Active Topics

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Are you being specific to one or more of the current solutions? Could it be the solution you want has not been created yet?
To be absolutely honest, I got confused by all the possible alternatives, variants and combinations. If I could vote for 'change' without being specific what, I'd be happy.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
The position you stated above is akin to not voting for gay rights or for religious freedom for a small sect, on the ground that you aren't, respectively, gay or a member of that sect. (I apologize to gays and other minorities of much greater significance and persecution than N8X0 users for this trivialization!) You can believe the state of things ought to be better for some other persons or group, and then lend your effort to make it so on their behalf. (In contrast, by your logic, how could men ever have voted for women's suffrage?)

So I think you should vote.
To follow the analogy, women's suffrage was a nice, clear-cut issue: women wanted the vote. 'Rights' for a minority group is a nearer analogy, since the question of exactly what rights are felt to be missing is something only the oppresed group can express. I can champion the cause in a non-specific way, but can only campaign/vote for specific solutions if someone can show me what is needed. At this point in this exercise, the minority is determining what they feel will most meet their need. Tell me what to vote for, and I'll vote.

Certainly if the outcome will have a detrimental effect on n900bs I should be concerned, but nothing I have seen so far suggests that it will be - on the contrary, happy tablet users will make for a happier forum.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post

I can champion the cause in a non-specific way, but can only campaign/vote for specific solutions if someone can show me what is needed. At this point in this exercise, the minority is determining what they feel will most meet their need. Tell me what to vote for, and I'll vote.

Certainly if the outcome will have a detrimental effect on n900bs I should be concerned, but nothing I have seen so far suggests that it will be - on the contrary, happy tablet users will make for a happier forum.
This Brainstorm is not specifically for we oppressed legacy-Tablet users. There are all kinds of solutions being offered for all kinds of forum issues, not only for "minority" problems. But Solution #1 it is the most important for this little not-so-important oppressed minority, and it does not impact any of the other Solutions. (Solution #1 is also expressly included in at least Solutions #4 and #8.) It's the key for the remaining N8x0/770 users on this forum since it would let us go through the New Posts without having to view the N900 and Fremantle posts, which make up the vast bulk of threads. (At this point, I personally would also use it to exclude the Competitors and Off Topic from the New Posts that I view.) The way things are currently, without being able to eliminate Categories from New Posts, it is very hard to skim through and find the posts that are relevant to us.

Solution #1 also has zero negative impact on N900 users' use of the forum. At worst, it would take some time that the webmaster could possibly put to something you would find more constructive for your own purposes. But it would in no way hurt the functionality of the forum for you. In fact, if you're ever in a hurry, it would likewise let you eliminate categories from New Posts that you don't want to view at that time, like "Competitors," which is generally just pissing matches between N900 aficionados and fans of the iPhone or Android.

So, I still think you should cast your vote at least for Solution #1 (and maybe for some of the others). Thanks for having responded intelligently and directly on the issue. I appreciate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Reggie, is Solution #1 something you can implement or not? Will you or won't you? Or is there some step required still to officially move forward?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Reggie, is Solution #1 something you can implement or not? Will you or won't you? Or is there some step required still to officially move forward?
Did you see Reggie's post a page back?? Is what he is referring a temporary solution you could live with?

That is probably the easiest solution for Reggie to implement since it's already apart of the forum software and it appears to address at least the most immediate need that you are after.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Yes, I read it, and I should have replied that I need further explanation because I'm not sure what this means: "you can however scroll down the page of a forum category, and specify a filter based on a specific Prefix."

It doesn't sound good. What I care about is just filtered New Posts. I'm not sure, but I don't think Reggie's solution addresses that.

Reggie's Prefix approach seems to me more a response to the "multi-dimensionality problem" -- a sort of substitute for tags.

Reggie also calls it "another thing we can do," which at least implies the feasibility of other solutions, hopefully including #1.

Also, Reggie's solution requires appending a Prefix to every existing thread. If Solution #1 is doable, it's actually much easier. As explained in Post #17, it requires merely the combining of two features that the forum already employs: memorable category-filters (like Advanced Search already has) added to the exactly-as-it-already-is New Posts function.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-12-28 at 09:15.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Another (easy?) solution added, from an earlier comment elsewhere:

If possible, separate the major sections into tabbed pages to shorten the distance readers have to scroll down.

Based on current layout, tab headers would be:

Talk | Software | OS/Platform | Devices (etc)

Although I would order them as follows:

Devices | OS/Platform | Software | Talk
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._tabbed_layout

"Solution #13: Add FAQ and/or threads that have successfully solved issues to talk side-bar" strikes me as a very good idea, but I could use more elaboration or links to examples elsewhere, to help me visualize it.

I PM'd Reggie about this last week. No response.

It's a reasonable request: I WANT TO BE ABLE TO CALL UP NEW POSTS WITH SOME CATEGORIES FILTERED OUT. The forum has been hell for N8x0/770 users without that functionality.

So I'll ask Reggie again:

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
I really love the dark classic look, and almost everything about the forums. It is one of my favorite forums, from a usability and design perspective. My feature wish is probably to mark threads as 'uninteresting to me'.

I really hope it doesn't get 'improved' too much!

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, rules, threads