Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
because it so obviously is not the future.

while apple gained some "oohhh" and "aaahhh" for its touch screen only design, most other devices that were introduced afterwards included a keyboard (again) because in reality it's just so much easier this way. - same with our tablets, the N810 introduced a keyboard after Nokia had tried to convince us that this wouldn't be necessary.
i agree that touchscreen is not the answer for everything. But nokia has how many non touch screen phones? I mean 99%is non touch screen.... how would it matter if they continued the touch screen support atleast 5% of the new phones developed after 2003? That way they would cater to a different set and the iphone would not have been as big a pr stunt as it has been.

Nokia definitley faltered there. Hope it does not again.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's hard to feel like Nokia's fostering a strong community when it bases the hardware and portions of the OS on closed-source or proprietary specs. It's gotten better, mind you, but the impairments along the way don't help moral.
Honestly, it hasn't gotten much better. But, from all appearances, it will get better -- Fremantle should be a big step in this area, but I'm having a hard time hanging on without getting high blood pressure from some of the Nokia input in bugzilla (re: rotation and softpoweroff, especially).
From the wireless drivers to the DSP, at least Nokia fought to open them but might it not have been better to start off with an open hardware platform the way eee did? ...or maybe I'm just still a bit bitter from waiting so long for someone to just provide these things that were always there.
Honestly, I think the stunning success that is Openmoko is a closer analogy. The Eee was practically commodity hardware, fully IBM PC compatible. An equivalent doesn't exist for handhelds, and while x86 has been pushed (Origami/UMPC, MID), it's utterly unsuited. Especially 4 years ago, an emphasis on openness could have killed the tablets or crippled them with inferior, but open-drivered, components. Could/should they have opened things faster than happened? Probably, but it's easy to get very unrealistic expectations.

The stunning success of Openmoko? The company is barely hanging in there after they've sold only about 10000 devices this year.

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/...ry/038918.html

Last edited by chlettn; 2009-01-09 at 22:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Benson, can you define 'stunning success'?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The rule of success is to anticipate or better, create the demand. Somehow Apple pulled that off. No reason other successful competitors could not have done likewise... especially those with a head start.
Good point. The line between success and lost opportunity can be thin. Some companies will see the line and some won't. And there are some that see the line, but regrettably are too small or underfinanced to do anything about it.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Benson, can you define 'stunning success'?
I'm quite certain it was sarcasm. Especially as the rest of that paragraph points out the total lack of viable open hardware alternatives.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Honestly, it hasn't gotten much better. But, from all appearances, it will get better -- Fremantle should be a big step in this area, but I'm having a hard time hanging on without getting high blood pressure from some of the Nokia input in bugzilla (re: rotation and softpoweroff, especially).
Everytime I see 'fixed in Freemantle', I get the distinct feeling that this translates to, 'WON'T FIX', since it sounds like I won't be seeing it on my Nokia N800 and, given my experience so far, I'm pretty willing to let another brand convince me that they might be better at supporting their own product and being more open.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Honestly, I think the stunning success that is Openmoko is a closer analogy. The Eee was practically commodity hardware, fully IBM PC compatible. An equivalent doesn't exist for handhelds, and while x86 has been pushed (Origami/UMPC, MID), it's utterly unsuited. Especially 4 years ago, an emphasis on openness could have killed the tablets or crippled them with inferior, but open-drivered, components. Could/should they have opened things faster than happened? Probably, but it's easy to get very unrealistic expectations.
I'm not sure I understand why it would be unrealistic. If a company with some market share and weight like Nokia intends to provide an open product, history will show that that brand and the component manufacturers will tend to be the leaders of that industry in much the same way IBM used off-the-shelf parts and created an open platform for even a small system like the desktop PC decades ago.. and everyone that copied it was branded an 'IBM Compatible' or 'IBM clone' for so very long. This history has happened many times with many different fields. Nokia COULD be (could have been?) the same brand leader known for ushering a standard others would have only been COPYING if it ended up being the useful, unencumbered portable device that commercial and private interests could tailor to suit their own business or personal needs easily.. but we've had these roadblocks along the way that are making it very difficult to hack at the software and the hardware. I'm not sure that it's unrealistic so much as risky, if they don't study tech history to know why some things succeeded and others failed. But settling back down of my high horse, I'll admit that I'm just a geek, not a business major--what the hell do I know, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by chlettn View Post
The stunning success of Openmoko? The company is barely hanging in there after they've sold only about 10000 devices this year.

http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/...ry/038918.html
This is why you need good marketing and partners along with good platform and hardware. I mean.. where can I even get one of those here in the US with a carrier?

The point is that no carrier would offer something like the OpenMoko in its current state - you basically can't sell it to people who are not totally into tinkering/modding stuff. Can you imagine the return rates among "normal" people?

"Openness" isn't marketable to the broad masses, since they simply don't care about it. If anything, the iPhone shows that pretty clearly at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to chlettn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
(I will never forget the speed at which we all fixed the GPS issue.)
Me neither...

The founder and CEO not eating his own dogfood and using a BlackBerry Curve to check out his e-mail as a form of addiction is quite telling about the device? But, such a device as phone, could be a good compliment to a MID or netbook, and given this does not and will not support HS*PA in the near future...

You probably won't be able to buy an Openmoko phone with a simlock from a mobile telco because that is quite against the spirit of an open platform.

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?