying public actually likes the thin distorted hissy sound of crap mp3's and prefer it to uncompressed audio.
http://gizmodo.com/5166649/ipods-and...estroyed-music
So I guess we remain at the mercy of the mass market.

In any case, as I trust we're all aware, a usb-channeled music stream has its own problems
I wasn’t aware of that and I was very cheered last night to discover that my Dell M2010 has provision for a SPDIF output.

All I want next will be some decent IEMs, my Shure E2cs are just about knackered due to bad cable issues.

i also have bought an iriver that i use to record internet streams off the n800-it is crazy that the nokia has no decent music player that can record and have a working equalizer----streamtuner and streamripper almost do it -why cant canola have recording and a decent sound amp and equalizer

The Following User Says Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post: