Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I think what Nokia should do is redesign their icons. If you claim to come out with a 'new' OS UI then it should look newer as well. The UI also has too many round edges. The Winmo7 interface is where design is at in 2010, not the rounded edges that remind me of my old Palm Treo600/650. The MeeGo mobile prototype screenshots are closer to where they should be taking their interface.

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
a lot of people have built some pretty outlandish expectations regarding the S^3 UI. Symbian^4 and Harmattan will deliver the new Qt based UIs and that's the earliest we'll have a chance of seeing any significant improvement.
Mmmmm what is so outlandish about coming up with a UI comparable to 'todays' competition? Andriod was built from scratch for the time it took Nokia to create the pile of garbage v5.

If only they had spent their resources instead on perfecting Maemo... sigh

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Is this a Symbian vs MeeGo??

Originally Posted by jsa View Post
It's probably not finished yet and there's only a couple of screenshots, but that's pretty much how it's going to look. The UI still uses the same old Avkon widgets, it's the same old applications with maybe minor enhancements. It's just that we're in the internet and a lot of people have built some pretty outlandish expectations regarding the S^3 UI. Symbian^4 and Harmattan will deliver the new Qt based UIs and that's the earliest we'll have a chance of seeing any significant improvement. And Nokia knows it too, but they just need to put something out before that and they already skipped S^2.
Spot on. While I shouldn't be surprised that a lot of people never ever bothered to read about what S^3 was going to be (S60v5 plus 3D effects and multi-touch), a bit of embellishment wouldn't hurt.

Depending on the price, and if its going to upgradable to S^4, could be a nice buy.

On the other hand, I had a good laugh with Eldar comparing S^3 to iPhone OS, who has been mostly stale since the 3G. Even stock Android is more or less meh. For me, the truly impressive mobile UI right now is HTC Sense.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Lets not get carried away by the Russians opinion. If I had followed his opinion on n900, I would have missed out. I will hold off on HTC Desire until this ships.
Yet his opinion was correct - he stated N900 wasn't nearly as good for mass markets as, say, the Droid/Milestone. I know it's the right device for me, but that just isn't the case for most people.

And yeah, S^3 is basically S60v5 with a little bit of polish.. I guess Nokia relies on people who've always bought Nokia to buy that one, because it's so much behind the competitors OS vice. The hardware is good though (and especially the qwerty slider model is really slick), so they'd have to promise the device(s) S^4 upgrade to attract buyers.

The Following User Says Thank You to low life For This Useful Post:
Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
http://www.mobile-review.com/article...lki-64.shtml#1

Oh my God. Is Nokia really trying to disgust every single client all over the world? After the gigantic failure of the N97, a phone from Bedrock, this one is already 2 years older than its competitor.

NOKIA DROP SYMBIAN FOR GOOD.
You already delayed the new version of Symbian twice (nokia delay? wow that is new)... and this is what you are working on? I mean this is the new flagship?

Actually dear Nokia you have only one device worth buying and it's the n900 with maemo5 the only multitasking OS on the market today. Even if it is a resistive screen. But your policy it's to let it rot... with little support, constantly delay over updates, and zero prospective.

Maybe Nokia should study the Big Blue case to undestand where are they going!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Why does the Internet icon look like Apple Safari?

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Nokia are a huge let down, i think after their recent 'flagship devices' alot of their consumer base will jump ship to Apple or Andriod. Most of us have to see out our contracts first

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
Shame.

Symbian it is a dead platform. Android it's eating it up. In dec 2010 there will be only flop phones using Symbian...

N900 it's the only vital device you have mr. Nokia and you are letting it rot? You're to be finished asd IBM. R.I.P.