Active Topics

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
True!

I think easy should be our way.
Moderators to split up metas for the start and further an automated system doing the talk stuff at once, thats it.

I still think we should have something like a "depends on" hint or something alike.

b) is already true and n) is my current state

For the loosing solutions problem, if talk is some day automated (first post has it all), we just move the whole talk thread over to Applications with changing the name to the developers choice of solution.

No more, no less.

Agreed?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
What about dependencies? 2 Solutions block each other when working on the same code in different directions, but what about dependencies?
The Diagramm is only a fast drawing on a high level and has only the focus on a single Brainstorm.

The Ideas (that could mutate to solutions) are only drawn as black boxes. I want only to vividly illustrate what i'm talking about.

Every single Idea should be independent. Move them fast from one to a other Brainstorm by a Moderator or Admin. (a information where a Idea was befor should be logged and viewable for everyone)

You can see. I haven't drawn any kind of propertys to a Idea blackbox. But there are several things imaginable. I attached a little sketch of a Single Idea. The blue text are the User Groups that can edit the fields.

But qgil is always right. This bug is our first step to a better world: Can't move solutions to other brainstorm proposals

And he it is correct. The Brainstorming is only a idea pool for the developers. Thers no kind of liability. Sometimes this could get very frustrating. But I hope this kind of improvements and a better feedback could help the users to understand why their Idea was blocked and a other was preferred by the decision maker.

The picture in my head is just huge... lets get the first steps done by hand, a feature to mark single solutions as "under consideration", "in development" as well as "implemented" would be great to start with. So not the brainstorm changes state but the solution! (thats what Helmut says isnt it?) also a direkt linking for dependencies, for solutions and brainstorms, should be setup. (Maybe a bugtracker as brainstorm-solution backend?)
Yes, thats correct.
The biggest thing to solve is to release the hard relationship between Ideas (Solutions) and Brainstorms.
Then the Moderators should be able to edit the Brainstorms and Ideas. To Correct and order them. (please, including History)

The next big change (if wanted) is to track the Ideas (Solutions), not the Brainstorms. (its a cange in the system, I guess a hard work)

Everything else, relations to Bugs, links to blocking Ideas are only fields and columns in a database. Should be very easy to add more columns to a Item like a Solution when the system itself works correct.

What about to add redirection links if a Brainstorm is deleted for a other one?

For me a small but huge improvement: Please add the possibility to show more than 5 Brainstorms at once. (or have I missed a Button at the Brainstorm pages?)
Attached Images

As the original poster of Ovi Maps improvement suggestions I feel I need to say a word or two, since so many seem to be complaining about it.

To beginning with, I obviously could't imagine how huge it would become. It kind of took me by surprise. And it happened quite fast too. As a consequence some began to complain about it, especially a certain individual, whom I will not name <cough>qgil<cough> out of respect of his anonymity.

Anyway this unnamed individual suggested that this Brainstorm should be divided into several smaller ones. I did this and this is the result. It's not immediately apparent, but if you look at it very closely, you may notice a slight difference on the amount of votes.

After this "experiment", I decided against making any more separate Brainstorms of the original Ovi Maps thing. If i remember correctly, I already then suggested that the stage of the Brainstorm should be set per solution. I'm happy to notice that others have the same idea. I think it's the most logical solution for this problem. After all, people tend to prefer to participate on few popular events instead of a zillion small ones.

About this "responsibility" thing. It's not a bad idea on some Brainstorms, but perhaps not all. I certainly do not have the capacity to take the responsibility of that Ovi Maps Brainstorm. My only idea was that if someone from Nokia could see it and then pass on the popular requests. Then again, I do know for the fact at least one individual from Nokia (the aforementioned unnamed person) has seen it. But he not like me Brainstorm. He say it is very big poo poo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Anyway this unnamed individual suggested that this Brainstorm should be divided into several smaller ones. I did this and this is the result. It's not immediately apparent, but if you look at it very closely, you may notice a slight difference on the amount of votes.
Thank you! Brainstorm moved to In Development with Harmattan as target. Please remove from the Ovi Maps meta-brainstorm the duplicated solutions referring to turn-by-turn navigation. Also feel free spinning off more brainstorms from there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I believe I have found a way to make everyone happy. I mentioned this in the Forum redesign brainstorm thread but will repeat here:

I have an idea how to accomodate [Quim's] concerns and mine at the same time. Since the Brainstorm tool structure does not handle metastorms, I will use cross-referencing to connect the individual proposals. I also plan to create a master thread here to "rule them all and bind them". To that extent, I propose we create a new prefix called [Metastorm] to identify such threads. The first post of such a metastorm would list the individual Brainstorm proposals and provide links.

I think this is a good solution in lieu of a more functional tool.
This will be more clear on my upcoming diagram.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
This will be more clear on my upcoming diagram.
Hey Texrat, I'm only posting to point you to this post: #34

Another opinion. You should not miss this. Just for completeness ...

We're sitting here and waiting for your diagram. ...eager...scared...helpless...

Have you thought about grouping Ideas (Solutions) in Brainstorms instead of creating Metabrainstorms and track the groups instead of the Brainstorms itself?
It's something in the middle of my suggestion and the current system.

Mmmh... anyway... I guess this could become a question of faith.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sorry, my sucky paying job has been getting in the way of work I'd rather do.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Have you thought about grouping Ideas (Solutions) in Brainstorms instead of creating Metabrainstorms and track the groups instead of the Brainstorms itself?
It's something in the middle of my suggestion and the current system.
Sure. But the current tool won't support it as is.

Lately... Flandry, Quim, Randy and myself started to talk about what to do with the current Brainstorm situation.
(...)
Please feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and problems!
(...)
If we are going to keep the "voting process" for anything, we could add a new category of vote or at least make very explicity what it means to vote yes or no (specially thumbs down).

What I've being observing is that people are voting down for things that they don't care for. "Oh, that's a feature that I don't even know or couldn't care less about...so thumbs down!".

Example:
Proposal: "Make it possible to change the partition scheme (VFAT, MyDocs, etx3, rootfs, etc)"
Typical negative response: "No way! I don't know what you are talking about, I don't want to mess with it, thumbs down"

Either we create a third option, "I don't care" or we make it certain that voting "NO" is very different from not voting at all.

That is my 0.02.

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Another Argument to seperate the terms Ideas and Solutions: Post #20

Originally Posted by Tesno View Post
By the way, why there are two solutions, but only one vote?
Some People are Confused. "Voting for the Brainstorm? 2 Solutions? What I have to Vote for? Both Solutions are going to be implemented?"

Edit: Okay. The thing below has been settled.

And by the way as asked here 3 days before: Why is a Brainstorm mit carma 19 still in the Status Waiting?
Is there something broken?

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-02-09 at 15:10. Reason: Status Changed

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Beautiful. Sounds like semantics but as simple as it seems, semantics can trip up the best of processes.

Again, this supports the concept of solutions (or ideas) have semi-independent lifecycles.

We need to think of the model as project/task, and ask at each step: how would a project manager (or management tool) handle this?
Coming from the project management side, I'm working on a proposal which contains a general action handling/tracking system behind , which would help most of the problems you were listing in the last 6 pages [hopefully, this is not addressed in the next 5 pages, otherwise I replied too soon]

Anyway, being a long time PM, I'll do now something, which no sensible PM would ever do: I release early my draft prezi of maemo.org community proposal. Take a look: http://prezi.com/qefcq69cpjkm/

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Tags
brainstorm, bug, community|nokia, dependencies, discussion, improvement, process, sop, workflow