Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
youth in asia ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longcat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What I'm wondering:

Is W7 a smartphone OS at all? I know that the definition of smartphone is somewhat vague, no matter how you look at it. But there's a set of features that I simply expect in a smartphone, therefore they (for me) define a smartphone. These features are a combination of "what I expect from the computer-side of the smartphone" and "what I expect from the high end phone side". Examples: full multitasking, file system access, full controll of what can be shared (and how) via bluetooth/USB, copy/paste, freedom to install anything from any install-file you find on the web, video calls, MMS, ... Few smartphones have them all, but they have at least most of them. (And before you ask: No. I never considered any iPhone version a smartphone. Because of the features it lacks.)

Now W7 not only lacks some or many of these features. It lacks most or all of them, as far as I know. How come anyone calls it a smartphone-OS? What does W7 offer me as a (admittedly very demanding) consumer that S40 cannot provide? How can it compete with the platforms Nokia is about to abandon?
your criteria is wrong, you are thinking with a wrong mindset

A smartphone is a up market phone that the customer will pay more money for and the company can have a high margin on.

Thats it.

A commodity "dumb" phone is a phone that the customer will not pay much for and the company cannot earn high margins on.

Thats it.

So yes, the iphone was a VERY smart phone.

Do you think the company will give a **** whether a phone has multitasking etc or not if it can earn the same margin on a phone with it and on a phone without it.

And before you say the company's view point is irrelevant, it is the company that makes the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
so much so for the promise and potential of meego, wait I vaguely remember feeling the same about Maemo a little over a year ago..

Distinct feeling of Déjà vu setting in...

Why Nokia???? Why????

I think you have now lost your most loyal customers as there really will be no way to tell you from the herd, you are just another HTC, Samsung, LG etc and you will need to catch up with the rest fast as they have bee working with big screens, amoled, fast processors for quite a while now!

No longer will the OS be a differentiating factor on deciding to buy a Nokia device..

So now that Meego will be another unsupported, one off Niche device what do people recommend as a follow up to the N900?

I do so love my n900 but it is getting long in the tooth...

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
youth in asia ?
A person working for a company that makes mobile devices reducing Nokia's mobile phone market share.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
your criteria is wrong, you are thinking with a wrong mindset

A smartphone is a up market phone that the customer will pay more money for and the company can have a high margin on.

Thats it.
That's an expensive phone. Not a smart phone.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rent View Post
are you sure they're going to loose customer??

reading some italian forums I saw so many enthusiastic opinions...
ermm... Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but have you looked at the active topics today? I hardly see loads of Topics praising the move to WP7.

Nokia is just making itself seem more and more generic by the day, I suppose my realy point is why should I now buy a Nokia phone? Before I might have done so for the open OS or maybe I liked Symbian... Either way there was a reason, now there is not.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Its kinda smart. Of the unnamed companies that make smartphones with unreasonable high margins. like apple.

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
ermm... Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but have you looked at the active topics today? I hardly see loads of Topics praising the move to WP7.
... Dude you are on a forum filled with FOSS advocates.

Hardly representative of the general population, who wouldnt even know what FOSS IS.

I will not be surprised if some general consumers saw it as a good move as it seems to them Nokia is doing SOMETHING new rather then just mucking along.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
... all of which your average user on the street, which has the $$$, gives a **** about...

official support unimportant ? so how are you going to modify the closed source parts of the OS ? or get access to services or content that is proprietary ?

get a grip, its this mentality like this that has driven Nokia into a ditch - its like you guys live on another planet or something...
I don't need access to closed part of the system. HW is not changing so there is no need to change software conterpart also. And every relevant protocol is open. IMAP, SMTP, VPN, HTTP, SSH, etc.

I don't think this decision is very rational, it seems Nokia is very much afraid of google.

I mean we'll see WP7 devices by the end of the year. I cannot believe that the meego people would not have been able to produce a superb OS by then. Including a good Ovi Maps implementation and lots of Qt apps. I mean android is not super-polished or perfect, nevertheless it sells.

To the end user Nokia's WP7 phones will not be different from others.
I mean the Ovi brand was not big, but it was developing, maybe not in the US, but in other places.

It really does not make much sense to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org