Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Yup $11 to the UK is correct (basically anywhere overseas is $11 for the small tablet-related stuff) for the OEM version (that is you get the USB100M and everything that normally comes with it in the retail package (original blister pack thing, cables, manual, etc), just not the big "Linksys/Cisco" blue and orange box itself because it's such a waste of space and basically triples the shipping costs).

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
I have bought a Digitus USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter (from Tragant Computer?) and it simply doesn't work. It reports:

- device v07a6 p8515 is not supported
- rejected 1 configuration due to insufficient available bus power
- 192mA power budget left

Photo of the little beast

I was hoping the Pegasus driver would support the 8515 and that it wouldn't require that much power - apparently I was wrong on both. So beware...

Sorry about your luck there Petr; generally speaking though USB 2.0 chipsets seem to require more power than the USB 1.1 versions, which ends up being where the difference comes in; so if you're looking at other alternatives than the ones already listed up in the Wiki, try to find one that you can either identify the actual chip on, or that doesn't "tote itself" as USB 2.0 (There are actually quite a few "10/100mbps" adapters that are USB 1.1... in reality they don't operate at 100mpbs, but then the tablet's USB interface also won't handle that level of throughput anyway...)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
petr, can you document your experience in the wiki, as we have with previous devices (bottom of page)?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Here's a USB-to-Ethernet (plus three-socket USB hub) from a place in Seattle that makes custom cables. I don't know the chipset or anything, and I decided I'm better off with a Travel Router for my purposes so I haven't bought one; but they deal on the internet, and at least locally they offered to let me bring it back if it didn't work with the N800. Here's the product page. I think it at least looks good.

I just got a DIGITUS 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet USB adapter DN-3015 from amazon.de:

http://www.amazon.de/Digitus-100-Eth...5670180&sr=8-1

It is an USB 1.1 device and uses 120mA max.

I haven't tested it extensively but using an micro A to USB female adapter it works out-of-the-box following the HOWTO:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
First I'd like to thank Rob for writing his HOWTO to help users reach the real-world goal of connecting to the internet in a hotel room. The Tablets (especially the N770) are perfect for travel, but the advantage of compactness is lost if you also have to carry an AP for locations lacking WiFi. Unless you have a local SIM, GPRS connections can be prohibitively expensive. There are other blogs and wikis and apps for USB networking, but they aim to connect a Tablet with another Linux computer, which also must be configured to accept the connection. Not many hotel managers would let a guest configure the hotel's computer or router.

Can someone confirm that usbLAN will not work with OS2008HE? In Rob's example of the dmesg when he connects his Linksys adapter, there is a line:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using musb_hdrc and address 9 .

The N770 does not use musb_hdrc, not even in 2008HE. Mine tried to use ohci to connect the RTL8150 device. The funny thing is, the WIRED connection came up in Connections Manager, and all the correct lights came on, including the router's LED for the relevant wired port. However, the browser would not show any web pages.

The adapter works perfectly on the PC, which identifies it as being indeed a Realtek RTL8150.

Kate Alhola's edits of /etc/dnsmasq.conf and /etc/network/interfaces didn't help, whether combined with usbLAN or with the dummy IAP. During these attempts, I had disabled MAC filtering on the router.

With the dummy IAP approach, the Tablet did reach the stage of "Waiting for RNDIS". Do hotels usually have the appropriate RNDIS driver? I have not installed it on my PC, because I want to connect the Tablet with the router and internet, not with the PC.

Has anyone succeeded in connecting an N770 to a hotel room's ethernet port?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Have to admit I've never tried it on a 770; I know the USB stuff is a lot more difficult because to get host mode working don't you have to feed power back into the tablet or something odd like that?

Anyways, you said that the lights come on on the device so that's usually a good sign, and if the dummy IAP actually automatically appears that's also a good thing as it means the UDEV stuff is running. Is the 2008HE inline with Chinook or Diablo by the way? Because I know they changed the ICD (the thing that manages internet connections) in Diablo, and thus why there are still two version of the package though I believe that I tried to make the Diablo one as backwards compatible as possible...

One thing I can recommend trying to help troubleshoot is going into xterm, becoming root, and 1) type in "route" and see what the routing table shows (i.e. does it see your eth0 adapter with an IP), 2) do an ifconfig (and see if eth0 is listed and if it does indeed have an IP and 3) if both those are good try a ping to see if traffic will actually go across the interface. If the ping works then it's definitely something goofy with the ICD stuff...

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yikes, the wiki links no longer work... ???

EDIT: I found the following wiki article -- http://wiki.maemo.org/USB_networking

However, the article where we described device testing appears to have vanished...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-05-07 at 15:05.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Dear Rob/jolouis,

You are very kind to make such a detailed reply to my frustrated grumble. I really would like to know if anyone out there has ever accessed web pages on a 770 connected to a hotel LAN by cable. I had made up my mind to stop wasting time on something which is perhaps not even possible. The old USB_networking wiki gives instructions for connecting to the internet, but they only work if the LAN host is specifically configured to allow the Tablet connection. If there had been a way to do it without configuring the host, Michael Mlivoncic would surely have described it. (My apologies go to Michael for my implication that only Linux hosts were ever considered. He also went into great detail about configuration of a Windows host.)

You ask whether 2008HE is in line with Chinook or Diablo. The answer is, it's in line with Chinook - in most ways. USB handling is one of the ways in which it remains in line with the older N770 OS's. This may have something to do with the hardware, and is the reason why I am not confident of ever getting the hotel-room thing to work. For example, the famous "echo host" command line in 2008HE is still "echo host > sys/devices/platform/tahvo-usb/otg_mode" as in pre-N800 systems. The "/musb_hdrc/mode" ending is for true OS2008 on Nokia 8x0.

The USB Control application does not work in 2008HE - another indication of the differences in USB handling.

During my earlier attempts, there were some spectacular crashes of the browser, the Tablet and the router . The dmesg indicated an overload of some kind. That was a few weeks ago, and I am not sure what I was doing differently. There is always the possibility that the "native support" of RTL8150 got burned out. Now I just get the usual "Web page not found" message on the browser. The dmesg does not mention the product and manufacturer by name (although the PC has no trouble identifying Realtek RTL8150). Other than "usb 1-1: device v0bda p8150 is not supported", I do not get any of the dmesg output that you have quoted. I can not tell from memory whether or not there was more a few weeks ago, before the spectacular crashes.

eth0 is not listed in the ifconfig.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I have coiled up my ethernet cable and am not trying anything else unless I hear of an actual hotel-room connection on 770.

The rest of this post doesn't really belong in this thread, but might be interesting to N770 users who have had a hard time working through some of the old threads about USB host mode.

Host mode on the 770 is not so difficult as some of the ITT threads make it seem. If I can find the post again, I should give thanks to the member who first suggested using a USB power-data "Y" cable. [Oh, it was Fanoush. Done it.] The cables can be found as eBay "Buy It Now" items for about $5 US, including shipping from Hong Kong to USA, Canada and most European countries. You can also get a power adapter intended for recharging ipods, for even less than $5; it gives a reliable 5V output from a USB port, plugs in to anything in the range 100-240 VAC at 50 or 60 Hz, and weighs 32 grams. Between them, these items eliminate the hardware hacking which gets so much attention in the old ITT threads.

If you are attaching cables to the Tablet, you are probably sitting at a table in a room with a power outlet into which you can plug the ipod charger. For anyone who insists on total portability and is willing to spend $25 to $55 Canadian, Noma makes three models of rechargeable battery packs with USB ports (lower price for NiMH batteries, higher for Li-ion 3250 mAh). With the Li-ion Noma pack, you don't need to carry chargers for Tablet and cell phone. (The NiMH model is also supposed to replace all other chargers, but most users find it inadequate.) I haven't seen the Noma packs or anything equivalent in the States, or even in any store other than Canadian Tire. Sorry.

The other cause of confusion in the old threads is that people were trying to activate host mode (and even publishing scripts which purported to activate host mode) without inserting the ohci-hcd host controller and other modules needed for their drives and keyboards. This is clarified by Fanoush in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=44457&postcount=4 and http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=44550&postcount=13 . If you are using Fanoush's initfs for multiple bootable partitions and want to make host mode the default for one of the partitions, you can throw all of the host modules in with the MENU_X_MODULES and insert them during the boot. It's dirty, but it works. Unfortunately, you still have to run the command "echo host > /sys/devices/platform/what/ever" as root. I decided that if I had to use the command line anyway, I might as well activate host mode more cleanly by running a script with a lot of insmod lines and the "echo host"command built in.

Similarly for removing the modules and activating peripheral mode. If you don't remove the modules, odd things happen in peripheral mode. Any files created after the "echo peripheral" command will be invisible to your PC. There might be other strange things. To be truly in peripheral mode, you have to remove the host modules. The good news is, you only have to write rmmod and the name of the module (asix or whatever), not the whole directory string.