Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Erm... what deception!? I'm all for discussion; however there are some things that just... well, don't make much sense sometimes.

I swear some folks just type out some inane rhetoric that sounds cool, but it's honestly drivel. What does ads have to do with Nokia possibly working with Microsoft?

From what I see... absolutely nothing.
Hmm, I think you misunderstood my post. Anyways, I accept I wasn't that clear too.

If Nokia & Microsoft's talks are at giving us some quality productivity apps, then be it. And they would make me happy. I have no complaints there. However, I won't be happy with even the idea of an WM7 on Nokia devices.

With reference to ads, I was more pointing at Apple's iOS and Google's Android which eventually will target ads at their users. This is for sure. And I wouldn't want to fall in their traps (deception!).

So, are we on the same page now?

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
How are you comparing the two operating systems?

At this very moment, MeeGo in a finished form isn't on any device. So there's really no way to honestly compare them - only speculate on what MeeGo "may" deliver.

Microsoft finished their OS, it's out in retail. MeeGo is unfinished, not all aspects complete and it's not yet released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
How are you comparing the two operating systems?

At this very moment, MeeGo in a finished form isn't on any device. So there's really no way to honestly compare them - only speculate on what MeeGo "may" deliver.

Microsoft finished their OS, it's out in retail. MeeGo is unfinished, not all aspects complete and it's not yet released.
I accept that. Nokia has delayed its product for sometime now. But the fact that they are still committed to open-source (with MeeGo & Qt) is worth-the-wait alone.

Look at it this way: Maemo (on a phone) is already in the market since late 2009. In these 1.5 years (by the time meego appears), they could have really polished maemo itself and released maemo6 with their next device. But they didn't do that. A strong reason should have been there. And that reason as we all know is Qt. MeeGo from the ground-up is based on Qt and which is a good decision.

I understand that Nokia is taking too much time for MeeGo to come out but this is all part-and-parcel of the game with any big company out there. Also remember, HPalm OS is yet to make its mark. So, the game is really not that over yet.

The mobile industry is here to stay. When you are preparing for a long-term war, it's always better to plan your moves ahead. May it take some extra time in the beginning, it all pays well in the end. This is where I think the other companies are some what missing on their long-term strategies.

Now, let me again go back to your post and try to address your other concerns too:
MeeGo though is not officially available on any device yet, people (including me) were able to successfully load it on their N900 and try it out.

One beauty of open source is that, people need not wait for the actual device to know what they would be getting. They can instead look at the MeeGo's work flow and get a feel of what can be expected. And please remember, we are talking Nokia here. They have enough experience in delivering phones to users and also in writing code. So, I would trust them with what they say. (I also agree that there have been few bitter promises in the past but let us hope that it doesn't happen again this time around).

So, basically what I am trying to say here is, it doesn't matter, who starts first. It's all about who survives till the last and this is at this point, I am willing to bet on the Nokia+MeeGo+Qt+Symbian horse.

The fact of the matter is we haven't seen anything yet in the mobile space. Amazing things are awaiting us in the near future and I am excited.

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
I accept that. Nokia has delayed its product for sometime now. But the fact that they are still committed to open-source (with MeeGo & Qt) is worth-the-wait alone.
I don't share the same faith; however I do understand. Maemo 5 eclipsed Maemo 4.1 in all ways (almost). So hopefully the progression continues.

Look at it this way: Maemo (on a phone) is already in the market since late 2009. In these 1.5 years (by the time meego appears), they could have really polished maemo itself and released maemo6 with their next device. But they didn't do that. A strong reason should have been there. And that reason as we all know is Qt. MeeGo from the ground-up is based on Qt and which is a good decision.
I see what you're saying... but I can't agree. Maemo has been around on tablets since 2005. The addition of the telephony bits should have been handled better since... well, it's Nokia.

I understand that Nokia is taking too much time for MeeGo to come out but this is all part-and-parcel of the game with any big company out there. Also remember, HPalm OS is yet to make its mark. So, the game is really not that over yet.
To be honest - and mind you, I'm honestly enjoying discussing things with you, as always - I think that MeeGo is progressing nicely... but it's the avenues to get information that bother me. I would love to hear information from Nokia directly. Not by people with periphery connections to Nokia/MeeGo. Seeing demos are great; hearing from Nokia that they've kept a platform moving forward and how it will be deployed would be great.

That's no disservice to the Quim's, Texrat's et al... but the communication about MeeGo is too scattered. News about HP's take on WebOS comes from HP directly. Blackberry and their QNX derived Playbook comes directly from Blackberry.

MeeGo's communication? Random folks, random countries, random events that I hear about usually a few days before they start or after they've ended. Won't lie... perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place(s). I don't mind shouldering that blame.

The mobile industry is here to stay. When you are preparing for a long-term war, it's always better to plan your moves ahead. May it take some extra time in the beginning, it all pays well in the end. This is where I think the other companies are some what missing on their long-term strategies.
100% agree. Quoted for emphasis.

MeeGo though is not officially available on any device yet, people (including me) were able to successfully load it on their N900 and try it out.
I can't consider that a full-blown implementation yet though. It's getting there, but as far as it stands, it's unfinished. I fear that if I were to review an unfinished product, I'll end up in the same boat as Eldar - much maligned and complaining about things that are "yet to come".

One beauty of open source is that, people need not wait for the actual device to know what they would be getting.
I love open source. Champion it daily in my work - all but Adobe Flash/Flex that is. But at the same time, the whole "design by committee" approach can yield bad results in some open source projects. All I can do is just hope that MeeGo is as embraced as I think it should be. But to assume too much right now, when all it takes is to educate folks better straight from the sources mouth (read: Nokia) then the assumptions get lesser, the anticipation gets even higher and we're more in the loop for being a community that's behind their products.

Something is amiss. It's communication. It's not anticipation.

So, basically what I am trying to say here is, it doesn't matter, who starts first. It's all about who survives till the last...
Again, 100% agree.

...and this is at this point, I am willing to bet on the Nokia+MeeGo+Qt+Symbian horse.
I don't agree here. They're a viable player, but not one I'd say will dominate. Not yet.

The fact of the matter is we haven't seen anything yet in the mobile space. Amazing things are awaiting us in the near future and I am excited.
And here, my friend... we agree. Thanks for discussing and clarifying your earlier statements. It is much appreciated.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What can nokia do if Microsoft open the wallet? Since most stockholders want money and at the moment only "lose" money. I think it's an excellent time to buy Nokia.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What can nokia do if Microsoft open the wallet? Since most stockholders want money and at the moment only "lose" money. I think it's an excellent time to buy Nokia.
If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't buy Nokia. If I were Nokia, I wouldn't sell to Microsoft.

Nokia has money. The money "lost" is nothing compared to their money they've earned. I think the stockholders are just unhappy with the direction, not their pockets (not fully).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't buy Nokia. If I were Nokia, I wouldn't sell to Microsoft.

Nokia has money. The money "lost" is nothing compared to their money they've earned. I think the stockholders are just unhappy with the direction, not their pockets (not fully).
On the other hand, Microsoft also has one of their own sad, sadistic puppet-masters at the healm of Nokia. Further bolstering the argument that they don't NEED to buy Nokia.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
well, MS most do something(read buy market shares). I don't see how they shall be able to get any shares without some help. Nokia dont need to take market shares as fast as Win7 but they are slowly bleeding and must act. Still don't see nokia knocking down doors with meego...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
well, MS most do something(read buy market shares). I don't see how they shall be able to get any shares without some help. Nokia dont need to take market shares as fast as Win7 but they are slowly bleeding and must act. Still don't see nokia knocking down doors with meego...
I love how they sold a whopping 40,000-some off phones at launch, refused to talk to the press about their numbers... and when they were pressed for numbers, they finally claimed to have "sold" off 1.5 million phones in the first six weeks. Mind you, they mean they sold them to stores--not to customers. Lovely.

Remember, though... 200,000 new activations of Windows Phone 7 a WEEK... vs 300,000 new activations of Android a DAY.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
MeeGo has deals with BMW, GM, and somebody else. On the OEM side of things, MeeGO is making some strides. MS only has Ford right now.

With that said... Microsoft mustn't do anything. The sales of WP7 have been slow as hell... but a Nokia/MS hybrid would probably piss off the people that worship Nokia more than it would help Microsoft.

So I don't see that pairing as a benefit right now. Perhaps once fanboyism, the new CEO does something that hushes the critics and the naysayers and Nokia does something that is universally applauded and then perhaps a MS/Nokia deal would sound appealing to people that want the growth in the enterprise area.

Tags
armageddon, circle jerk, going down, horoscope, internet eldars, mental jerk off, nokia of borg, phone different, rumors, unfounded