Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
It's smaller than the 5.5 inch Moto Z keyboard. Different ratio.

Also bigger screen gives a much bigger battery and standby time in general.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post

Possably. But does it actually exist and proven or is it just a plan?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post

I don't understand, if the diagonal size is higher, how can this phone be smaller ? Are you talking about the phone thickness ? This isn't the main deal about pant pockets and using a phone with only one hand. On my part, I have the Jolla phone, so it's more 4.5" than 5.5".
And is it possible to know which thumb size average did you find ?

The battery life "problem" isn't when the phone is in standby but when it is used (GPS, web navigation, games, etc). In this cases, a bigger screen means a higher power consumption.

That's only an idea, but maybe with a poll sent from your mailing list can you ask your potential customers what sizes do they would like and what sizes can they accept ? Of course, it will be relevant only if you can still change the phone size, which is maybe not possible anymore regarding your project development (I don't know at which stage are you).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
I don't understand, if the diagonal size is higher, how can this phone be smaller ? Are you talking about the phone thickness ? This isn't the main deal about pant pockets and using a phone with only one hand. On my part, I have the Jolla phone, so it's more 4.5" than 5.5".

The battery life "problem" isn't when the phone is in standby but when it is used (GPS, web navigation, games, etc). In this cases, a bigger screen means a higher power consumption.

That's only an idea, but maybe with a poll sent from your mailing list can you ask your potential customers what sizes do they would like and what sizes can they accept ? Of course, it will be relevant only if you can still change the phone size, which is maybe not possible anymore regarding your project development (I don't know at which stage are you).
The phone will be slightly less wide than the Motorola (due to aspect ratio) , and the height will be slightly less I think, due to less bezel (black frame around the screen, particularly bottom bezel (which I'm basing on the picture in the newsletter)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb

no, not necessarily. Sure, bigger screen usually need more power for the same peak brightness as smaller one but from 5" to 6" that's not really a huge jump so the room for bigger battery can easily compensate for that.
Insane resolutions for 5-6 inches screen is another story.
And while I did liked my N900, I can say that the keyboard experience was not something that we should ask for in 2019. And I can type on 10" tablet in landscape with two thumbs
Anyway, I hope that you do realize that the starting point for this was motomod keyboard that was for 5.5" device. And that ~6" screen is new normal these days so probably cheaper than some quality one in 4.5" size. And that people prefer bigger screen so this way it has more chance to succeed. People on this forum is not exactly the target market for this device and that's why android is also OS of choice. If we want something that's more in the line with public here than this must succeed as it is outside of this forum.

edit: BTW, I think that the animation on readyfx could be the approximate size of the device if I compare that with my 5.5" moto x play. It looks like it's 5-6mm taller but the rest fits the description given here in various posts.

Last edited by kinggo; 2018-12-15 at 21:29.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
... A bigger screen also means more battery consumption, less solid, less possibility to use the screen with only one hand, and it will not be always possible to keep it in the pants pockets.
On an other hand, with a Nokia N900, I didn't read any comment saying the keyboard was to much small.

On my part, my favorite screen size is 4-4.5", and I have an average hand size for my country. 5" and 5.5" is big but well, since it's the only device which interrest me, why not. But 6" is waaaaayyyy to much.
I would agree that a phone the size of say the iPhone6 would be ideal for me. I do enjoy never thinking about if my phone will fit into my pocket or will the screen crack because it's glass

I will say that this phone should theoretically not bend as easy since it essentially 2 ply structure (who knows really), also like other have mention the bezels will be very small seem like from what we've seen similar like Samsung s8-ish maybe.

I never minded the keyboard size, but remember where the n900 came from ... the n800 and n810 which were both larger ... so lots of people complain about the keyboard, missing rows and all type of other things .

This is hopefully the first of more than one product so perhaps there is room for smaller version in the future, I mean there does seem to be a smaller device trends trying to enter the market.

There were and still issues with the Gemini that I have, but I'm super happy it got to market and got looked at by sites like verge and others. Will this phone be perfect ... not for me (would love a pen & no android blobs) ... but darning if it's not the closest we come so far to having something close to what we want.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
.... People on this forum is not exactly the target market for this device and that's why android is also OS of choice. If we want something that's more in the line with public here than this must succeed as it is outside of this forum.
I don't really agree with this point, I think the people on this forum and the types that care about keyboard are their direct target. And that the android thing is kind of a must to get to market and have a chance of success. If the android market really wanted a keyboard the Moto's of the world would still be a bigger thing. I also think we aren't the only market since that would be too small most likely. I'm only guessing so I could be completely wrong.

x

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
edit: BTW, I think that the animation on readyfx could be the approximate size of the device if I compare that with my 5.5" moto x play. It looks like it's 5-6mm taller but the rest fits the description given here in various posts.
Interesting, I wonder how accurate this assumption could be .

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Possably. But does it actually exist and proven or is it just a plan?
Yes. It does...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
Yes. It does...
I have only seen some proto sliders. Is that what you mean or do you have anything to boot up?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Just having some fun

Tried to make it more accurate, but kinda shooting in the dark. But dam this make me excited ... lol

Last edited by xman; 2018-12-16 at 08:57.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit