Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Well, here we are, almost in November and still no news about a new beta or about a final version. I am starting to get nervous. Has any one heard any thing?
If this was not like the fourth time this has happened, I'd get worried.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
If this was not like the fourth time this has happened, I'd get worried.
So, what has happened in the past? Did the beta expire? Did Access come up with a new beta before the old one expired?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
So, what has happened in the past? Did the beta expire? Did Access come up with a new beta before the old one expired?
well, you're still running gvm don't you? Access has so far come up with a new beta with extreme precision.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Originally Posted by cjsegninir View Post
Anyone tried iSilo with this new version?
thanks!
OK I installed it and it worked! However, I can't see the files. iSilo is a bit dumb, and it only checks in a couple of locations. I tried creating such folders in MyDocs and the sd card, but nothing. I'm thinking I might need the location where GVM installed iSilo, but I can't find it.

Any ideas?

EDIT: OK, the solution is something I would never try (But I did, thanks to Maya). You have to "install" the .pdb files to be recognized by iSilo later...

EDIT2: I'm also using joeltexeira's steps to get larger files in the sd card http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=17

Last edited by cjsegninir; 2010-10-31 at 01:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjsegninir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
well, you're still running gvm don't you? Access has so far come up with a new beta with extreme precision.
How precise? On account of it's now December in New Zealand, my VM has stopped running, and they don't have a new beta out.

It would have been nice if they had done a release even a few days early. As I've said before, I would be more than happy to pay for a version, even with the beta quality. At the moment, I've lost the use of my calendar and an important database (fortunately, I was paranoid and made sure I could access the PDBs from my laptop, but it's not the same as having the real thing).

I sure hope they at least release a new beta when they wake up in the morning.

The Following User Says Thank You to gkuenning For This Useful Post:
I had an email from Access yesterday saying a new beta would be out this week with NO expiry date.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
How precise? On account of it's now December in New Zealand, my VM has stopped running, and they don't have a new beta out.

It would have been nice if they had done a release even a few days early. As I've said before, I would be more than happy to pay for a version, even with the beta quality. At the moment, I've lost the use of my calendar and an important database (fortunately, I was paranoid and made sure I could access the PDBs from my laptop, but it's not the same as having the real thing).

I sure hope they at least release a new beta when they wake up in the morning.
Ah, so it will stop working. Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to have the data I need available from elsewhere.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
I had an email from Access yesterday saying a new beta would be out this week with NO expiry date.
That's fantastic news. I wonder if they would let me send them money as a thank-you? (Yes, I'm completely serious. Of course, work would reimburse me... :-D)

Now I just have to figure out when my doctor appointment is tomorrow...

OK, here's a very short-term workaround that will give you at least 12 more hours of usage, and (depending on where you live) up to 36. The trick will stop working at 23:59 UTC on December 1st (i.e., when the 2nd begins in Greenwich). After that, you'll have to change the date on your phone (although I'm working on another possible hack).

Here's the trick: open a terminal window, and type the following line:

TZ=XXX+24 launchgvm

That'll launch GVM thinking it's in a time zone that's 24 hours west of Greenwich, giving you an extra day. Unfortunately, the time zone code limits you to 24 hours, so you can't change the 24 to 99 or more.

Woo hoo, I'm the man! ;-)

I was able to create a "zone information file" for a dummy time zone, GVM, which is 100 days behind GMT. If you install that on your N900, you can launch GVM with a date 100 days in the past, without having to reset your clock.

Download this file and place it on your phone under the name /usr/share/zoneinfo/GVM. (You'll have to do that as root, since /usr/share/zoneinfo is a system directory.)

Now you can launch GVM from the terminal using the following command line:
Code:
TZ=GVM launchgvm
and you'll find that Garnet thinks it's late August. Hopefully, some time in the next 100 days they'll get around to releasing an updated beta and then the hack won't be needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to gkuenning For This Useful Post: