Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
i would like to be able to use onering to use google voice like i do the skype. so that it only uses the network, and not my minutes.

currently, seems that if i initiate a call with the google voice, it starts the call, then cancels the call, then my google voice account calls me and connects me to the other party....but still using my cellular minutes.
Try IPKall via Callcentric. It's free aand works perfect!!
http://www.broadbandphoneline.com/ipkall/

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by getnani View Post
Try IPKall via Callcentric. It's free aand works perfect!!
http://www.broadbandphoneline.com/ipkall/
i dont see how this would work with gvoic to make and recieve all calls through data only.

man...im in sip hell...opening all these accounts just creates confusion.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
i dont see how this would work with gvoic to make and recieve all calls through data only.

Google Voice is a forwarding service only. It needs something to connect to. Generally you can only connect it to an actual phone number. Skype-in, sipgate, and ipkal provide phone numbers that then allow you to use a data connection for the actual call. An alternative is if you service offers a Favorite Five, some people have made GV one of their favorite so all of their calls are free with a cell connection.

here are a couple of screen shots.

1 from the dialer, where i can select to make the call with my gvoice account, but all it does is start to dial, then cancel the call, then my gv account calls me and calls the other party....so it is using my minutes and not my data.

1 from the contacts, to show, that i can make a gv call (which does what i described above) to any number that i have in as a phone/cell/etc, but only has an option to IM that party's gv account, and not call from my gv to thier gv.

the only way i can get it to give the option to call thier gv account is to enter it in the GV option and also as an additional phone number (i choose a non-cellular option so that it does not give the option for sms)
Attached Images

Originally Posted by epage View Post
Google Voice is a forwarding service only. It needs something to connect to. Generally you can only connect it to an actual phone number. Skype-in, sipgate, and ipkal provide phone numbers that then allow you to use a data connection for the actual call. An alternative is if you service offers a Favorite Five, some people have made GV one of their favorite so all of their calls are free with a cell connection.
hmm. smart about that five faves thing.

so here is what i have, if you would please coach me, it would be much appreciated.

a cellular number
a google voice account
a skype account

here is what i would like to have happen. (note that i do not care about incoming calls to google, but only need it to mask my outbound calls with a different number and also use the google voice voicemail. while only using the data network)

to have my voicemail use the google voice system rather then tmobile. (so i *400*1408xxxxxxx# and it set that. so no problem on that)

to allow for me to start a call with google voice and have it be a total data call. so my guess is that i have to have the google voice set up to actually "call" my skype number, and then google voice will also call the other party i chose?! therefore actually being a skype call on the data network with google being the mediator/connector?

to allow so that my outbound call actually shows a different number then what my google voice number is. ie-if my google voice number is 4085551212 and when i make a call through the google voice, i want the caller id to show on the other parties device as 4086662323.

it was suggested to me that i use https://www.pbxes.com and make that work...but i could not figure it out.

thank you for your work and continued support on this project!

1 from the dialer, where i can select to make the call with my gvoice account, but all it does is start to dial, then cancel the call, then my gv account calls me and calls the other party....so it is using my minutes and not my data.
This is expected behavior and has been explained in previous posts.

1 from the contacts, to show, that i can make a gv call (which does what i described above) to any number that i have in as a phone/cell/etc, but only has an option to IM that party's gv account, and not call from my gv to thier gv.

the only way i can get it to give the option to call thier gv account is to enter it in the GV option and also as an additional phone number (i choose a non-cellular option so that it does not give the option for sms)
The GV plugin (TOR) has support for providing contacts and for working with system contacts. It has been a long outstanding bug against Maemo 5 (that I never expect to see fixed) that for system contact integration, only GV SMS or GV Call appears but not both.

I know it can be kind of confusing but I wonder if you are mixing the two up. By default if you have a contact with a regular phone number, a single GV button should appear. When you have a GV contact, both buttons appear. If you merge a GV contact with a system contact or add a GV number to a system contact, then I guess 3 buttons would appear which looks like what you are seeing.

with skype, i do not have a number, only uses my login id or email to find me.

just fyi.

Originally Posted by epage View Post
I know it can be kind of confusing but I wonder if you are mixing the two up. By default if you have a contact with a regular phone number, a single GV button should appear. When you have a GV contact, both buttons appear. If you merge a GV contact with a system contact or add a GV number to a system contact, then I guess 3 buttons would appear which looks like what you are seeing.
the top two that show, are actually that contacts cellular number ending in 000, and the on below it with just the IM is actaully their google voice number. it doesnt give the option to "call" the GV number only IM it.

1. You gota setup a callcentric account get a number
2. then register with IPKall and get an actual US Number that eventually calls you callcentric number
3. Setup a sip VOIP account and configure your callcentric SIP.
4. Setup ur GVoice such that your call back number is this IPKall US number
5. Now if you initiate a call via gv. It disconnects and calls your SIP. and then connects your SIP to destination- which what i believe you're after, right?

Instead of IPKall you can opt for Skype In or something like that. Only difference is that you actually pay for others, where as it is free for IPKall!!

to allow for me to start a call with google voice and have it be a total data call. so my guess is that i have to have the google voice set up to actually "call" my skype number, and then google voice will also call the other party i chose?! therefore actually being a skype call on the data network with google being the mediator/connector?
That is correct.

As we have mentioned, there is a free alternative (if you aren't already paying for skype-in) by using sipgate. You can create an account on that site. You then get from them both a regular phone number to connect google voice and SIP credentials to setup a SIP account on your n900. It would then work the same./

to allow so that my outbound call actually shows a different number then what my google voice number is. ie-if my google voice number is 4085551212 and when i make a call through the google voice, i want the caller id to show on the other parties device as 4086662323.
Because it is an inbound call from GV that sets it all up and this is in the closed source parts of Maemo, I doubt anything can be done about what number you see. I've not seen this as too big of a deal as I just initiated the call so I know who it is with (unless I misclicked ). I could possibly popup a banner but I dislike sidestepping the IM/Call framework.

Tags
google voice, maemo 4, maemo 5