Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Newcastle
just picked up my new n900 tonight! nokia replaced whole thing. looks pre-owned but no scratches on screen, stand magnet not lost and no keys worn.

yay!

I've solved flashing with an old RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin, then I updated whith Ovi suite and now work....

for how long?I dont know.I think it's a hardware problem.

Sorry for my English.

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
I have now started getting this message. Has anyone completely resolved this with a full re-flash?

just started having this problem last week

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by bigears5000 View Post
I have now started getting this message. Has anyone completely resolved this with a full re-flash?
Yes, yesterday. Follow instructions, don't reboot between eemc and the other, do it in Linux if possible.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yes, yesterday. Follow instructions, don't reboot between eemc and the other, do it in Linux if possible.
Sorry - complete reflash did not help for me... It must be a hardware issue.
Mine is now traversing the support hierarchy at Nokia - guess I'll have to rely on my backup N900.

I've had this problem for about a week now. Intermittent at first but now it has reached the point where I have lost all ability to use the N900 as a phone.

It seems to be a hardware problem because in the beginning a piece of paper between the SIM slot and the battery helped, but then it stopped.

I got the N900 in the USA, so I only had a 1 year warranty that expired last December. Although I will keep the N900 as a WiFi tablet, I would be delighted if I could find a way to regain the telephony functions.

Does anyone here have the soldering ability to try to fix or replace the SIM slot, similar to the USB slot soldering that was done by a few on another thread? I'm not even sure that the problem is the SIM slot itself - it could be another part on the PCB, but the fact that the paper under the battery helped at first seems to indicate that this might be the problem.

I myself have no soldering experience and would probably destroy the phone if I tried to do it myself, but if someone succeeds in solving the problem this way, I could probably find a shop to do the job for me.

Bennie

reflashing did not help me either. i followed the experienced users method under the emmc on the wiki.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It would be nice to get a fuller description of what you did from those of you who flashed the eemc AND the fiasco image.

Sorry that Wiki document is so complicated.

My N900 is still working perfectly after my reflash.

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco
Ya buying the n900 in the US with 1 yr warranty is a pain in the arse. And don't even try sending it to nokia care US asking for a quote for the repair, they won't even do anything but send your phone back 10x worse than when you sent it.

It's definitely a hardware issue, specifically the antenna connections. I opened up my device and found that if I "pushed" the prongs a little up (the prongs for the antenna not the sim card), they had better contact to the left "L" looking piece of the device

ie:

However it would only work occasionally, as I noticed on that "L" piece that my prongs have caused indents into the gold plates. If you can replace those plates I'm sure the connections will work again. Sadly I "pushed" my prongs a little too much that they came off and i couldn't be hassled by soldering, so i ended up buying a new one on amazon (ha!) :P

Tags
antenna, communication, depressing, disabled, error, problem, telephony