Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Does the full body Zagg make the back look too glossy? i kinda like the matt finish ..
I does look very glossy with zagg on. I like it though. / Claes

I'd like to share another experience with the Zagg InvisibleShield on the Nokia N900. Personally speaking, I have been reading a lot of other reviews, opinions and comments online and couldn't really summarize it or to make up my mind about the product in question. So finally I decided just to try it myself and placed the order.

Upon receiving the package a week later, I found that the application solution box with the sponge had leaked and there wasn't much of it left to be used. No worries - I prepared a solution with dishwashing liquid instead, which was suggested by many. It worked really great, so no problem with that part.

I prepared quite thoroughly as I didn't want absolutely any particles of dust to get stuck underneath the shield. I did the whole process in our shower room after sauna, so the air in the room had been hot & humid for hours, eliminating any dust that could be floating around in the air.

I cleaned the screen with window-washing spray and removed all the dust particles from it after it had dried by gently brushing it with a paper napkin. It even stayed clean for the following minutes, as the air was dust-free.

Then I cut out the screen protector from its plastic bag in a way that a part of the plastic was still attached to the front side of the shield, so that I could handle the film without having to touch it. After removing the paper backing, I sprayed the under side with the dishwashing liquid solution. Same spray went on the N900's screen.

The application went smooth - much like you can see on many videos on Youtube. End result was awesome: no dust or bubbles whatsoever. There were some microbubbles, but they dissolved overnight just as the manual said.

For the visual appearence, I was really satisfied. I had not been expecting much, but the device looked as good as it used to and didn't catch fingerprints as it had been doing before. From all the things said online, you can really believe that the Zagg leaves the N900 looking almost OEM.

However, the same cannot be said about responsiveness and the "feel" of the screen. Even as the shield is 0.2mm thick, it certainly adds another layer between the touch-sensitive screen and your fingers, so you lose a bit of the original insane accuracy.

Secondly, the Zagg shield does "improve grip" as promised or in other words: it makes your fingers stick to the screen. While this effect reduced after settling in overnight, it certanly does *not* provide the same smooth and slippery surface as the naked N900 does. I suddenly found myself in an annoying situation: when I swiped the screen gently, it didn't register anymore (or worse: it registered intermittedly) and when I used enough force, it scrolled/panned perfectly, but my finger started getting stuck all the time, so the movements weren't smooth anymore.

This got really annoying. I wasn't able to carelessly browse around in the media player or the web browser as I had gotten used to without the Zagg shield. Instead there were many mis-clicks and skips occurring which sometimes made using the interface quite hard.. and definetly not as joyfully pleasant as the N900 I had started to like so much. I started to realize that when you put anything at all on a delicately calibrated touchscreen, it's bound to change..

Personally, I simply love how the Nokia engineers have designed the screen and I wouldn't change one bit in it. I've seen many remarks online which are saying that the N900 is at the very peak of what is possible with a resistive touchscreen and I couldn't agree more. I find that the accuracy, ease of use and the possibility of using your gloves or a stylus absolutely put any capacitative-screened iPhone to shame. Anyone that has used a N900 can testify to that..

So in conclusion: even when the Zagg shield looks great on the N900, you won't experience the engineering wonder of that touchscreen anymore: scrolling becomes jerky and it's less accurate when doing anything but simply tapping. Maybe it just needs time for getting used to.. but frankly this was still too high of a price to pay. I removed the Zagg InvisibleShield from my N900 about 24h after applying it - it's just not for me.

I really hope that my experience will help someone else make up their mind and try another manufacturer's shield instead.. or just buy a leather case for the device like I did last week and leave the screen as it was designed.

Cheers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnagel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
My Experience :
1. Order zagg full body.
2. Received it after 2 weeks.
3. Install 2 days ago, Package was well packaged, I got it with a little spong, not the spray, not leaking, all ok.
4. Install went perfectly smooth, no need for heat blowers fans fire smoke or beer.
5. Applied solution to the shield, a bit to the phone, carefully located the shield on the phone, squeegied the solution and bubbles out while soaking them into cloth.
6. No bubbles, phone looks good, most stickyness went away after 1 day.
7. Touchscreen : Still responsive, still looks great - Yes it changed a bit but I cannot say it's for worse.

Ultimately this thing did make the phone looks a little cheaper, but I rather it looks cheaper, then expensive with ugly scratches all over the place.

Bottom line : I'm happy I purchased it, and i'm keeping it.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

WTF? There was a thread about this? I offered 2 sets of coupons in 2 different threads and got only one nibble, they all ended up going to waste.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Fiji Islands
Have you seen Clear Coat cover for N900, i use that, its pretty good too.

Originally Posted by mfr View Post
Have you seen Clear Coat cover for N900, i use that, its pretty good too.
No, But a link would be nice! I don't have to google everything do I ? (:

Edit : I tried to check out clear coat, found the site on google,
but it's down, some php mysql problems they are having.
So I found some external reviews, they describe it as made in the same material like zagg shields, but less accurate to phone shape, faster shipping - I am happy with my zagg.

Last edited by eitama; 2010-04-07 at 10:33.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 4,475 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Hi!
I want to share my own opinion about Zagg InvisibleSHIELD for N900.

Personally I have liked it very very much.. it gives me a nice grip.
I find grip feature pretty much essential to me.. because I have usually very dry hands.

I have already dropped N900 on the second floor to the concrete ground floor ...SMASH! bit of plastic debris came out and metal frame bended a very little on the one corner.. but it is nothing that shows and everything still works perfectly.. thank god!)

I sketch and paint a lot with MyPaint application.
MyPaint uses N900 Pressure Sensitivity and I have not noticed any side-effects about pressure, it is actually works nicely.

ZAGG Shield gives me nice friction and soft feel when I draw. I like the feature, but this is personal. (I do not like Wacom pens basic plastic nibs either which are very slippery when drawing on tablets. I prefer Felt pen nibs when I working with Cintiq.)

Tone

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Well, what is your long time conclusion?
I got my phone in early January and applied the full body cover right then. By now most of the parts that are not on a flat surface have come off. Ok, they did not come off completely but got loose on the edges after a while and when it got too annoying i removed them completely. Maybe i didn't apply them right, or does it happen to you too?

The most important part on the screen holds good though, and the flat part on the camera cover holds also. Now i have left only the front and back cover and the back cover part has also started to come loose on the edges. It's just a matter of time till it will get really annoying and i will pull it off.

Anyhow, it fits better into my car mount kit without the side parts.

Just a quick question for anyone who owns this, is the screen protector separate in the full-body version? It's cheaper to buy the full version in the UK at the moment, so I was just wondering.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Dead1nside View Post
Just a quick question for anyone who owns this, is the screen protector separate in the full-body version? It's cheaper to buy the full version in the UK at the moment, so I was just wondering.

Thanks.
separate.

blablablablablablablabla

Tags
accessory, invisibleshield, n900, screen protector, zagg