....Not so EASY Debian...

Folks, I'm having a bit of difficulty with easy-debian on my N810.

Any time I try and run anything within debbie I get a message about a missing
"libXext.so.6".

I've checked in the image and there's a symbolic link there but it's pointing at nothing. I tried to see if I could copy the file in from the maemo /usr/lib but it wouldn't let me write...

Any ideas?

BTW My image expanded to a 1GB size ext2 file, everywhere seems to be talking about a 2GB file? The original bz2 image was debian-squeeze-img.tar.bz2" from qole.org datated 30 April 2009.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
torrent99: The references to the 2GB image are from the N900 version. You can try that version out if you want, it should work. A full list of everything you can download from my site is at qole.org/files

As for the missing libXext.so.6, I'm not sure why it is missing for you, but Debian says that it can be found in the libxext6 package. So, use the Debian Chroot terminal to do the following:

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall libxext6

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Hi guys.
Yesterday, I installed Debian on my device but now I have a few questions.
First of all, to install it, I used Maemo-extras repo and downloaded Easy-chroot, which automatically installed Easy-deb too. I launched this, selected MyDocs and the download started and took about 45 minutes over WiFi. My main question is: at the end of the download, the total number download was something like 290121434, which means that I only downloaded about 290 mb?
Is this normal? Shouldn't it be like 1.4 gigabites?

Thanks a lot for your help

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
gtessier00: The download is only about 300mb, but that's because it is compressed. The installer should then take this compressed file and decompress it to its full size. Did you get a message about the decompression not working?

Run the installer again, choose MyDocs again, the installer should say you already have the file, check it, then either finish downloading it or start decompressing it.

Please note that this thread is for the N800/N810 version of Easy Debian. Your reference to MyDocs suggests you are installing on an N900, which means you should be posting in this thread.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
torrent99: The references to the 2GB image are from the N900 version. You can try that version out if you want, it should work. A full list of everything you can download from my site is at qole.org/files
Call me slow, but you're saying that I can use the N900 easy debian image on my N810? Just swap the images, and I'm ready to go??

hordeman:

Yes, it should run fine on the N8x0s, although it won't run any faster.
If you want the dark theme that I use on the N900, choose "MurrinaNightOrange".

hordeman:

Sorry for another silly question, but when I replace the image, how will it know to add new icons to my hildon menu? I presume there are a couple of extra apps in the v3 image. Or are they only accessible via lxde?

I don't actually think there are any extra apps in the v3b image. But if you want to make Maemo icons for Debian apps, you can just copy the ooo.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon to a new name, then change the Name, GenericName, Exec, and Icon fields. The new Exec field should be:
Exec=debbie <command>

The one thing that might not work is the sound...

hordeman:

I just tried the v3b image, but I got an error saying the image couldn't be found; I double-checked the path to make sure it was correct. Then, via a terminal, the file is listed as being too big for having a file size reported. I have it on fat partition; so, that may really just be the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
hordeman: that's interesting, a 2GB file is too big for the N8x0?

I'll try to do some testing...

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free