Active Topics

Okay so I've been searching and havn't found a decent solution to this problem either. Killing Hildonhome does sort of help but last I did that, the phone became responsive and then went back into the funk again. Hate it if you will, but coming from something as stable as S60V3, rebooting the phone every couple of days is just unacceptable. I love the device but hate troubleshooting it when I need to use it. Any ideas anyone? I'm sure it's not the widgets or the any of the software.

One thing I've noticed is that when I load up a huge video file in the media player (1.2Gb) the phone stars becoming really sluggish after I close it out and use everything else.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by discomullah View Post
Okay so I've been searching and havn't found a decent solution to this problem either. Killing Hildonhome does sort of help but last I did that, the phone became responsive and then went back into the funk again. Hate it if you will, but coming from something as stable as S60V3, rebooting the phone every couple of days is just unacceptable. I love the device but hate troubleshooting it when I need to use it. Any ideas anyone? I'm sure it's not the widgets or the any of the software.

One thing I've noticed is that when I load up a huge video file in the media player (1.2Gb) the phone stars becoming really sluggish after I close it out and use everything else.
You are sure? Get real What have you installed in to your computer (N900)? List apps. You can run in xterm
maemo-list-user-packages
What widgets you have on?

Itīs tracker indexing media. Use power search to look up more info.

Last edited by slender; 2010-08-16 at 07:33.

Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I have this problem from time to time. Usually it seems to be caused by the browser background daemons large memory usage, even when browsers not open (at the moment "browserd -s 5380 -n browserui" takes 15.6% of memory and "browserd -s 5387 -n RTComMessagingServer" another 9.4%).
It seems like the addblock extensions is loaded with the background processes, because the size of the adblock blocklist (patterns.ini, 209kB) seems to directly affect browserd memory usage. If I delete the blocklist files, the "browseui" process only takes 6.3% of memory but "RTComMessagingServer" stays the same.
So I guess I need to look at alternatives to adblock...
Yep. Itīs bit confusing that people install adblock pretty easily even-thought it makes browser use more memory and on my N900 it slows page loading little bit.

I use old good hosts blocking
http://wiki.maemo.org/Ad_blocking#Hosts_file
And css flash blocking.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
You are sure? Ger real What have you installed in to your computer (N900)? List apps. You can run in xterm
maemo-list-user-packages
What widgets you have on?

Itīs tracker indexing media. Use power search to look up more info.
Yes I am sure. Because if it were any of the widgets, the device would slow down from the get go, meaning right after the reboot when the widgets initialize. But for your heart's content, I have the Facebook feed, Fm transmitter shortcut, Ap news, Rss reader, Connect now and Conversation Inbox. I agree this thing is a computer, but it needs to be just as stable as well, especially if it is running Debian Linux.

Yes I am sure. Because if it were any of the widgets, the device would slow down from the get go, meaning right after the reboot when the widgets initialize. But for your heart's content, I have the Facebook feed, Fm transmitter shortcut, Ap news, Rss reader, Connect now and Conversation Inbox. I agree this thing is a computer, but it needs to be just as stable as well, especially if it is running Debian Linux.
Try it without Ap News, RSS Reader and Facebook widgets. IMO, they all suck cycles or memory after a while.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

I will do that and get back to you guys in a couple of days.

Yes I am sure. Because if it were any of the widgets, the device would slow down from the get go, meaning right after the reboot when the widgets initialize.
Wrong assumption my friend. To opt out that widgets are causing slowdown the only way to do it is to remove them from all desktops and use n900 for couple of days without reboots and review situation again.

Here is mega bug report about same kind of issues what some users are experiencing:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723
Maybe related:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10412
About tracker:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6108

I stand corrected. I have disabled the widgets and now I'm monitoring. Havn't come across a slow down since yesterday, hopefully this will be the root of the problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to discomullah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
I have this problem from time to time. Usually it seems to be caused by the browser background daemons large memory usage, even when browsers not open (at the moment "browserd -s 5380 -n browserui" takes 15.6% of memory and "browserd -s 5387 -n RTComMessagingServer" another 9.4%).
It seems like the addblock extensions is loaded with the background processes, because the size of the adblock blocklist (patterns.ini, 209kB) seems to directly affect browserd memory usage. If I delete the blocklist files, the "browseui" process only takes 6.3% of memory but "RTComMessagingServer" stays the same.
So I guess I need to look at alternatives to adblock...
Getting rid of adblock seems to have improved the situation on my device at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to espux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
Originally Posted by THT View Post
Hi, I am having similar issues like you. While listening to music incoming SMS would cause the music to stutter for a few seconds. Incoming voice calls would stutter the music playback a few second before it automatically pause and the phone screen would appear in very slow refresh rate.
These are the sorts of thing im experiencing. even if im not doing anything! id say 50% of the time i experience these issues.....

phone can be in standby, maybe one browser window open, and an email comes through. it cant even play the std email alert "bling" without stuttering.

i use the crank ring as my sms alery, and it sounds terrible most of the time, as it stutters and misses bits.

phonecalls are annoying to, as my ringtone stutters badly, and it takes 4 or 5 presses of answer button to pik up.

youtube vids are a ball ache, as it just wont play until the whole thing has buffered. in the mean time it stutters and skips. so i have to pause it until completely downloaded. meanwhile the same video has already finished playing on my mates iphone

another odd one is typing. very often i get symbols come up where its thought ive long pressed a key even though i havent.

im on pr1.2, rootfs is 55meg, not got devel active, only wigits are facebook and download monitor and a couple of queen beecon wigets for OCing. it even does all this running 850mhz.

theres got to be some explanation. ?

http://pininthemap.com/maemo
masterpin: shotgun

Tags
you're a mess