Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Nice, but where's the 3G(+) model ? :-)
(and the BT variant, of course, for the tablets...)
(which would then need a *battery*... duh :-)
... and the version that opens my mail, and ensure's my bacon's crispy (but not burnt), and occupies my girlfriend between the moments that I pleasure her?

}:^)~
YARR!!

Capt'n Corrupt III: the revenge

I just wish there was a Slingplayer app for my N800.
It works great on my N95 but I'd like to have the bigger screen of the N800.

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
Originally Posted by iball View Post
I just wish there was a Slingplayer app for my N800.
It works great on my N95 but I'd like to have the bigger screen of the N800.
which n95 do you have? I was just look at the 8gig but i think the n810 comes out at the same time i can only buy one ;( i wish i had money like bill gates.

I have one of the launch non-US N95s.
Before that it was an N80 Phoenix-flashed to N80ie firmware to get VoIP.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
I have one of the launch non-US N95s.
Before that it was an N80 Phoenix-flashed to N80ie firmware to get VoIP.
wow! talking about VoIP what do you think about this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...pe_3_analysis/

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
If NITs are to go mainstream there has to be more obvious consumer appeal - having hidden depths of ability is lost on 5-minute reviewers and the general public alike.
The ITOS/maemo UI looks fine to many of us. I think, though, that there is a consensus that design-wise apple is shifting consumer expectations.

One of those expectations is smooth animations and transitions. Static icons and dialogues popping-up and disappearing looks old school, slidey zoomyness looks new.

OpenGL can be an enabler for this (though not strictly necessary), but i don't know of an open-source GUI framework that uses it. Is there something like this? A beryl type windowmanager isn't what i'm thinking of.

I think Apple can do this eye-candy easily because their userspace apps aren't tied to an existing UI framework like gtk. Is that right? They just make it up as they go along?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
If NITs are to go mainstream there has to be more obvious consumer appeal - having hidden depths of ability is lost on 5-minute reviewers and the general public alike.
I'm not sure about this.

First, I don't believe in NITs in a mainstream product such as cell phones or media players. I firmly believe they will become more popular in the future, but I don't see the "mass market" for a long time to come. (Which is fine and in no way negative.)

OTOH, whats the "obvious consumer appeal" of a desktop PC? What does a 5-minute-reviewer get out of a freshly installed Windows Vista box, given he'd never seen a Windows PC before? Not much, does he? - Ah, this example sounds wrong somehow... why? Because there's no reviewer who doesnt know what a PC is, what people use it for, what expectations are and what to write about in the review. (This wasnt always so.)

My guess is that at some point in the future, reviewers will learn what a tablet is the same way they learned what a PC is. They'll not try to understand what the device is for, instead they'll point out how Intels new tablet is different from Nokias, talk about the quality of the display, amount of RAM or storage.
Nokias current models might be to tablets what Atari 800s and Commodore 64s were to home computers.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by Sadavyk View Post
wow! talking about VoIP what do you think about this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...pe_3_analysis/
I saw that. And newsnight or something on TV last night were going on about the "technological revolution" and how you can make FREE calls. They're not free, you're just paying differently. And they're skype-to-skype only. And it's not a technological revolution, it's a business model evolution. Muppets. For some reason the whole story annoyed me It took them 10 minutes to basically say that in the near future we will be paying for a mobile data plan (e.g. unlimited data for £x) instead of paying for calls.

</rant>

It's good that three are pushing this tech, but I wish that the reporters were competent. I'm waiting for three to release their "mobile broadband" services on pre-pay.

For some reason the whole story annoyed me It took them 10 minutes to basically say that in the near future we will be paying for a mobile data plan (e.g. unlimited data for £x) instead of paying for calls.

I felt the same way!
I hate these A-holes reporters if you don't use a device how can you write on it. Andrew Orlowski must own stock in cell phone companies how can you call skype users cheapskates? Makes me wonder what will their say when the wimax version tablet is out users are in public on skype?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Well he went to a event and played with it for five minutes. One might argue he wasn't paying attention
I may agree with this but then I wonder why he was writing such a limited article instead of playing with the device some more (if he really wanted to write something about it) or just shut up (if he did not want to go deeper with the device possibilities)