Active Topics

Thanks. I've more or less given up hope of a magic gps fix. If the problem was easy to fix, they would have done it by now.

Anyone know what the message "cached data is not valid" means under the new Info window?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Anyone know what the message "cached data is not valid" means under the new Info window?
I believe it means that the gps data needs to be updated via the network. Start an app that uses the gps to refresh.

Frank

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The magic GPS fix is a 3rd party GPS (e.g. via BlueTooth). With or without A-GPS, this will be very fast if you buy a GPS with a Sirf-III or MTK chipset.

The update for A-GPS is actually useful because now you can see if the thing is functioning. This was huge feature which was lacking IMO. So I'm happy with the new beta thus far.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bay area, CA // Kampala, Uganda
Yeah, I'm happy with the update. It's nice to get some feedback that it's actually doing something, and see whether or not it needs to go online.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Why can't they give the option of setting the location by, say, location where your clock is set? Or some lat long entry?
If I touch the screen just a little off I'm off by several degrees, which is quite a distance.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Why can't they give the option of setting the location by, say, location where your clock is set? Or some lat long entry?
If I touch the screen just a little off I'm off by several degrees, which is quite a distance.
IMHO the lat/lon is already displayed while the stylus is moving but disappears quickly. Always displaying it would be a major improvement and I would think rather simple to do. Past that, it would be nice if the lat/lon could be keyboarded in addition to the stylus entry method.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Because while you can get the timezone, and maybe the country, this is often not enough. One could say, get it from GPS like OMweather does, but...

Skyhook Wireless API might work, but there is no support for it on the NIT (yet).

What they could do is 'zoom in' on the area covered by timezone + country. This is a lot smaller than the (huuuge) world map already.

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Anyone know what's new in the latest agps update that was just released?
Where do you get this update? It's not showing up in my application manager, and It's also not mentioned on the Nokia Beta site.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I got it with SSU update. They don't offer updates to all users at the same time. I'd think you'll be seeing it. The deb file name is agps-ui_0.11-1beta_armel.deb and it's at http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com...ser/a/agps-ui/ if you don't want to wait.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Because while you can get the timezone, and maybe the country, this is often not enough. One could say, get it from GPS like OMweather does, but...

Skyhook Wireless API might work, but there is no support for it on the NIT (yet).

What they could do is 'zoom in' on the area covered by timezone + country. This is a lot smaller than the (huuuge) world map already.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3833

If someone fancies trying any of these, all you need to do is write the lat/long/time to a gconf entry

Tags
a-gps, gps