Active Topics

Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
a) whats ks?
A "kickstart" file, basically a script used by the MeeGo image builder to construct an image.

b) it gave me a list of options including ks and meego-codedrop-arm-n900-closed-201003311635.ubiimg
flashed meego-codedrop-arm-n900-closed-201003311635.ubiimg and it turns out to be a 178mb xterminal :|
Correct, that's an -old- image from the end of March.

whatever happened to dos?
it fits in a floppy disk :|
DOS was also only fractionally as capable as that terminal only image. The console only image includes all of X and Qt 4.6.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I know it's hardly finished, but it's ugly as hell. Why does it have to look like an Android OS or Iphone OS clone? Maemo 5 was and is unique.. jeez.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
I really don't like the UI it looks iPhoneish. I wish they picked something else for phones.

Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
I know it's hardly finished, but it's ugly as hell. Why does it have to look like an Android OS or Iphone OS clone? Maemo 5 was and is unique.. jeez.
Well here's the awesome thing about the project:

It's open source, even more so than Maemo. So if you really, really don't like the UI then you can create your own.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
eldar is saying the nokia interface is much better what he's seen on the N9.
so even if people dont like reference UI chances are you will like one of the vendor specific ones just buy what suites you

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Well here's the awesome thing about the project:

It's open source, even more so than Maemo. So if you really, really don't like the UI then you can create your own.
Well that's cool and all, but you do realize that not everyone has the skills and considering MeeGo is a mainstream OS, there shouldn't be a need to know how to do that stuff. I really don't understand what's so cool on the Android and IPhone UI that other developers and comapanies must copy it, it's lame, very lame and without any sense of originality. Until they come up with something nice (MeeGo tablet UI on a phone device), I'm not buying it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
eldar is saying the nokia interface is much better what he's seen on the N9.
so even if people dont like reference UI chances are you will like one of the vendor specific ones just by wjat suites your
The other thing is, as wmarone said above, if those vendors release their UI's - or other third parties develop their own UI's like wmarone suggested... those should also be packageable and installable on any MeeGo device you would think. So, even if you don't like the one the vendor gives you it's likely easily replaceable.

(How the whole dual mode/security posture will work into that I don't know..)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Aaaand I'm guessing that the N800/810/WE will NOT be privvy to any of this.

Kinda underwhelming compared to what's already out there, and it looks way too phone-oriented for my taste. Note also how they just retconned "MeeGo Handheld" into "MeeGo Handset" :-(

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Aaaand I'm guessing that the N800/810/WE will NOT be privvy to any of this.
I'm guessing that's more of a question for here.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: