Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
In a way Jolla isn't badly positioned for this as their manufacturing is mainly centered around procurement management, rather than any manufacturing or major hardware R&D of their own. Same goes for these Chinese companies. What they do lack is capital and big volumes. I'm still not totally sure how they are going to achieve sustainability.
Good point,

I was whining on Twitter about a bunch of things until someone pointed out that Twitter's not the best way to communicate complex ideas, & that there's already regular meetings between Jolla <-> Community.* So, folks who want to participate in the next meeting, or add some ideas for the meeting's agenda, please read or post here: http://piratepad.net/SailfishOSSMeetings

*I knew about it but forgot about it, in fact some earlier whining of mine prompted it's creation IIRC

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-07-27 at 02:08.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
My expectation is that unless they drop the price massively on J1 they will never make any significant sales in India, and if they do drop the price massively there will be a number of people here in europe asking for the same.

at a time when we are seeing awesome handsets like the oneplus one released for £229 from a no-name brands in china the J1 looks increasingly obsolescent.**

** this is no way any reflection on Sailfish.
re, my comment about Jolla's hopes for the indian market:

http://www.themukt.com/2014/07/26/on...as-hunger-one/

5.5" full-HD with the latest high-end quad qualcomm SoC, and the latest cyanogenmod for £229, or;

a 4.5" quarter-HD with an old low-end dual qualcomm SoC, with sailfish but for £280

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
re, my comment about Jolla's hopes for the indian market:

http://www.themukt.com/2014/07/26/on...as-hunger-one/

5.5" full-HD with the latest high-end quad qualcomm SoC, and the latest cyanogenmod for £229, or;

a 4.5" quarter-HD with an old low-end dual qualcomm SoC, with sailfish but for £280
Its like buying a Ferrari when all you need is a ... Skoda and pay more for the Skoda

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

To be fair, there's no clear date as-to-when it'll actually be there, it could still be 6-mth (or more) away...
Also, OnePlus's whole invite system is bizarre, I know what they trying to 'engineer' by taking that approach, but it could hinder more than help if they're not careful.

According to Stefano (if I understand him correctly) availability for Jolla in India will commence sometime in August, price will be announced then too:
https://twitter.com/zzste/status/493425876043042816

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-07-27 at 16:15.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Any words about jPhone ll deluxe edition yet?

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Yunfu city,Guangdong province,China
it must be waste if jolla2 cant use oth of jolla1
http://bbs.dospy.com/forum-315-1.html

The Following User Says Thank You to yaliang For This Useful Post:
+1

If a truly compelling TOH's FINALLY in end-users hand by Dec. 2014, but it's only compatible with the J1, then they'd be somewhat sabotaging themselves.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-13 at 11:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
+1

If a truly compelling TOH's FINALLY in end-users hand by Dec. 2014, but it's only compatible with the J1, then they'd be somewhat sabotaging themselves.
Why? Its quite commen for new models of phones to require new accessories like. front side, car holder, backsides screen covers. HW is like SW. it evolves.

It would be better if jolla built a phone fit for competition rather than fit in OLD backsides? dont you think. jPhone 2 must have a screen around 5 inch to meet the market requirements/Standard among premium phones. Even Apple finally after 5 years realised what I said 5 years ago. 5-6 inch is perfect screeen size with current HW design. So now we will see iPhone Air...soon...I hope

Dont be such a dinosaur

But OFC if jolla decided to go the road with a non competitive device ala 4,5 screen. Then its very strange if they dont make sure TOH fits the jP2. But I hope they dont go this small screen road...since its a dead end.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-08-13 at 12:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Aug 2014 @ England, UK
Having just ordered a Jolla I feel entitled to share my opinions. :P

For the sequel:
  • 720p display at same size
  • Carl Zeiss (or similar) camera lens at same size
  • USB OTG and MHL support
Apart from that I can't find many downsides to the current design, I don't want to force a redesign and to impact battery life substantially.

For a low end device, however, I would like to see a return to the dual-slider form factor made famous by the N95 and N86. There is still a gap in the market for smartphones with a traditional number pad, and I'd love to see Jolla fill it. As for the specs:
  • 640x480 screen, 3 inches (non-touchscreen)
  • 1GHz single core
  • 768MB RAM
  • 1500Mah battery
  • Customised build of Sailfish

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paspie For This Useful Post:
It's possible to change FF completely, but I don't think it makes much sense in light of their TOH differentiator*, J2 can still have compelling specs without changing FF dramatically**.
If they don't have anything more interesting on the horizon for their TOH story, then it'd make sense that they change FF dramatically, but rumours we've heard suggest otherwise.
If there's finally some compelling stuff coming to TOH then J2 should be the same FF, as the TOH ecosystem gets stronger they can think about migrating from current FF to 5"+ for the J3 or beyond.

*which they made a big deal about making them "innovative/unique" & "needing" (as they can't compete on the raw specs race), but which they haven't fully delivered on -yet
**for the $ I mean, especially once you add a compelling TOH story

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-13 at 15:23.

Tags
jolla, jolla 2