Active Topics

i have see the 'swap.img' file on my /media/mmcX what is used for ?
must i enable the swap file on maemo control panel to (better) use kde ?

thanks !

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by L0cutus View Post
4) krusader is a very powerful kde file manager
While there's no Krusader that I'm aware of - there is Konqueror which is also a very powerful KDE file manager/web browser/pdf viewer. Do you not like Konqueror?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by L0cutus View Post
i have see the 'swap.img' file on my /media/mmcX what is used for ?
must i enable the swap file on maemo control panel to (better) use kde ?

thanks !
Swap was enabled when you installed KDE. just don't delete swap.img

Originally Posted by Westy View Post
PinCushionQueen

In looking at the thing with the V keyboard I have also found the I can solve the off the bottom of thepage thing using the vitual desktop in the task bar. Superbly you can grab the window in the 1 (of 4) desktops and slide it about. How cool!
Yes I have been meaning to point that out, use the pager

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
Ok... so Penquinbait - I've been thinking and I have a few questions about my existing KDE install (done the "old" way by partioning and cloning etc. manually).

1) Is this "new" way of running ext2 on top of FAT as efficient as just formatting to ext2?
I have not done any performance testing, but you are still running OS from flash, so it will be slower than SD/MMC boot

2) If I don't dual boot won't I loose USB-networking that I gain by using init_flasher?
This will not stop you from using the bootloader if you want, its just not needed. I will be running KDE from mmc boot, this is only for those technically challenged (NO OFFENSE )

3) Will you also be releasing any future SUPs as tarballs or are you going to just make them all .deb files - in other words - if I stay with my existing installation of KDE can I still install updates or will I eventually have to change to the new .deb method of installation if I want any updates? I kinda don't want to reinstall KDE because I've got it set up sooooooo nice and don't want to have to tweak it all over again.
SUP.tgz and kdesup-3.5.8.deb are the same files, just installed differently. There will still be future versions of SUP.tgz and kdesup-3.5.8.deb. TARBALLS WILL ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE, AND ALWAYS BE OUT BEFORE THE DEB. So all your work safe. I will probably need to make SUP.tgz for new and a SUP-upgrade.tgz, because I don't want to step on your settings, although any setting changes I make, you would not then get, only software changes.

Thanks bunches!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks Penguinbait for continuing the vitalizatiion of this devise. That said, dumb questions for you. Why is this worth doing? Better software options? More powerful office oriented software? Obviously I'm not familiar at all with Koffice. Linux product? Also, apparently this install needs at least a 2 gb internal flash card. Will any type of card including SDHC work? I would need to order another card. I currently have a 2 GB SD internal card installed. From reading his thread it sounds like maybe that is large enough. It also sounds like this install maybe can damage a card? I don't know how to use Xterm. Is there hope for me?

Thanks much,
Neil

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Thanks Penguinbait for continuing the vitalizatiion of this devise. That said, dumb questions for you. Why is this worth doing? Better software options? More powerful office oriented software? Obviously I'm not familiar at all with Koffice. Linux product? Also, apparently this install needs at least a 2 gb internal flash card. Will any type of card including SDHC work? I would need to order another card. I currently have a 2 GB SD internal card installed. From reading his thread it sounds like maybe that is large enough. It also sounds like this install maybe can damage a card? I don't know how to use Xterm. Is there hope for me?

Thanks much,
Neil

The instruction in the first post are clear, its a very easy process following them. The number one problem people are having is the debs were not fully downloaded ot the tarball was not.

2GB is required, NO MORE, when complete, there will be about 350MB or more free when complete.

I am on AIM as penguinbait. I was helping people yesterday walk through this. Come find me, I will walk you through it..

I am on AIM as penguinbait. I was helping people yesterday walk through this. Come find me, I will walk you through it..[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated Penuinbait. I'll give it a shot and look you up on AIM if I run into problems. Neil

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
I am on AIM as penguinbait. I was helping people yesterday walk through this. Come find me, I will walk you through it..
Much appreciated Penuinbait. I'll give it a shot and look you up on AIM if I run into problems. Neil[/QUOTE]

No problem, again MAKE SURE YOUR INSTALL FILES ARE ALL THERE VERIFY SIZES ON FIRST POST

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Hope this helps!
So better to dual boot... better enough to notice? I did this two days ago but flashed the n800 after I saw this thread. Should i make the effort to actually do the dual boot as its really not that hard. I am no linux user but Ican follow instructions well and there is a few good pages about on how to do this.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice