Active Topics

Notices

sigh ... I knew the bugtracker was coming. But couldn't it have waited a bit longer?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikhas View Post
sigh ... I knew the bugtracker was coming. But couldn't it have waited a bit longer?
All those 3 bugs in there are for me, what should I say

I screwed my ubuntu installation running the scratchbox a few days ago, so i'll need to reinstall. While I'm doing this I'll give the checkmate some thoughts.

Mikhas made my day though by releasing version 0.1.5-1 to extras-devel a few minutes ago! great work!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Looks amazing! Can't wait to play some games with my family during the holidays.

Great animation! Great to see that the pieces are always looking into players direction.

Me on twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
kore, do you have a bugzilla account? Please assign your bugs to yourself or your humble bug triager will.

PS: grrr I'm on data only right now and downloading Miniature pulls 16Mb, I guess from frsh Qt 4.6 packages. That would be very expensive free software? Hopefully I will get under a wlan tomorrow. Can't wait!

Last edited by qgil; 2009-12-22 at 18:22.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Any volunteer willing to refresh screenshots at http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature#Screenshots ?

I'm gelous of the fortunate ones able to get the last version!

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Any volunteer willing to refresh screenshots at http://wiki.maemo.org/Miniature#Screenshots ?
I didn't refresh screenshots but added two new Screenshots no. 5 and 6.

Me on twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Our veteran programmer vetoed the drop shadow animation, as it looks too '80s for him. I'll try to make it '90s then, with a mosaic zoom-out/zoom-in effect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:
Choosing a transition is something a graphics designer can do. Is there somewhere a collection of effects to choose from?

The bug that is bugging me more at the moment is the lack of castling. There is no way to go ahead with a proper game without this. Then the pawn promotion. We can leave with a King not knowing that is under check from a Knight as long as the human players don't miss it, just like happens with an analog board.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Pencil iteration available at http://wiki.maemo.org/Image:20091219_001.jpg

Changes:

- Now the resolution and sizes are quite real.
- Status area is gone: all real estate was needed so we go fullscreen. Also the status area was the only non-symmetric element, perhaps disturbing the Black player.
- "Check!" and "Draw?" messages demonstrated.
- The bottom right corner is now dedicated to keep the last moves of your opponent. The figures will be drawn with pure Unicode characters!

You can download the image and set it as background of your 800x480 display device to give it a usability go.

To me this is ready to be handled by a graphics designer. I guess that mikhas has enough to keep his code going as well.

EDIT: added point about the status area gone.
just mock up? I'm down, I'm here and there, but I'm here for good now. Life in order again!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Choosing a transition is something a graphics designer can do. Is there somewhere a collection of effects to choose from?
Hahaha, not really There are the QGraphicsEffects, which would be awesome if they wouldn't fail so badly on the performance side. So it's all down to manually programming the animations (not as bad as it sounds, connect to a QTimeLine, apply transformations in the callback), and do pixmap caching where possible.

The bug that is bugging me more at the moment is the lack of castling. There is no way to go ahead with a proper game without this. Then the pawn promotion. We can leave with a King not knowing that is under check from a Knight as long as the human players don't miss it, just like happens with an analog board.
Right, there is a whole series of bugs related to check. I even managed to get my king captured (no knights involved).

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhas For This Useful Post:

Tags
chess, fremantle, miniature