Active Topics

Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
Sorry for this lame teaser.

I'd like to release this as an open source project, but at the moment i'm not comfortable with the patent issue (i'm interested in any advice on this topic)
I live in a country outside the US (and without software patents), so should i just find a code hosting service with no relation with the US ?

Maybe i am too paranoid
I wouldn't worry about it, and just release it. It's not like Jolla is sold in countries with software patents.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Froberg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Italy
I miss Swiftkey!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Deedend For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
And me also !!!

the worst that can happen is you get an email from swype (or nuance, since they own the patents) to remove the app. they're not going to sue you or visit your house at 3am to arrest you.

and if you remove the app after that, you shouldn't face any issues.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
I've took a few days off so i was not responding.

Just to be clear: the application shown in a video was a simple POC which failed in many simple real life situations and had a lot of performance issues (I know how to fix them, but it takes time, and it has already improved a lot since then).

I've got a lot of requests to just "leak" the code (or even more creative ideas). This would result in an unusable product out, and sorry users with crashed phones. IMO this is a very counterproductive solution (and I won't answer the related remaining PMs in my Inbox).

In the meantime i'm improving the code and working on options for release, so please be patient

PS: I did a query on my typing analysis code and prediction database and i've got good separation between "fellation" and "demain", but i'll probably add them to my test cases

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
I've took a few days off so i was not responding.

Just to be clear: the application shown in a video was a simple POC which failed in many simple real life situations and had a lot of performance issues (I know how to fix them, but it takes time, and it has already improved a lot since then).

I've got a lot of requests to just "leak" the code (or even more creative ideas). This would result in an unusable product out, and sorry users with crashed phones. IMO this is a very counterproductive solution (and I won't answer the related remaining PMs in my Inbox).

In the meantime i'm improving the code and working on options for release, so please be patient

PS: I did a query on my typing analysis code and prediction database and i've got good separation between "fellation" and "demain", but i'll probably add them to my test cases
Missed this when you released the original video. Good luck and take your time.

Whilst I'm not a patent lawyer, I'm pretty certain that everywhere outside the US, if you're not using Swype's code, there's no possible way for you to get in trouble, even if you're selling it. As far as the idea of swiping to type infringing on patents ... Swiftkey use this too, and AFAIK they have no patent licensing agreement with Swype. They profit from the app, and there has been no legal action. Also, despite being a UK company, they have an office in San Francisco, and it's now available for iOS as well as Android. I'd say if there was a problem, we'd know about it.

I think you're absolutely fine to carry on, and even profit from it once Jolla finally have a paid for app store, as long as you haven't 'borrowed' any proprietary code and can demonstrate that your code is original or the bits of it that aren't are openly available.

P.S. Swiftkey is top of the free (paid themes) iOS app charts currently, residing at #1.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-09-19 at 23:12.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Any news on this project.

Now that even Apple have got Swype I'm reminded how much I miss this input method.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2012 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Really, we need a swype keyboard. :/
hahaha

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
I have a nasty feeling we may have lost Eber42 and his gesture-based keyboard. Which, given that the other effort I am aware of in this regard (Skeyer by Dinesh) was put on hold to await Eber42's solution, is rather a shame ...

Perhaps I should go back to petitioning Jolla themselves to make a deal with Swype.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
@strongm, i dont think that there will do a deal with swype. Swype and other Keyboards log your data. I think the best way is to modify the exist keyboard with swype feature gesture.... hope jolla will do that in the near future

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype